DR HARRIS : OMG

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
gil3591

DR HARRIS : OMG

Post by gil3591 »

ok, so i ordered tubes of dr harris creams. i ran a poll asking about harris vs. trumpers and decided to go with harris based on the poll.

up until this time i had only tried harris lavender and rose creams from samples sent to me from the kindness of smf members. i was unimpressed to say the least with a lack of scent and what i considered so-so lather.

all of that has now changed. i think it's because i finally have enough product to do the cream justice

i received harris rose, arlington and windsor. they are all superior in my opinion and the windsor is beyond belief! totally wonderful! what a joy to finally have a cream that is above the rest. i may be a harris convert for life! \:D/
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
brothers

Post by brothers »

Good for you Gil. The Harris lineup is in it to win. I used to think GFT had their act together, but I was mistaken. Harris and Taylors seem to have some steady hands at the wheel running the show down there in England.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

brothers wrote:Good for you Gil. The Harris lineup is in it to win. I used to think GFT had their act together, but I was mistaken. Harris and Taylors seem to have some steady hands at the wheel running the show down there in England.
+1.

I have a couple of tubes of GFT that I am using up and when they need replacing, it'll be Harris or TOBS.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Don't sell Trufitt short
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sam wrote:Don't sell Trufitt short
Good point. They're having a bit of trouble with some soaps, but evidently the creams are still tip top.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

One thing I learned some time ago is not to be parsimonous with these English creams; use a generous amount of cream if you want to get the optimal lather, especially if your water is less than ideal. I think I said, in that DRH vs. Trumper thread, that the pot of Harris's Rose cream that I currently have is the closest to the old English creams of a decade ago, including Coate's. This may be partially because the cream has firmed up a bit, but regardless, it is a very rich dense cream and only a little is necessary for several passes. With the current Trumpers and T&H I have to use bit more cream to do the trick. None the less, for tubed cream I will probably stick with Trumpers because I much prefer the metal tubes over the plastic. Despite all the ups and downs, the re-formulations, and iffy batches these old school English creams still represent the best overall trad. shaving products as far as I am concerned. In his tutorial on straight razor shaving Chris M. called them "the Rolls Royce of shaving products" and I agree with that. So Gil, I'm glad that you gave them another try and found out why some of us are so fond of some of this type of product.
Regards,
Gordon
Last edited by bernards66 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Gil! use in good health and enjoy to the fullest

the s$t countdown is is still on :lol: :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Bob H

Post by Bob H »

I have'nt used Harris cream in years. Not for any particular reason. Mostly I use Taylors but having seen this post I checked out a few suppliers and see that Harris is nearly twice the price of Taylors. Is it really that much better?
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

bob, it's a personal call. i really like taylors lavender cream. i think for the price i would go with taylors on that one but harris rose and windsor can't be beat. i think the cream quality is a little better with harris. i'm not in this for
saving pennies. i realized that if a product doesn't wow me i get board and move on before i can use it up. so i'm going with products i know i will use in their entirety which may make then cheaper in the long run.
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

bernards66 wrote:Despite all the ups and downs, the re-formulations, and iffy batches these old school English creams still represent the best overall trad. shaving products as far as I am concerned. In his tutorial on straight razor shaving Chris M. called them "the Rolls Royce of shaving products" and i agree with that.
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon, you know, I've tried almost all the English creams and soaps, various 'homemade' soaps and creams, glycerin soaps, 'croaps', etc............In my opinion, and in agreement with your statement, nothing can beat the performance of the English made stuff. I use one of those other creams for a while and say to myself, 'the performance is good' yet when I go back to the English stuff, the performance is way better. Better lather that lasts and doesn't evaporate after 3 seconds, better cushioning, better slickness for razor glide, and better protection against nicks and irritation. Harris soaps for me produce a better lather than most creams, and I hope that Harris will continue to keep this formula. The Harris creams are very close to the ones that used to be made by Coates and the Taylor's are not far behind and offer outstanding value for the money.
Bob, you're getting good quality from those Taylor's creams and the difference is not that much with the Harris creams.
A lot of us have SCAD so we have to try as many creams and soaps as we can.. :wink: :lol:
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Gordon with the TH creams I got in December I find that a dollop the size of two oeas gets me six passes. I am not using any more or less than the Trumpet limes or Coates sandelwood but I find the lather a bit thicker than Trumpet.
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

I found the Taylor's Lavender a thicker lather and don't care for it. Clogs up blade, have to carefully clean blade each (EACH) pass. Went back to Lemon Lime, using same amount and it did not clog blade. Live and learn, or is it, learn and live.
"Life is tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Sam, Yeah, that's been my recent experiance also; I get a little richer/heavier lather with the T&H cream ( both recent pots have been Lavender ) than with the same amount of Trumpers. In fact, I just noted that to myself while shaving this morning. The D R Harris's Rose I have is a little richer still, but that may be because it is more dried out, relatively speaking. The Trumper creams do not, on the whole, seem quite as concentrated as they were when this forum was new. They still work fine, and I favour some of their scents, but I do have to use a bit more cream than with the T&H and Harris's. But, as always, there are variations. The pot of Trumpers Rose that I finished off late in 2011 was very rich and dense. So, there you are.
Regards,
Gordon
oldtrout

Post by oldtrout »

Sam wrote:Don't sell Trufitt short
+1 T&H is very nice.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Well, I've been a soap guy from forever, but lately I've had the itch to buy some old favorite creams, particularly T&H lavender and rose. May have to see if I can squeeze Harris lavender and rose into the mix, too. Ah, a few minutes back here and the debit card prepares to go into hiding. I've missed SMF. :)
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
sunflake

Post by sunflake »

Hey Gil, is the Windsor a strong smelling soap or just a light smell. I really hate soaps or croaps that you can't really smell when face lathering regardless if the lather is fantastic or not. If it don't smell its a no go for me. BTW I love Tabac,Proraso,MdC. Those scents are in your face, No pun intended.
My name is Patrick and I'm Proraso addict and love it!
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

I need a refill of both cream and soap and based on what I'm catching up on here at SMF tonight, it will be Harris that I buy.
Cheers,

Craig
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

sunflake wrote:Hey Gil, is the Windsor a strong smelling soap or just a light smell. I really hate soaps or croaps that you can't really smell when face lathering regardless if the lather is fantastic or not. If it don't smell its a no go for me. BTW I love Tabac,Proraso,MdC. Those scents are in your face, No pun intended.
i think we share the same interest in pungent creams and soaps. i mean, if they go thru all the trouble and expense to please our noses then, by god, give me some scent! :lol: i think harris windor cream may be the strongest harris product and marlburough second. i rate windsor as their best scent. i think trumper's rose may be a better bang for the buck than harris rose cause i am personally liking the shave i get from their sandalwood cream.

lavender creams i rate castle forbes first and taylor's second
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
Nate

Post by Nate »

TRBeck wrote:Well, I've been a soap guy from forever, but lately I've had the itch to buy some old favorite creams, particularly T&H lavender and rose. May have to see if I can squeeze Harris lavender and rose into the mix, too. Ah, a few minutes back here and the debit card prepares to go into hiding. I've missed SMF. :)
There you have it Tim, my favorite lavender and rose creams are respectively T&H, and Harris.
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

Lots of lather with a small amount of Forbes lavender cream from this morning
Cheers,

Craig