Mystic Water Irish Traveler soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Mystic Water Irish Traveler soap

Post by brothers »

With encouragement from within SMF I gave myself permission to pick up a couple or three artisan soaps from a few makers who seem to be held in esteem around the forums these days. Michelle @ Mystic Water makes a tallow based range of soaps. Taking a chance, I ordered the Irish Traveler fragrance. It's quite nice, I'm happy to say. A pleasant masculine scent. It took me a couple of practice latherings to get dialed in, and yesterday evening I went with the MW for my second shave with the new razor head, "H" from Above the Tie. Paying attention to go slow with the water and load well with product until the soap explodes with that lather we all know and love so well. There was ample lather for at least 3 full passes, had they been necessary, with plenty left over. I loaded the big Omega 48 for a bit more than my minimum 1 full minute, and it was well worth the effort. Great product and a great shave. Thumbs up! :lol:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

Very good soap, great skin care and lather.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Agreed. I really like this soap, too, and I have a nice little cache of it.

I have found that the trick with this soap is to keep it wet, especially during the early stages of lathering.

- Murray
dosco

Post by dosco »

I tried a puck of her Bay Rum last summer (I work near the Farmer's Market where she sells) and enjoyed the soap immensely.

I'll probably try a menthol soap this spring, after the Farmer's Market opens.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

wow no joke here but i came home from work a little while ago
and there was a box from Mystic Water

i ordered coconut shave soap and shea butter soap

cant wait to try it out in the morning

marc
sunflake

Post by sunflake »

What does the Irish Traveler smell like? Now you have my interest.
My name is Patrick and I'm Proraso addict and love it!
eyebright

Post by eyebright »

It's a Green Irish Tweed dupe, Patrick. It's a high quality fragrance oil.
sunflake

Post by sunflake »

Can you describe green Irish tweed? Never smelled the stuff.
My name is Patrick and I'm Proraso addict and love it!
brothers

Post by brothers »

Patrick, I'm the world's worst for describing a fragrance. The only description I was aware of, and on which I relied before buying, was the one given by Michelle on her website. It must be pretty accurate, and I think she is way better than I am at writing a description of a fragrance. You might want to check it out.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
eyebright

Post by eyebright »

Green Irish Tweed (and my Irish Traveller) is a blend of lemon, lemon verbena, iris and violet leaves (for the green notes) and sandalwood and ambergris in the base. It's a cologne scent and women really like it too - I sell a lot of the bar soap to the ladies.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

im reporting in with my feeligs and findings about Mystic Water shaving soap.

first off in my above post from last week i made a error. i called the shea butter a soap. its not, its a typo, but the shea butter is amazing stuff, works real well on the skin.

first two times i lathered the shaving soap i was not totally happy. getting the lather to lather wasnt happening, and once i got lather it disappeared in my scuttle for my next pass. and i had to lather it again before getting it to my face.

generally i have no problem getting soap to a nice lather even if its my first time with a new product.

this time not so. so now im getting amazing lather just by doing one thing different. i wet my brush and the soap as always. but as i need to add more water to the mix. instead of wetting my brush or my bowl i wet the cake of soap. why this makes a difference i have no idea, but it works for me.

and the results are as good as can be.

even without the best lather still the soap has a nice scent and feels great on the skin, and leaves the skin feeling great all day.

im really enjoying using the Mystic Water products

marc
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Marc,

Over time your lathers should get better and better as you dial in the soap-water ratio. Mystic Waters is one of my favorite soaps in the world. I get amazing lathers with this soap.

One hint: Slow down a little on the brush swirling, add water a little bit at a time, incorporate each new bit of water fully before adding more. Keep working the lather gently until you get a nice, shiny, wet lather that looks kind of like yogurt.

When you get it, you will get it. It will be the best shaving lather imaginable.
"If we had steak, we could have steak and eggs, if we had some eggs."
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

thanks kingfisher

im getting lather thats just plain awesome.. it just too me a few days to dial on ...

im still doing the water to the soap. and its working great

marc
brothers

Post by brothers »

A question for those among us who're using Mystic Waters soap - I've had the Irish Traveler, so what is your favorite? Which one(s) are high on your list?
Gary