Martin de Candre Fougere

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Martin de Candre Fougere

Post by brothers »

I was one of those who suggested it to the makers, based off of the bath soap fougere they sell. It took a year or so, but they listened and responded. This evening I decided to give it a go and see what happens. I used the Shavemac 220 and only swirled on the soap for 30 seconds to load. Moved to the bowl and added water until I got the lather I was looking for. Didn't take long. The razor I chose because it's solid and seems to just mow the beard down with no harshness. Smooth is the best description. Smooth and aggressive with no negative feedback. The blade speaks for itself. Also a smooth cutter. The lather was abundant and tight. One thing I noticed is the slickness on the face. I rinsed the soap off the razor and without re-lathering, took a few more strokes. The residual slickness and protectiveness was noticeable, and memorable. This ought to be a good soap considering the price. And it is that. Even with my hard tap water, the 30 second load time and the large luxurious badger brush, loaded with Martin de Candre soap, was just what I'd hoped for both during and after the shave. I passed on any post-shave product, because I wanted to get a handle on the post shave feel of MdC soap. Love the fragrance, because the signature scented MdC just isn't my cup of tea, fragrance-wise. I'm a happy and lucky guy to be able to experience such a pleasant shave.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
evnpar

Re: Martin de Candre Fougere

Post by evnpar »

Gary,

Thanks for the excellent review. I'm hoping to replicate your experience in a few days when my order arrives.

Dick
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Gary, It is a sine soap for sure, in my top three, and the scent is enjoyable, not in the league of Pen's EF but nothing else is either.
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

Have only used the scented version of MdC but it does have an amazing face feel post splash.
Mike