For Me Its Brushless Creams

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Ouchmychin

For Me Its Brushless Creams

Post by Ouchmychin »

It has been a while since I posted on this subject and I'm curious if any other members have tried brushless formulas. The last time I posted a lot of members responded by saying I could use any cream without a brush with good results. I don't find that to be the case. True brushless creams are cold cream based and have little or no soap to them. When you rinse them off they leave your face a bit oily. I am getting very good results from a tube of Alba in tropical fruit scent. I tend to also use vibrating Gillette Proglides or Schick Hydro for everyday shaves. Quick and close and no razor burm or nicks.
Anyone else doing this?
Ouchmychin (Pete)
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Pete, not personally, as half of my enjoyment of wetshaving is the feel of the brush. However, I salute any effort that enables you to enjoy your shaves both during and after.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

It's the result that counts, how you best get there is open to your own interpretation. I like the fact I have a number of ways to have a fine shave.
Good shaving,

Gary
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yes, I agree with your observation Pete. Some of the truly brushless creams have an off-putting fragrance, witness the old Shavex and the Ingram's brushless green label variety, both of which are (I think) now discontinued. Ursa Major Steller brushless cream is currently for sale, and I think it is exactly like the previously mentioned Shavex, regarding the smell of it. Noxzema cream has a strong scent, some like it and some don't. There's one great smelling brushless that smells heavenly (coconut), and that's my all time favorite - Stephan Stay Smooth Conditioning Shave Cream - World's Smoothest Shave. Performs as well as it smells. A million thumbs up! Stephan's has an excellent post-shave presence. And it washes away with water easily. The label recommends rubbing it all over your face after the shave. Why not! (I forgot to say it is quite inexpensive for a very large tub. Made in Florida, USA.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
dosco

Post by dosco »

Does KMF count as 'brushless cream?'

IME it is excellent.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

dosco, yes, it is. I don't know if they've changed the packaging, but my 2 year old bottle says to use it brushless. I prefer it as a brush built lather.

I've only used KMF and Bigelow brushless and I find they work OK. If I had to leave a brush at home I could get by with them and a milder razor. I wouldn't be thrilled with either but at least I wouldn't look like something the cat dragged in.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Pete, I sold my nephew on DE shaving with a Weishi and Crystal blades, but he is very happy with Alba shaving cream and feels no need to complicate the process with a brush.

It only makes sense to me that there would be brushless shaving creams by now capable of truly good results. Though I enjoy the ritual of making my own lather from a cake of soap, I'm weakening to the idea that a good brushless cream could also work in a pinch. In fact, I have already tried Oliveology "gel," which worked well enough but disappointed me as a shaving experience.

- Murray
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I wanted to try the Stephan's but for the lanolin. Rasoline provided a close shave though it irritated my skin. Nancy Boy was excellent.
Ron
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I remember years ago using a shave cream made by aramis.......not sure if it was brushless or not because i didnt use a brush back then, didnt even know brushes existed and so i plastered it on my face with my fingers......best shave evah (at the time anyway) What i remember most about it is that it seemed to have a wonderful numbing effect...compared to the stuff available out of a can anyway :lol: Another thing i remember about the aramis is that i thought i had found shaving nirvana and was very content going out of my way to spread the newz......no friends or acquaintances were spared :lol:

The brush has become a part....the best part too.... of my shaving experience and so as long as im able to use it, Im going to pass on the brushless creams although i think any cream would work for me because of my preference for a very dry, thick lather

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
sillyshaver

Re: For Me Its Brushless Creams

Post by sillyshaver »

Hey Pete,

I have been on this kick lately as well. What I have been doing is adding a small dab of Palmers cocoa butter to the cream, mixing a bit in my hands then applying....results have been great...used cremo creme, every man jack and some old toms of maine this way and love the results.

Also if you are using those carts I suggest you give dorco products a go...I've found them to be as good as gillette or schick multi blades at a fraction of the cost.

