Recommendations for Higher End Creams and Soaps

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Chaps

Recommendations for Higher End Creams and Soaps

Post by Chaps »

Ok, men, as most of you know, since I started wet shaving 7 years ago, I have mainly been a drugstore cowboy when it comes to creams and soaps, i.e. Williams Mug, Old Spice, Proraso, etc. But, I want to try some higher end creams and soaps. Can you recommend some that won't break the bank but would be a step up. Thanks in advance.
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Danny -

I can only speak for soaps, but I think the Valobra Shave Stick is outstanding. I grate it up, mash it into a one-cup Pyrex bowl, and use it as a cake.

Two tallow-based artisan soaps that I find to be of top quality:

1. Mike's Natural Soaps: mikesnaturalsoaps.com (no www) and
2. Mystic Water Soaps: www.mystic4men.com

- Murray
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Thanks Murray. I'm gonna check 'em out.
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

tabac soap
palmolive shave stick
mystic men cream from bulgaria
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

First and foremost, the Taylor creams. Granted, they cost more than you're used to paying ( although not that much more than Proraso ) but they are a steal for what you get, and compared with more-or-less comparable creams that cost much more. Okay, in some cases their scents are not up to the standards of Trumpers, D R Harris's, or T&H but the cream itself is very similiar. And they have a large selection of scents to choose from. BTW, get the pots rather than the tubes...better value and often better cream as well.
Regards,
Gordon
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Danny: Oak Hall carries Truefit and Hill, and that is where I got my rose and lavendar at Christmas for 20% off. Maybe they have an Easter coupon book coming out?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

As far as I'm concerned, there is no better high-end shaving cream on the market in terms of value (i.e. cost x efficacy x selection) than TOBS (Taylor's of Old Bond Street). In addition, they make equally as good shaving soap as well as complementing aftershaves and colognes. I've used TOBS's shaving cream as my primary shaving cream for 20 years; I like it as much today as I did 20 years ago. Also, if you're ever in London, England, they have a great shop on Jermyn Street (not Old Bond Street! :wink: ), which is chock a block with shaving gear and supplies; even SWMBO enjoys visiting the shop
with me.

EDIT: For the sake of full disclosure, I also enjoy MWF, C&E creams, Trumpers creams, Body Shop cream and Harris creams, but TOBS is my go-to brand.
Last edited by Rufus on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

MWF --- like you where expecting something different at the top of my list???
DR Harris Lavender and Arlington soaps are two of my favourites.
Ditto on Palmolive in either the stick or the cream as both are excellent, as well as Tabac soap. Cella is nice as well --- and quite reasonably priced.

Recently, I have also become quite enamored with Gold Dachs -- a German soap which has a wonderfully light and clean fragrance, while producing great quality lather. Current C&E soaps are also good -- although the fragrances for me are only so-so as they tend to be strong to my sensitive nose and sometimes leave my skin feeling quite tender. No other soaps do this, so I am thinking it must be the fragrance ingredients that they use.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

One more for Taylor's creams. I would also second Tabac for a soap as well as those from Harris. And of late I have fallen for the Valobra stick grated into a bowl.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I have to admit I have never gone the grating route with Valbora, but have used it in stick form, and it's pretty good stuff.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Gentlemen, thank you all so very much. I have a lot to check out. This is going to be fun :D

Sam, I completely forgot about Oak Hall and I was just in there last week shopping for socks. I'll stop back in.

Many thanks.
Danny

desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Another vote for the "Fat"! Although Palmolive and Arko shave sticks are excellent; I grate mine.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Taylor's for creams and Harris for soaps. You won't be disappointed by the Harris soaps, I don't think there are too many soaps that are better.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

Indeed Taylor for creams and D.R. Harris for soap - lavender is wonderful! Also, be on the lookout later this spring when Bullgoose should have a Valobra stick-inspired fougere shaving soap with tallow. I am waiting for that one.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Provence Sante Verlain

Klar Kabinett (the price may seem like a lot, but it's a huge amount of soap for the price)
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

I don't have much else to suggest, but my first reaction was to mention the Taylor's creams because they are priced very reasonably, and they perform just about as well as any. Of course, if you have a local outlet where you can get some T&H, then you're very fortunate. Regarding cheap but excellent top shelf soaps, then there are Harris, Tabac, MWF, Speick, Palmolive, and the very excellent Valobra hard soap that comes in stick form. I move all of my sticks to bowls because it suits me better that way. You're making a good move here Danny! Let us know what you decide on, and how they work for you.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
rbaloha

Post by rbaloha »

Dr. Selby
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Go Italian with some Cella or a brick of Valobra in almond or menthol, both are good value with top shelf shave performance.
Good shaving,

Gary
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

I am surprised nobody has mentioned Haslinger. This is, in my opinion, a high quality tallow soap from and old line Austrian company for a very good price. West Coast shaving (and others, I'm sure) carries it.
RazorRamone

Post by RazorRamone »

As a rookie to upper crust soaps, I suggest you procure some vintage tallow Penhaligons soap. English Fern would do nicely. Then you can be miserable like me when reminded that your stock has depleted to 1 remaining bowl. :cry:

If you can't find any vintage Pens soap, widely available Harris' Lavender or Almond are good soap choices too.