Haslinger shave soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Haslinger shave soap

Post by bernards66 »

As many of you know I am generally disinterested in trying out new shave products. I went through that phase earlier and had way more mediocre shaves than good ones in the process and finally settled with products that I know work very well for me; almost entirely top shelf classic English creams and soaps. However, I do make an exception in the case of products that come highly recommended by experianced members here. I was willing to chip in blind for a chunk of that Barberieri Colla soft soap because of what Chris Fisher had to say about it. This Haslinger's soap was similiar in that John ( 'JR Taster' ) highly recommended it and offered to sent me one gratis. Under those circumstances, I could hardly refuse.

Well, the soap arrived today in time for me to use it for my daily shave. I asked for the Coconut one from the ones he'd offered and it surely does have a definate 'coconut' scent mixed with a kind of old time, vaguely almondish fragrance. Okay, it doesn't smell like English Fern or Trumpers Rose but it's pleasant enough. The ingrediants list made it plain that this is a stearate and tallow based soap so that considerably raised my hopes. It is a small cake, however, which means that the surface area that the brush interacts with is considerably less than the hard soaps that I usually use and that must be taken into account. I plopped it into a small anchor glass bowl and lathered it up with my Kent BK4, the brush that I consider to be the very best I have for hard soaps. And the Haslinger is a hard soap, not one of those Italian type soft soaps or what some call 'croaps'. However, although hard I do not think that it is hard/triple milled although I'm not certain. Anyway, it proceeded to provide a very good lather and my face felt excellent post shave. For me, the lather didn't seem quite as 'good' as say D R Harris's or the Barberieri Colla but it was close. An altogether excellent shave soap, IMO, especially considering it's more modest price
Regards,
Gordon
Last edited by bernards66 on Sun May 26, 2013 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

Gordon tried two new soaps in recent month. It must be very chilly down in Hades today :lol:

Seriously, thanks for the report Gordon. What does Hanslinger's sell for, and might you remember what the other scents are?
Cheers,

Craig
brothers

Post by brothers »

Craig_From_Cincy wrote:Gordon tried two new soaps in recent month. It must be very chilly down in Hades today :lol:

Seriously, thanks for the report Gordon. What does Hanslinger's sell for, and might you remember what the other scents are?
Craig, I'm not Gordon, but Smallflower has most if not all in stock here http://www.smallflower.com/search/haslinger-shaving

I've had Coconut, and found it a bit too sweet for my nose. I got their newest offering, Schifmilck (sheep's milk with lanolin) and I like it very much.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Zot!

Post by Zot! »

If you get past the thought of seaweed, Meeresalgen (seaweed), is really nice.
Ron
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Gordon provided his usual balanced and thoughtful view and has our thanks.

His point about the small 60gm puck offering little surface area for soap/brush contact is a good one but it didn't impact me as much since my brushes tend to be smaller anyway.

Smallflower carries a slighter wider range of Haslinger Soaps, but West Coast Shaving stocks a nice selection and may prove to be a better source, since you might be ordering other goodies from there as well.

Prices around $ 8-10 seem to be the norm.

Some varieties may come in a "dish," a flimsy transparent sealed cup. It adds about $ 1.25-$ 1.75 to the cost; take it or leave it..it will enable easier travel but I don't know if you can use it as a lathering cup.

I'm using the "honey" version and love it. A new cake of "calendula," or marigold, supposedly good for sensitive skin, awaits its turn in the rotation.

In a shrinking universe of tallow soaps this old timer (from the late 1800's) may be one worth trying. It ousted TOBS Lavender (non-tallow) from my limited rotation and holds its own against DR Harris, MWF, and AOS (tallow) Lavender soaps...damn fine company!

jr/John
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I've always enjoyed Haslinger soaps, even when rebranded by Muehle and Jagger. The scents are esoteric, but well worth the experiment. Meersalgen and Honig being my favourites. I've bought them from Shavemac with no problem and fast shipping in the past.

And if I dare say it, Gordon, I hope you will agree that trying something new isn't always bad! When I make my gardenia scented version of my own soap, I shall have to send you a sample.

Chris
Lather it and weep, o you mighty!
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

drmoss_ca wrote:I've always enjoyed Haslinger soaps, even when rebranded by Muehle and Jagger. The scents are esoteric, but well worth the experiment. Meersalgen and Honig being my favourites. I've bought them from Shavemac with no problem and fast shipping in the past.

