Are all Taylors creams to be now changed?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
merkurman

Are all Taylors creams to be now changed?

Post by merkurman »

I read with mounting anger at the tinkering with Taylors avacado cream, I have used this for a couple of years because it left my skin very moisturized after my shave, the latest tub I have smells differant and actually has an astringent effect on my face leaving it very dry ,it now takes hours for my face to return to its normal supplenes and probably normal p.h. THEY HAVE RUINED IT, I have reverted to my next favourite flavor almond and all is well, if they mess around with this I will never buy another Taylors product again ,why cant they leave something alone that has stood the test of time for over a century.
Last edited by merkurman on Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

wow, and to think that with all this talk about the moisturizing avocado, i wanted to try it. looks like a flyer for me on this one

sam
Climb14er

Post by Climb14er »

I also received my regular pot of Mr. Taylors along with the Avocado last week.

When this 'change' hit home yesterday re: the formulation, I opened the pot of Mr. Taylor and it was hard, 2/3's 'full', and the fragrance had changed and the smell of cinnamon was the first to hit my nose.

I asked Mr. Klein about this as well and he said that after they fill the pots, they wait approx 3-4 weeks before they sell and ship them.

He said that I must have gotten the last of the batch before they shipped the most recent batches, thus, the settling and the hardness of the 'cream'.

The last few batches of Mr. Taylor is the newer labeling and perhaps, a 'new' reformulation. :roll:

These are all the Taylors I recently purchased. I've got some T & H coming in and with the hubub re: Taylors, I'm going to Trumper!
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
vontech

Post by vontech »

Maybe we could all get together and sign a post showing our disappointment in their new formulation. Sounds like we may be going from their strongest supporters to truly dissatisfied non-supporters.

I tried my new Taylor's Avocado last week and it really was lousy. It dried on my face AND made my face dry. I thought it was me and switched to Nancy Boy mid-shave. No problems with NB, in fact, I love it!

Tom
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

well, maybe robert at the gentlemens shop can weigh in. or even the vulfix company since they also make creams. someone mentioned in another thread that their taylor lavender was different.

sam
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Hmmm.... mixed news, on one hand I liked the Avocado, on the other hand it cuts out a manufacturer and I have too many creams anyway.

I wonder if I can now do an ebay/black market sell of my avaocado?? Bill it as Pre-altered cream.

Cliff
"Everything that can be invented, has been invented."
-Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

cliff: only the fake taylor avocado cream is worthy of ebay status. the real stuff you just offer it up to others as a pay it forward or samples

sam
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Sam wrote:cliff: only the fake taylor avocado cream is worthy of ebay status. the real stuff you just offer it up to others as a pay it forward or samples

sam
Only joking Sam, I like the "old" avocado too much to part with it. Unfortunately all I have left is about half-a-tube. Oh well......

Cliff
"Everything that can be invented, has been invented."
-Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899.
Steve

Taylor's Response to Shaving Cream Reformulation(s)

Post by Steve »

Below is the text of an email I received from Taylor's regarding the reformulation of their shaving cream(s):

[i]We only reformulate our products when we have no choice, i.e. when EU regulations require it, or when original ingredients are no longer available (this is due to the fact that some of our original formulations are very old). We never reformulate for the sake of it.

Last April the EU made amendments to the list of ingredients allowed in toiletry products, including fragrances and colours. As a law abiding company, we do have to follow the guidelines set by the EU. We understand that in the US regulations are different, however last year we had to alter the colour used in our Lavender Shaving Cream as it was found the original colour was prohibited in the US. We therefore have to follow both EU and US directives in order to sell worldwide.

If we have to completely reformulate an item, we totally re-brand it. However, the Avocado and Lavender Shaving creams have not been completely altered; rather some ingredients have had to change. Any minor ingredients changes can cause a product to smell, feel and look slightly different.

We can assure you that we manufacture to the same high standards as we always have, and that Taylor of Old Bond Street is still, and will remain, a family business.

If you do have any further questions, we are more than happy to answer them.

Kindest Regards,
Barry Klein
Taylor of Old Bond Street
reginald-van-gleason

Post by reginald-van-gleason »

Thanks Steve. That's sad.

Why would the EU require the change of a few ingredients that have been part of a successful formula for years? Is it an issue of health? Environment? Or are they encouraging countries to import certain products from other countries, creating a sort of "trade quota"? Or are they just throwing their bureaucratic weight around? I didn't think Great Britain was fully part of the EU -- they still use the pound.

I recently received a pot of Mr. Taylor's shave cream off of the selling/trading forum, and though I am new to this scent, based on the descriptions, I'd say its a new batch. The label is a sticker, not printed on the container as my other Taylor's pots are. The cream itself is quite hard -- almost "lard" like in its consistency (sorry for that imagery). And while I am not familiar with the Mr. Taylor's scent, I can tell you that compared to other scents I've tried, this one smells much stronger and more "synthetic". I must admit, however, my nose is not as well trained or sophisticated as some of the experts around here. Just my subjective tastes.

I've become a fan of Taylor's St. James line of cologne and cream. I certainly hope this change doesn't affect their colognes, but based on the letter I'd say it has to. Ah well. We'll soon see if its for the worse.

RVG
lint

Post by lint »

hrmm wondering if the recent news of J.Petermans 1903 in a tub change is somehow related to this.

-todd
reginald-van-gleason

Post by reginald-van-gleason »

Todd, I think you're on to something there... J.Peterman's is made by Creightons, isn't it?

RVG
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Wow...I had the same experience with my tub of Mr. Taylors. I bought it around 3 weeks ago. I only used it once and thought nothing of it. After reading this thread and more closely observing the cream, it is definitely different from ALL other Taylors I have in my inventory. The cream is indeed "harder" and does not lather quite the same as my Taylors Sandalwood, etc. This is so sad. I hope this does not affect my dear Trumpers!
reginald-van-gleason wrote:Thanks Steve. That's sad.

Why would the EU require the change of a few ingredients that have been part of a successful formula for years? Is it an issue of health? Environment? Or are they encouraging countries to import certain products from other countries, creating a sort of "trade quota"? Or are they just throwing their bureaucratic weight around? I didn't think Great Britain was fully part of the EU -- they still use the pound.

I recently received a pot of Mr. Taylor's shave cream off of the selling/trading forum, and though I am new to this scent, based on the descriptions, I'd say its a new batch. The label is a sticker, not printed on the container as my other Taylor's pots are. The cream itself is quite hard -- almost "lard" like in its consistency (sorry for that imagery). And while I am not familiar with the Mr. Taylor's scent, I can tell you that compared to other scents I've tried, this one smells much stronger and more "synthetic". I must admit, however, my nose is not as well trained or sophisticated as some of the experts around here. Just my subjective tastes.

I've become a fan of Taylor's St. James line of cologne and cream. I certainly hope this change doesn't affect their colognes, but based on the letter I'd say it has to. Ah well. We'll soon see if its for the worse.

RVG
:::Vince:::
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

reginald-van-gleason wrote:Todd, I think you're on to something there... J.Peterman's is made by Creightons, isn't it?
My tub says "made in USA". The response I get from my letter to them (if any) should be interesting.

--Mark
baldchin

Post by baldchin »

I bought a tub of Taylor's Avocado recently and wasn't all that impressed with it. The Lavendar is great and so is the Rose, though I haven't used either more than 3 or 4 times. The only strange note for me are the bright colours.

I have noticed recently that the Avocado performs much better for me when I build some lather first, rather than just lathering on the face - my normal practice.
Will

If it's smokin' it's cookin', when it's black it's done.