What's going on with Trumper's shave soaps?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bruno, The Harris's 'Almond' hard shave soaps I've had in the past, both cakes and sticks, had a definate crisp eau de quinine scent...not overpowering but definately very...er...present. All those were bought more than three or four years ago. The one I got a few months ago had no discernable scent other than 'soap'. It was like someone in the plant simply forgot to add the scent during the soap making process. The Lavender cake I had in the interim period had a nice lavender scent, but very mild, much milder than they used to be. If all the Trumpers hard soaps wind up being made to this apparent sub-par standard, and the Harris's continue to have no scent ( which hopefully is not the case based on Craig's post above ) then I'd probably just give up on hard soaps. Okay, I might try Mitchell's again but other than that there really wouldn't be any that interest me enough to purchase....I'd just stick with creams most likely.
Regards,
Gordon
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

what I'm really going to miss is Trumper's Limes Soap. It's my go to summer shave, and I know of no other luxury quality limes scented shave soapon the market.
Cheers,

Craig
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

The last D R Harris Almond refill I had was rather different to the others.

Had a very chemical-ish scent - nothing like the natural 'earthy' scent I was used to.

I haven't bought any since and won't be buying any in future.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I have to stop reading Trumper threads! I have about a half pot of Coates Sandalwood I am using up. After that, I was toying between the Trumper sandalwood cream and the soap, and now having read problems with the sandalwood scented cream and now the soaps in general, looks like I may have to use Art of Shaving's sandalwood cream

So, soaps out? Tell me they have not mucked with the Limes cream! I need to order some.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

sam you may want to try Sultans Lime cream shaving soap

the scent is light but noticeable and best of all, how it lathers and its protection and cushion are about as good as it gets, leaves my skin feeling great all day

i have even forgotten to use aftershave many times. because thats how good it is..

worth a try
marc
L. Martino
Voted (fill in blank) member of SMF...

Post by L. Martino »

Hiya,

If I was looking for a single note lime soap, I would order from JoAnna at The Shave Den. Definitely one of the better small vendor soaps as far as performance goes, and the lime scent is subtle but true and free of other notes.

She also does a good bay rum version, using the Pimenta Racemosa EO for a base.

Martin
brothers

Post by brothers »

Mike's Lime would be another candidate.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ATLpr8head

Post by ATLpr8head »

DGB452 wrote:The more recent Trumper shaving soaps have switched to the same formulation as the Eucris soap.
y/

I think I am the only one that got a decent puck of Eucris. It had a thick layer of wax/soap on top but damn it performs.....good. yeah it took about 20 shaves to get to the sweet spot but it is perfect. It lathers great but performs as the majority of the british soaps do. Doesnt equate to the artisan soaps but most commercial soaps dont these days.
Shawn
Craig_From_Cincy

brothers wrote:Mike's Lime would be another candidate.
Funny you should write that because I just ordered Mike's Lime, and a couple of other scents too. Sounds like wonderful soap.
Cheers,

Craig
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

I'm capable to make good lather of the Eucris shaving soap. I'm not capable at all to make good lather of the new Sandalwood shaving soap.Both seems to have the same soap based ingredients/formulation , however , the new Sandalwood soap is rubbish.I have two Sandalwood veggie based from 2009 which lathers very well indeed.
Mr.Max

Post by Mr.Max »

I have a recent cake of the coconut oil, and it's absolute garbage. It doesn't lather worth a damn. I have cakes of rose and violet that are 2 years old or so and they are fantastic. I hope trumper doesn't mess with those scents at least, but I'm not optimistic.
~Matt
Craig_From_Cincy

Mr.Max wrote:I have a recent cake of the coconut oil, and it's absolute garbage. It doesn't lather worth a damn. I have cakes of rose and violet that are 2 years old or so and they are fantastic. I hope trumper doesn't mess with those scents at least, but I'm not optimistic.
Matt, I suspect that as Trumper runs through older stocks of its soaps all varieties will be made with new formulation.
Cheers,

Craig
ATLpr8head

Post by ATLpr8head »

Why even mess with a company with so many inconsistencies with something as simple as shave soap? Once my current stash is of trumpers there will be no more. Why? Artisan soaps are much more superior these days.
Shawn
Craig_From_Cincy

bernards66 wrote:Bruno, The Harris's 'Almond' hard shave soaps I've had in the past, both cakes and sticks, had a definate crisp eau de quinine scent...not overpowering but definately very...er...present. All those were bought more than three or four years ago. The one I got a few months ago had no discernable scent other than 'soap'. It was like someone in the plant simply forgot to add the scent during the soap making process. The Lavender cake I had in the interim period had a nice lavender scent, but very mild, much milder than they used to be. If all the Trumpers hard soaps wind up being made to this apparent sub-par standard, and the Harris's continue to have no scent ( which hopefully is not the case based on Craig's post above ) then I'd probably just give up on hard soaps. Okay, I might try Mitchell's again but other than that there really wouldn't be any that interest me enough to purchase....I'd just stick with creams most likely.
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon, I shaved with my Harris Lavender cake today. I'm on my 4th shave with it and I've just got the outer layer off. I noticed during my shave today that the lavender scent is nowhere near as pronounced as it was during my first few shaves. It was there, but very muted. Performance was top notch otherwise.
Cheers,

Craig