And if I dare say it, Gordon, I hope you will agree that trying something new isn't always bad! When I make my gardenia scented version of my own soap, I shall have to send you a sample.

Chris
Lather it and weep, o you mighty!
Wow, Muhle and Jagger rebranded Haslinger... never tried either and would never have known if not for Chris" intel!

Another example of the extensive knowledge base available at SMF.

jr?john
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Yep, Sea Buckthorn = Meersalgen etc. Not news at all, though.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
tester

Post by tester »

The Hanslinger Ewe's Milk is simply STUNNING in every aspect.

As Gorden noted, the puck has a small diameter and can be awkward to lather. In my case I placed a new puck of Hanslinger Ewe's Milk into a ziplock bag and slowly squezzed it in a vice several times as I rotated the puck. Eventually I got the approx. size I needed to place in a permanent bowl.

I load generously with all my soaps. No three swirwls for for three passes with this guy. I load for 40 seconds to one minute until the brush gets bogged down and sticky. Soap is cheap. I then face lather on a hot water splashed face to build a lather and add drops of water as necessary.

The performace of Hanslinger Ewe's Milk is "top shelf" in every aspect. Glide, cushion, protection, post shave feel, whatever you can measure a shave by it is incredible. Lather has a pearl like sheen as I find all good lathers have. Scent is a hint floral to my nose with a hint of new linens. Not very masculine, but fresh.

Don't let the cartoonish lamb fool your on the packaging. I paid $9 for a small puck. Its worth way way more.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

I had a puck of the seaweed soap. It lathered well and provided a comfortable shave.

I PIF'd it, though, because ultimately I didn't enjoy the scent.

I should probably try the honey or the sheep's milk one at some point.
"If we had steak, we could have steak and eggs, if we had some eggs."
Zot!

Post by Zot! »

I think the Meeresalgen has quite a pleasant scent, but I cannot liken it to anything. It is different from the EJ/Muhle Sea Buckthorn, which is a citrus-like one. I think the EJ/Muhle reformulated their creams and soaps to be all natural and paraben-free. I wouldn't doubt that Haslinger may make them.
Ron
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Ron, I think you're right that EJ/Muhle are now a different soap, veggie-based. I quite like the Meersalgen scent, and it's the only Haslinger I have on hand.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Having sniffed them all and used three, (Ringleblumen, Coconut and Aloe Vera) I find all the scents of Haslinger to be on the mild side. This obviously can be a pro or con depending on what you personally like in a shave soap. I find the mild scents to be quite pleasing and have settled on Aloe Vera as the one I pull out most frequently. But, I now see that Merz has brought in stock of the Ewe's Milk so I will make a stop today to check it out.

As usual, living quite close to Merz can be both a gift and a curse. Lucky me!
Good shaving,

Gary
crackstar

Re: Hanslinger shave soap

Post by crackstar »

Aren't they related to the Muhle soaps?
JEFF
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

crackstar wrote:Aren't they related to the Muhle soaps?
At one time according to the fair Dr. M, I have know Haslinger only as Haslinger.
Good shaving,

Gary
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I tried one of these years ago, all I can recall is it was a light honey color, may have been the honey, or the marigold, recall little except I liked it.
Regards,
Squire
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

tester wrote:The Hanslinger Ewe's Milk is simply STUNNING in every aspect.
I will heartily endorse this statement - have just used Haslinger Ewe's Milk the past two days and have to say it is REALLY GOOD. Scent is sort of a lighter version of MWF, but this little puck lathers quickly and easily by comparision. Lanolin warning, but if you can use it this is definitely worth throwing on your next order from your favorite purveyor who may have it in stock.
Good shaving,

Gary
oldtrout

Post by oldtrout »

gsgo wrote:
I will heartily endorse this statement - have just used Haslinger Ewe's Milk the past two days and have to say it is REALLY GOOD. Scent is sort of a lighter version of MWF, but this little puck lathers quickly and easily by comparision. Lanolin warning, but if you can use it this is definitely worth throwing on your next order from your favorite purveyor who may have it in stock.

Add me to that endorsement.
One can't believe everything one reads on the internet -- Abraham Lincoln
BPman

Post by BPman »

oldtrout wrote:
gsgo wrote:

Add me to that endorsement.

Add me also. It is a superb shave soap. The lil' giant. =D>
oldtrout

Re: Haslinger shave soap

Post by oldtrout »

I've been on a buying sabbatical for 2.5 years. This will be my first purchase in 2017
One can't believe everything one reads on the internet -- Abraham Lincoln