tube Vs. Pot

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Ken

Post by Ken »

Gordon,

Are you sure about a GFT plastic tube? I recently bought a tube of GFT and it was metal.

I agree that creams in tubes are much less likely to dry out.

Ken
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ken, No, not entirely. As best as I can recall the tubes I've seen ( not many ) of the GFT cream have been in plastic but I may be mistaken. The tube of their Spanish Leather cream I have is most DEFINATELY plastic....but the cream still works well. I just have to be aware that the opening is smaller than with their metal tubes when I'm squeezing out the cream into the lathering bowl. The plastic tube of T&H Lavender that I currently have is also fine, but I have had some real losers that were packaged that way whereas I've never had an 'off' metal tube.
Regards,
Gordon
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

it was TOBS who went with that nasty Plastic)
I bought a tube of tobs lavender a long time ago and about 2 years ago I decided to start using it occasionally to lather up for head shaving. Not long after that, the lid broke off leaving the tube opening exposed. the tobs sat in a drawer for maybe another 18 months before i decided recently to start using it again. What a pita it was near the end....literally twisting the tube like a madman to get the cream out. In the meantime, a pot of t&h rose exemplifies the ease of use and economy of using a pot.

I also have tubes of trumpers in limes and rose, but the few times i used them i wanted to know how to put cream back :lol: :lol:

clive

p.s. reading the other comments I am wondering if i am doing my lather the right way.....i seem to be using a tiny amount of cream and soap compared to the rest of you.......for instance with soap; three or four quick swirls on puck and I'm done. FYI.....my lather is perfect for me; it just seems very different from the rest of you
de gustibus non est disputandum
harper

Post by harper »

I am now using tubs because of the savings and the fact that I am not travelling much anymore and when I do it is primarily by car. I prefer metal tubes because I can squeeze out the precise amount I want which is harder to do with a tub and a knife. I don't like plastic tubes at all because of the lack of uniformity of the openings and the fact that plastic is made out of non-renewable resources while metal can be recycled ... still the tubs are plastic so it is a no-win situation in that respect but three tubs likely use less plastic than six tubes. For the past two days I have not used either ... I picked up the flu and when I got around to shaving I did it mostly in bed using a Braun electric ... which was just ideal for the job. The various medications are now beginning to take effect and by Sunday I will be back to wet shaving.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

fallingwickets wrote:
it was TOBS who went with that nasty Plastic)
p.s. reading the other comments I am wondering if i am doing my lather the right way.....i seem to be using a tiny amount of cream and soap compared to the rest of you.......for instance with soap; three or four quick swirls on puck and I'm done. FYI.....my lather is perfect for me; it just seems very different from the rest of you
Clive, The softness of the water has a huge effect on the amount of soap used. I have extremely soft water and I can use very little product, as you seem to use. Other folks with hard water must use much larger quantities of product to get the same results.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :D (Just another way of saying YMMV)
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite http://www.krampertsfinest.com/
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square