This soap is worthless

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
crackstar

This soap is worthless

Post by crackstar »

I received a German-made soap a while back and I shaved with it twice, and to be honest, it is PITIFUL. It has a nice scent, but the lather is not too easily-made, and the stability is not that good. The soap is called Alpen-Speik.

Ease of lathering: 5/10--Very difficult to get proper lather.

Longevity of lather: 1/10--No good at all. Disappears almost right away.

General skincare: 6/10--Drying, and you need a good moisturizer.

Scent: 8/10--The best part of this stuff. Very traditional.

Price: N/A--I have no clue. It was a Gut Rasiert PIF from a friend.

Would I buy again: 0/10--Not a chance. This is a reject all the way.

It's rare to find stuff from Germany which is subpar, but it does exist. Unfortunately, this is one of them. Ah well, you win some, you lose some! :lol: (and some are rained out!)

JEFF
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Once I tried a "MWF" type of soap from Florida that I received for free. No matter what I did or what brush I used, all I got was suds, no lather.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Nice looking bowl at least.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

ditto on the bowl sentiment!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

desertbadger wrote:Once I tried a "MWF" type of soap from Florida that I received for free. No matter what I did or what brush I used, all I got was suds, no lather. ...
Who would dare market a product as "MWF" type???? Curses and blast be to them. :twisted:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

Thalay Sagar wrote:Nice looking bowl at least.
Oh yeah, the bowl's ok. But the soap.......... [-(
JEFF
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Must be the Curse of the Fat Wendell.
Regards,
Squire
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

jww wrote:
desertbadger wrote:Once I tried a "MWF" type of soap from Florida that I received for free. No matter what I did or what brush I used, all I got was suds, no lather. ...
Who would dare market a product as "MWF" type???? Curses and blast be to them. :twisted:
I think that must be the wool fat soap sold by Classic Shaving. It's true - it lathers nearly as well as Lothantique, which is to say, not at all. And it smells horrible.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

drmoss_ca wrote:
jww wrote:
I think that must be the wool fat soap sold by Classic Shaving. It's true - it lathers nearly as well as Lothantique, which is to say, not at all. And it smells horrible.

Chris
Chris, you won't believe me - I actually get pretty good lather from Lothantique soap. It's not like Tabac or Arko lather, but still better than just decent. :)
JEFF
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

fallingwickets wrote:ditto on the bowl sentiment!

clive
Clive, I think the bowl is the best part of this soap. Oh wait, the scent is very nice also, but it ends right there!
JEFF
GregPQ

Post by GregPQ »

Is this the same as the Speick shave stick? I just used the Speick stick this morning for the first time and found it lathered nicely.

Greg
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

GregPQ wrote:Is this the same as the Speick shave stick? I just used the Speick stick this morning for the first time and found it lathered nicely.

Greg
Not at all. This is an artisan soap. (I believe) This soap cannot even hope to perform as well as a Speick stick on its worst day.
JEFF
brothers

Post by brothers »

GregPQ wrote:Is this the same as the Speick shave stick? I just used the Speick stick this morning for the first time and found it lathered nicely.

Greg
Greg, thankfully, not anywhere near the performance of Speick! I have a theory, actually nothing more than an observation, but I think maybe Speick and Palmolive have been able to duplicate or copy the old formula (but of course, not the fragrance) that used to be used by Yardley in their soap.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Janus

Post by Janus »

I have to agree with the OP. Great scent, poor performance. Made in Vienna, Austria by Stobaseife.
http://www.stobaseife.at/produktseite.p ... &t=ybbV743
I also have their cedar shaving soap, with similar characteristics. What a shame, and costs a pretty penny.
Janus
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

Janus wrote:I have to agree with the OP. Great scent, poor performance. Made in Vienna, Austria by Stobaseife.
http://www.stobaseife.at/produktseite.p ... &t=ybbV743
I also have their cedar shaving soap, with similar characteristics. What a shame, and costs a pretty penny.
The one I have was sent to me by a very good friend of mine from Gut Rasiert along with 2 Calani soaps, a Palmolive Original cream, and a Golddachs Spezial soap. He told me that this soap was the type which needs patience and effort to acheive good lather, but I never expected this. :(
JEFF
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

crackstar wrote:
drmoss_ca wrote:
jww wrote: Who would dare market a product as "MWF" type???? Curses and blast be to them. :twisted:

Chris
Chris, you won't believe me - I actually get pretty good lather from Lothantique soap. It's not like Tabac or Arko lather, but still better than just decent. :)
Yes, Chris, that's the one. They gifted me a puck of it when I visited them. One of the few pucks of shave soap I actually threw away.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

crackstar wrote:The one I have was sent to me by a very good friend of mine from Gut Rasiert along with 2 Calani soaps, a Palmolive Original cream, and a Golddachs Spezial soap. He told me that this soap was the type which needs patience and effort to acheive good lather, but I never expected this.:(

Nu, khaver, you need European water to lather it! Didn't you get the memo? :P
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

Odio Barbillas wrote:
crackstar wrote:The one I have was sent to me by a very good friend of mine from Gut Rasiert along with 2 Calani soaps, a Palmolive Original cream, and a Golddachs Spezial soap. He told me that this soap was the type which needs patience and effort to acheive good lather, but I never expected this.:(

Nu, khaver, you need European water to lather it! Didn't you get the memo? :P
Ulai ata tsodek! (maybe you're right!)
JEFF
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

No such thing as a soap that's worthless. It can always be used as an example of a terrible soap.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

crackstar wrote:
Odio Barbillas wrote:Nu, khaver, you need European water to lather it! Didn't you get the memo? :P
Ulai ata tsodek! (maybe you're right!)
What else could it be, I ask you?! :shock:
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS