DR Harris Windsor soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

DR Harris Windsor soap

Post by brothers »

Two days after the Marlborough soap ran out, tonight I decided to pick up where I left off and go straight to the Windsor soap. Same excellent lather and performance. No matter which brush I use, I'll continue to load it on the soap for a full 60 seconds. With the previous soap, the soft badger brushes only managed to pick up between 1.5 and 2.5g of soap. The boars were picking up between 2.5 and 4 grams. I suspect this one will be identical. Haven't figured out which brushes I'm going to go with, probably a couple of each kind of brush for the Windsor rotation.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Craig_From_Cincy

Re: DR Harris Windsor soap

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

Can you describe the scent of the Windsor soap Gary?
Cheers,

Craig
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Craig, if you've smelled Terre d'Hermes, Windsor is very similar, a blend of citrus, pepper, vetiver, and woods. Terre d'Hermes is a pretty seamless composition, Windsor less so (in cologne form), but the soap is similar enough to Terre that a fan of one will probably at least appreciate the other IMO. BTW, for those who dislike the slightly dirty/mineralic edge to Terre d'Hermes, that is noticeably absent from Windsor. The latter is therefore a "cleaner" and appropriately more "barbershoppy" take. Sort of a bridge from Terre to Taylor's Shaving Shop, although closer to the former in quality of ingredients.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
brothers

Post by brothers »

Craig, I've been asked that question before, and unfortunately, I'm just not good at describing fragrances with any accuracy. One can tell it's definitely one of the Harris ranges, but it's more on the Marlborough side, without (to me) the woodsy or slightly sweet aspects that I find attractive. Also, it doesn't have that characteristic that makes Arlington attractive to those who happen to like Arlington. I wish I could be more helpful in this regard.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

I think Tim's description above should be archived and the link to Taylor's Shaving Shop has naturally tweaked my interest. Thanks Tim!
Good shaving,

Gary
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes Tim, that was very good.
Regards,
Squire
Dale

Post by Dale »

Windsor reminds me of Pen's Blenheim Bouquet cream.
Last edited by Dale on Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Dale
Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

Great scent and soap, IMO.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Impressive, Tim. It took a while, but I finally remembered my sample of Taylor's Shaving Shop cream. It was definitely not my cup of tea, and only after you mentioned it in relation to Windsor's fragrance, did I realize you're right about that. Taylor's version was not pleasant to my tastes. Windsor isn't unpleasant, but now that we've resurrected my old scent memory, who knows what it'll smell like next time.

Edit: I decided to transfer the Windsor to a Ziploc plastic container to give me plenty of room to load the brushes on the soap every day for the foreseeable future. In the process of the transfer, I quickly decided this is a very pleasantly masculine soap fragrance. Lathers and shaves like a champ.
Gary

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

The only way I know how to describe soap scent is that it either smells good or doesn't. Thanks for the description.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Just to follow up on the Windsor soap, I'd worked my way through about half of the puck, when I decided I'd give the other half away to a couple of guys who hadn't had the opportunity to try it. Worked out well, because I had been wanting to start on a bar of Mike's Natural Lime. I think I've got a good feel for the Harris soaps now, and it's time to move on.
Gary