Queen Charlotte Cream-1st Impression

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Craig_From_Cincy

Queen Charlotte Cream-1st Impression

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

I had my first shave with QCS cream tonight, I used the Basilica from a sample container I bought from their website this week. The cream whipped up a thin and very bubbly lather. Adding more water and/or more product didn't help. I would bet there's a large amount of stearic acid in the cream judging by the foamy lather. I was able to complete a first WTG pass, but I didn't want to risk going close with this lather as I'm taking the Wife out tonight. I dumped it and used Trumper Sandalwood for the rest of my shave. This cream had a wonderful scent and merits more experimentation on my part.
Cheers,

Craig
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

Just had my first shave this morning with QCS Rose Otto soap - a sample. Squished it down into a bowl, put some water on top of the soap and soaked my brush while I washed. Wrung out the brush, dumped the water, and loaded brush easily. By contrast with your experience Craig, the lather was rich and cushioning. Two and a half passes. Face feel was very nice. Was surprised that developing the lather was as easy as it was. Have a sample of Basilica along with some others. Had thought about using each sample as a miniature shaving stick; still may. Don't want to completely deplete each of the five samples one at a time, then forget what the first one smelled like.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Stearic acid generally won't make something foamy, but creamy. Foamy is usually a product of coconut and/or palm kernel oil in the formulation, or sometimes castor oil.

I had great experiences with Queen Charlotte hard soaps, which I can't use due to lanolin in the formulation, and subpar experiences with their creams, though I could never figure out why, as many guys get on really well with them.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

The only QCS cream I've tried is Vostok which lathers so well for me and can freeze my face to pieces. Great skincare also. :D
JEFF
SRD

Post by SRD »

I have had great experiences with QCS creams. I get just as good a lather with these as I do Trumpers. Product does seem to take a bit more work but the results have been excellent for me.
Dave
Craig_From_Cincy

I need to work with these creams some more. The creams in the sample containers is very hard, almost soap like. I Think maybe i used too much water.
Cheers,

Craig
Craig_From_Cincy

Here's a video from QCS about how to lather the shave creams in their sample containers:

http://youtu.be/3JhuOU_Zz6o

I'm going to try this in the morning with their Fougere cream.
Cheers,

Craig
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

Craig_From_Cincy wrote:Here's a video from QCS about how to lather the shave creams in their sample containers:

http://youtu.be/3JhuOU_Zz6o

I'm going to try this in the morning with their Fougere cream.
And......?
Craig_From_Cincy

I've worked and worked with the QCS creams and thus far I've just produced so-so lather. I've treated them like creams, like croaps and like soaps, but I still get lather that's somewhat bubbly and foamy. I've been a bit underwhelmed by the scents too. Maybe its our very hard water here in Cincinnati, but I'm moving on to the very exciting Italian croaps that I received through the kindness of fellow SMF members John Parker and Brothers.
Cheers,

Craig
crackstar

Re: Queen Charlotte Cream-1st Impression

Post by crackstar »

The Vostok cream and soap smell pure menthol and peppermint oil. Just sniffing it can make you feel cool.
JEFF
brothers

Re: Queen Charlotte Cream-1st Impression

Post by brothers »

Jeff, what was your impression of the lathering properties of the QCS soap? This is still a product I've not yet tried.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444