Ouchmychin wrote:It has been a while since I posted on this subject and I'm curious if any other members have tried brushless formulas. The last time I posted a lot of members responded by saying I could use any cream without a brush with good results. I don't find that to be the case. True brushless creams are cold cream based and have little or no soap to them. When you rinse them off they leave your face a bit oily. I am getting very good results from a tube of Alba in tropical fruit scent. I tend to also use vibrating Gillette Proglides or Schick Hydro for everyday shaves. Quick and close and no razor burm or nicks.
Anyone else doing this?
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Thanks for all the responses gents. Way more are using it or tried it than I expected. I also tried and liked Nutrogena brushless. I will give some of the others a try. One at a time---I don't have shelf room for any more shaving stuff. Dear wife complains because I have filled two large cabinets in our bathroom with all my stuff (including prescriptions and patent medicines, shampoos etc.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I know many have posted about their positive experiences with brushless creams, but I just can't get my head around anything other than a brush to build and apply lather ---- I'm just saying .... 'cos I know it's a ymmv thing.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

rsp1202 wrote:I wanted to try the Stephan's but for the lanolin. Rasoline provided a close shave though it irritated my skin. Nancy Boy was excellent.
Sorry I forgot about NB. It's one of the best!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Brushless...Brushless...Brushless...

There is a failure to communicate. :D

I have had tio use it (Shaving Cream/Gel) on occassion when absolutely necessary. But it really has to be when no other option is available.

BUT, I have had a respectable shave when utilized. Not great mind you, but acceptable. :D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
merkri

Post by merkri »

I prefer brushless myself. I only use a brush to try a hard soap that I wouldn't otherwise be able to use (e.g., because it's in a container). I feel a bit like it's inferior cream engineering if it requires a brush (although I appreciate brush love and understand the appeal).
oldtrout

Post by oldtrout »

Last week, I used NB signature exclusively. It is a wonderful product, but I heard it goes bad after 6-9 months, so I am going to use it until it is gone. It appears I have less than two weeks worth left.

The other day, I was at my local Walgreens and saw tubes of Cremo Shave cream with a mail in rebate offer for a free tube. Apparently, you fill out a form online, print it, then send it in with the receipt and they will send you a check. I almost bought a "free" tube. This might be worth checking out.
One can't believe everything one reads on the internet -- Abraham Lincoln
dosco

Post by dosco »

oldtrout wrote:The other day, I was at my local Walgreens and saw tubes of Cremo Shave cream with a mail in rebate offer for a free tube. Apparently, you fill out a form online, print it, then send it in with the receipt and they will send you a check. I almost bought a "free" tube. This might be worth checking out.
Buy it.

I got a tube ... For me the Cremo by itself doesn't deliver the same results as KMF (which works very well for me).

However ... I do like the scent of the Cremo *a lot.*

The other day I mixed the Cremo with unscented KMF and it was great. Great scent and great result.

As with everything wet shaving, YMMV, which is precisely why you should try it.
Last edited by dosco on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

I haven't found a brushless product that I enjoyed using as much as my shaving soaps lathered with a brush. Some of them are excellent products, but I just don't enjoy using them.

On the other hand, none of them is anywhere near as nice as the incredible lather I got this morning with a Mystic Waters sample puck in the Adirondack Jack scent.

YMMV.
"If we had steak, we could have steak and eggs, if we had some eggs."
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I must add that I use a Shick Hydro or a Fusion ProGlide for shaving brushless. Not as good for DE shaving. Mostly use MWF for that. But I really do much better and safer with the vibrating monsters than I ever did with a DE razor. Cost more but worth it to me. If I want to really scrape close I'll give a Feather In either a Fatboy or a Future the nod because I can crank them up to very aggressive and polish till I'm sore. Not something for every day or every week but once in a while I want to be proud of how bbs a shave remains a day after shaving. It's nuts I know. :oops:
Ouchmychin (Pete)
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

There are many roads to Rome. Whatever gets you there in comfort is what’s for you.

I myself shaved for about 10 years with nothing but Noxzema skin cream (or more properly it’s drugstore knockoff version most times) and it was excellent. It’s only drawback is that one should wash one’s face with soap and water prior to applying it and shaving. This makes a significant difference in the shave with such stuff due it being non-lathering. In fact up until a few years ago I retained the habit of washing my face first before lathering up – no matter what I used as a shaving cream. Since adopting what I term the “Gordon Method”™ where one uses traditional hard soaps and soft creams and just lathers the beard area instead of washing it prior (not even in the shower) it combines both actions and actually gives me just as good a shave as anything else.

I prefer lathering hard soaps and soft creams because they provide a richer experience combined with an easier format. It’s all YMMV though as I would go back to Noxzema in a heartbeat if my traditional soaps and creams were no longer available.

Enjoy whatever you use in good health!

Chris