Mike's Natural Soaps

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Craig_From_Cincy

Re: Mike's Natural Soaps

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

Gary,

Mike's is the best artisan shave soap that I've tried. YMMV and all.
Cheers,

Craig
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm thinking I may have been overdoing it with the water, even though Mike's has a reputation for liking a lot of it. I think tomorrow I'll cut back a wee tiny bit and see how that effects the lather.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Tonight I think I got pretty close to maximum efficiency with the lather. This lather is somehow different, the way it lets the razor slide across the skin is remarkable. Is this what they call cushion and glide, and protection? I'm thinking that's Mike's strong point performance-wise. The lime scent is easy to like. Overall a very good soap, in my opinion. The razor and blade seemed to shine with the Mike's providing the runway. The post shave face feel and the smoothness of the cut leave nothing to be desired when I take my time to enjoy the process as it goes along.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Thanks for the links Murray.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Mike's Natural Lime soap lasted me 27 luxurious shaves. It's a great soap. I just figured out that Mike is an SMF member, OckhamsRazor. He hasn't posted around these parts lately. A lot of people use his soaps.
Gary

rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

If it wasn't for the lanolin, kokum and shea, I would order the Lime and Barber Shop in a New York minute. I thought of requesting he leave them out, but they seem to be so much a part of his recipe that I couldn't bring myself to ask.
Ron
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ron, Oh....I wasn't aware. They wouldn't be a good idea for me either then. Ah well....
Regards,
Gordon
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

well I have just about used up the mikes tin of coconut, unfortunately I went to reorder and he was out of stock so I ordered the orange, black pepper, cedar wood.
wow wow its great scent and the same great lather. of all the private makers Mike's the best of the best.

having MWF and Mikes is all I need
marc
brothers

Post by brothers »

marsos52 wrote:well I have just about used up the mikes tin of coconut, unfortunately I went to reorder and he was out of stock so I ordered the orange, black pepper, cedar wood.
wow wow its great scent and the same great lather. of all the private makers Mike's the best of the best.

having MWF and Mikes is all I need
marc
Marc, I agree with your statement "best of the best". Finally, Mike restocked his Lime shaving soap last week, and thankfully I was able to find out about it before he sold out again. This time around I got more than just one bar. Looking forward to using it again.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

The package arrived today with enough Mike's Lime to last a good while.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Mike's Natural Lime soap came up yesterday in rotation, a few days earlier than expected due to DRH Sandalwood's premature departure. Now I clearly remember why I like Mike's so much. It's slicker than most and the lather is abundant and creamy tallow lather. Never any suds with this one. Looking forward to a long and happy relationship with Mike's Lime soap.
Gary

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Mike's Natural Soap in lime is a favorite of mine, too. Very good shaving soap.

- Murray
BPman

Post by BPman »

I will be the hair shirt here and state that I tried a few samples last year and I was under impressed. YMMV.
BPman

Post by BPman »

I want to issue a retraction of my earlier opinion and here's why. The samples he sends out are really too small to lather well with his soap. After reading some more I bought a 5 ounce tin and Boy Howdy!! One of the best soaps I have ever used!! The problem is that his soap requires a LOT of water to work properly and this was not easy with the small samples I had before. I had read of others having this issue so coupled with the rave reviews I relented and bought a large tin. Good idea. :wink:

Just goes to show that one can rush to judgment sometimes too quickly on a product.
brothers

Post by brothers »

He's frequently out of stock, due to the unrelenting demand. If you see your favorite is in stock, jump on it. :)
Gary

Str8 Shaver

Post by Str8 Shaver »

I've tried a lot of soaps over the years, and Mike's is the only one that totally agrees with my face... I honestly thought that skin irritation was a natural by product of shaving, but Mike's is the only soap so far, that gives me the protection that my skin obviously needs..
TI 'Wheatfield', Fili SubCero #12
3" Snake, Shell Cordovan & Genuine Linen Hanging Razor Strop
Ikon B1 Deluxe
G.O.S.H Heritage, Duke3, New Forest Tubby 1 Finest, CH2 2Band, CH3 Manchurian, 2XL Jade
Mike's, Phoenix & Beau
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome to SMF, Str8 Shaver!

I have found several soaps over the years that I really like, and I have stocked up on those. Mike's Natural Soaps are among the best.

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Welcome aboard Str8, You'll find kindred spirits here.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hi Str8! Thanks for joining us.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

brothers wrote: (22Sept2015 - about a year ago) Mike's Natural Lime soap came up yesterday in rotation, a few days earlier than expected due to DRH Sandalwood's premature departure. Now I clearly remember why I like Mike's so much. It's slicker than most and the lather is abundant and creamy tallow lather. Never any suds with this one. Looking forward to a long and happy relationship with Mike's Lime soap.
At the present time I'm using Mike's Lime soap for a single all-in-one pass, rather than my long time habit of 3 passes. It works very well. As I'm using the razor on my face, I have found that if I splash a few drops of tap water on my face, the soap still on my face becomes just as slick and protective as if I had re-lathered. Having said that, here's my point: I've been loading the brush on the soap for no more than 15 seconds up to now, and in the spirit of experimentation I am going to reduce the loading time to 10 seconds. Because I'm going to use up this soap from start to finish before I move to another one, I'm counting the number of shaves, and it will be interesting to see how many shaves this soap will yield with the 10 second loading over the long haul. I'm going to take a wild guess right now and say it'll last 65 shaves. As of now the soap has yielded 5 shaves.
Gary