Proraso Blue shaving cream - very, very nice scent

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

I've always enjoyed your UK/Euro soap and cream reviews on this forum (and others). You have championed their cause and bought them to the attention of a large number of shavers who might never have even heard of them otherwise.

Keep up the good work chap!
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

joe mcclaine wrote:I've always enjoyed your UK/Euro soap and cream reviews on this forum (and others). You have championed their cause and bought them to the attention of a large number of shavers who might never have even heard of them otherwise.

Keep up the good work chap!
Thanks my friend. I will continue to do my best! :)
JEFF
brothers

Post by brothers »

A birthday looms ahead. According to credible sources, a tube of Proraso Blue is/was on the gift list, and due to the relatively low cost and ready availability, will probably become a reality. Jeff's review was definitely responsible, for sure. Hot diggity dog!

Jeff, I sincerely hope that whoever is giving you all of these products to test and review for our benefit will keep them coming for as long as you can continue with the reviews.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

Gary, this is such an inspiration to me - thanks!
JEFF
brothers

Post by brothers »

Jeff, I've got a question about the Proraso Blue. One of the guys who seldom posts here indicated elsewhere that he thought the Blue lathers poorly. He says it took twice as much product to make a lather comparable to the other Proraso tubes. How do you react to that? I think I'll be receiving a tube myself in a couple of days, and will be looking forward to using it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

I regularly use the Proraso "green", "red" and "blue" and all three lather the same for me. Other than scent and the fact that the red is a bit more emollient than red and blue they function essentially the same.

Chris
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

brothers wrote:Jeff, I've got a question about the Proraso Blue. One of the guys who seldom posts here indicated elsewhere that he thought the Blue lathers poorly. He says it took twice as much product to make a lather comparable to the other Proraso tubes. How do you react to that? I think I'll be receiving a tube myself in a couple of days, and will be looking forward to using it.
Gary, for me the Proraso Blue lathers magnificently, and I put just a drop on the both cheeks, and another small drop on my chin or neck. Then I make wet the brush and BINGO - enough lather to have easily four passes if I want. :)
JEFF
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm thinking maybe that fellow got hold of a bad tube.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

After lathering my SRD Opus X today for the 35th day in a row, before I shaved, I rinsed out the brush and used my new tube of Proraso Blue for the shave of the day. This is clearly an excellent product. I'd expect nothing less from Proraso. It lived up to all of the early positive reviews, and the only negative one I've seen was not supported by my experience today. The poor fellow either got a bad tube, or had a bad day. Probably the latter. I found the fragrance of the Blue to be quite pleasant. The lather was world class, as was the performance. I purposely chose not to use any aftershave product and the post-shave skin feel was moisturizing and not dry or irritated. The razor was the Cobra. For comparison purposes, I'm making a guess that Proraso chose I Coloniali Rhubarb Softening Shaving Cream as their intended head-on competition. There are 3 qualities shared by both shaving creams that are notably excellent: (1.) The fragrance is very pleasant and not going to knock anybody in the nose. (2.) You get a little bonus at the end of your shave with I Coloniali, and with the Blue. A mild and artfully applied touch of menthol. I love it in the I Coloniali, and I also love it in the Proraso Blue. and (3.) The performance during and after the shave is simply world class.
Gary

crackstar

Post by crackstar »

brothers wrote:After lathering my SRD Opus X today for the 35th day in a row, before I shaved, I rinsed out the brush and used my new tube of Proraso Blue for the shave of the day. This is clearly an excellent product. I'd expect nothing less from Proraso. It lived up to all of the early positive reviews, and the only negative one I've seen was not supported by my experience today. The poor fellow either got a bad tube, or had a bad day. Probably the latter. I found the fragrance of the Blue to be quite pleasant. The lather was world class, as was the performance. I purposely chose not to use any aftershave product and the post-shave skin feel was moisturizing and not dry or irritated. The razor was the Cobra. For comparison purposes, I'm making a guess that Proraso chose I Coloniali Rhubarb Softening Shaving Cream as their intended head-on competition. There are 3 qualities shared by both shaving creams that are notably excellent: (1.) The fragrance is very pleasant and not going to knock anybody in the nose. (2.) You get a little bonus at the end of your shave with I Coloniali, and with the Blue. A mild and artfully applied touch of menthol. I love it in the I Coloniali, and I also love it in the Proraso Blue. and (3.) The performance during and after the shave is simply world class.
Gary, I don't know about I Coloniali because I've never tried it, but I agree with you on everything you said about this Proraso Blue cream. I love the scent, I find the lather a pleasure to work with, and the soothing and protection it gives are wonderful. You're right also about the menthol - it's like a little added extra at no charge! :wink:
JEFF
brothers

Re: Proraso Blue shaving cream - very, very nice scent

Post by brothers »

Used it today, wanted to run it alongside Mike's Lime for a few days, while I'm enjoying the Trac II experience. The Proraso Blue - aloe and vitamin e - is arguably one of the finest performing shaving creams coming out of Italy. I love how it smells and I confess I forgot it has a very subtle menthol "kiss" somewhere near the end. Ever since the Trac II was invented, I've always enjoyed the shaves. It's good to encounter an old faithful friend again. This was a nice combo. Smooth is the word.
Gary

razorhead63

Post by razorhead63 »

Hello Gary and all of the others! I myself have used the Proraso red and the CO Bigelows (green) so far. They are both wonderful creams especially the Sandalwood... (I love it!!) there is definitely quality and economy in the Proraso products. The blue Proraso sounds like really good stuff.. according to what you have posted about it... I plan on purchasing some soon to try it out. Thanks for all the info!!!

Regards,
John H.
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

I can't believe it - now this great cream is available in a pharmacie here in Montreal. =D>
JEFF
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

All things come to those who wait Jeff.
Regards,
Squire
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

Squire wrote:All things come to those who wait Jeff.
I agree.
JEFF
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Ain't it a shame that the mere mention of menthol is a total turn off for me.
As it was widely used in patent medicines (e.g.,mentholatum), the scent evokes nothing
but negative memories of a sick room.
Is the menthol a hallmark of all the ProRaso shave products?? I've used the pre/post product
but again smelling like a medicine cabinet proved to be an overwhelmingly negative.
That said, Jeff's review was informative and well done!
jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
brothers

Post by brothers »

To my nose, there's absolutely no menthol fragrance with Proraso Blue.
Gary

rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I don't detect a menthol scent, but the cooling effect is still there, though it's certainly minimal compared to Prorasos I've tried in the past. Nice lathering cream.
Ron
brothers

Post by brothers »

Last evening I accidentally got a bit too much water/not enough cream in the mix. I'm not using it often enough to get the proper instinct about it. I think I should step up and use the Proraso Blue more often, right?! Practice makes perfect. :D
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Usually, but for some practice means repeating the same mistakes.
Regards,
Squire