Storage of soft soaps

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
GA Russell

Storage of soft soaps

Post by GA Russell » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:03 pm

Is it the consensus here that soft soaps like Cella should be kept in the refrigerator when not in rotation, or is that an old wives tale?

What say you?
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed

druphus

Post by druphus » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:33 pm

That's what I do.
Regards,
Andy

CMur12

Post by CMur12 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:52 pm

I do the same. With that much moisture in the soap, the animal (or any other) fat, and no preservatives, I don't expect it to last forever.

I don't refrigerate the portion of soap that I'm using, but I do refrigerate the rest.

- Murray
Give me Soap or give me death!

Dale

Post by Dale » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:03 am

I refrigerate my soft soaps and creams.
Regards,
Dale

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:28 am

I keep mine in a cool room, but not a fridge. I think they will dry out rather more quickly in a fridge.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:34 am

drmoss_ca wrote:I keep mine in a cool room, but not a fridge. ...
+1 -- and I would add that it is stored in a dark place as well - not sure that even matters, but it's what I do.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?

Gene

Post by Gene » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:42 am

I don't.

I keep my Cella in its red container, stored in my assigned drawer in the bathroom.

It's dark in there for sure, maybe it's cool, too?

Either way - it seems just as fresh as the day I opened it.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:44 pm

Joe suggested to me to store my stash of p.160 cool and dark. Cool meaning comfortable to the skin. I took it one step further and have it in the refrigerator out in the shop. It's all sealed and in individual containers. The one in use just stays in the cabinet in the bathroom. It's cool and dark there.

If it does begin to dry out (it hasn't yet- I've checked) it's easy enough to add some boiled water to each container. The croap will soak it up in a heartbeat.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite http://www.krampertsfinest.com/
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square

JayTrek

Post by JayTrek » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:53 pm

drmoss_ca wrote:I keep mine in a cool room, but not a fridge. I think they will dry out rather more quickly in a fridge.

Chris
I'm no scientist. But logic tells me that you are right on this, Chris.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...

GA Russell

Post by GA Russell » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:40 pm

LOL!! Logic tells me that Chris and Wendell have cool rooms in Canada in December!

Thanks for your input, guys. I'm getting a couple of soft soaps for Christmas, so I'll put them in the fridge until I'm ready to use them.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed

Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:59 pm

Until ready for use, a Rubbermaid container in my closet.

It's dark, cool, and dry.

Never had a problem.

Have a Merry Christmas and a safe and Happy New Year.

(I'm excited, my daughter is coming home this week. We celebrate Christmas early because she's a Nurse Practitioner and is on call on Christmas day.)
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...

brothers

Post by brothers » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:07 pm

Oscar, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too!

I've just kept mine in a drawer with the others. I have considered keeping stuff in the refrig, but I'm not sure I'd ever find it again. I almost never use up a product, unless I set my mind to it. I finished up one product last month, and am 17 days into a new tub of SRD soap. I've thought of getting a 1K brick of 3P, but why? I've got enough stuff to last at least as long as I'll probably be interested in the act of shaving.
Gary

SOTD 99%: soaps & creams, synthetic/boar/badger brushes, General V2 by Colonial, Kai & Schick blades, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444

m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:37 pm

Might be extreme, but I vacuum sealed two 500g blocks of P160 for post apocalyptic use :lol: .
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:15 pm

I use it up before it has time to change.
Regards,
Squire

TommyDawg

Post by TommyDawg » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:56 pm

seems a long walk to the fridge every morning after shave and before shower.... hahah..
Actually, I had never heard that. We keep our house pretty cool, according to friends and family who visit, so I guess I am okay keeping it in my shave shelf in the bathroom.
Tom

ThePossum

Post by ThePossum » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:44 pm

I had been keeping my creams in the fridge simply because the St Charles Shave creams would like liquify in the summer in my medicine cabinet. While it is not cool in that cabinet I had no problems with my other creams during the summer.

Talked to St Charles Shave and they recommended using the fridge and so I got a little one to sit on a table in my office which is off my bathroom.

Saw no ill effects to my other creams and the SCS creams held up better after being stored in the fridge. Alas, I no longer have any SCS creams. So I decided to move the creams back out to the medicine cabinet and use the fridge for storing some soda and a few bottles of adult beverages. I guess that is a better use for the fridge! :lol:
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum

brothers

Post by brothers » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:49 pm

Checking back through this thread, with a reason to do so. I made a comment earlier that I thought about getting my own 1K block of 3P. The group buy of ABC's Bitter Almond was a catalyst that helped me buy the 3P. Didn't get the Bitter Almond just yet, so the 3P will be my Bitter Almond. Haven't yet decided what to do with long term storage. Maybe I'll just keep it in the drawer in the closet with the other stuff.
Gary

SOTD 99%: soaps & creams, synthetic/boar/badger brushes, General V2 by Colonial, Kai & Schick blades, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444

gsgo

Post by gsgo » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:25 am

So the question is, of all the Italian barbershop soaps which is THE ONE?

I hopped on the ABC buy because I was at the time considering a block of Cella. Have to say that I have been using ABC just about daily since it landed and love the way it performs and give it an edge over Valobra.

So we have ABC, Cella, Vito's, 3P, Valobra (small bricks), others?

My storage thoughts would be well wrapped in a cool dark place, now I just have to pick the block.
Good shaving,

Gary

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:48 am

Gary, IMO of the croaps I've used (ABCBA, P.160, Vitos Red original, Valobra, 3P, Cella, RR R160, and maybe 1 or 2 I can't remember) the ABCBA has the best performance, but what really puts it over the top is the after the shave skin feel. P.160 is #2.

Last I heard Italian Barber still had some P.160 in tubs, and 1 kilo still for sale. But the kilo is a little expensive.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite http://www.krampertsfinest.com/
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square

gsgo

Post by gsgo » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:54 am

ShadowsDad wrote: the ABCBA has the best performance, but what really puts it over the top is the after the shave skin feel.
I agree with you Brian, I thought the French Shea soaps were good post shave but ABC definitely jumps above those easily.
Good shaving,

Gary