Worst Brushless Shaving Cream I Ever Tried

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Ouchmychin

Worst Brushless Shaving Cream I Ever Tried

Post by Ouchmychin »

A couple weeks ago I started a thread about brushless shaving creams. I got a lot of advice and decided to try Creamo that I could get at Walmart. When I got there, there were a lot of choices. One I had never heard of was "Every Man Jack". No one here in this forum had mentioned it if I recall. So I decided to give it a try and report back. Well, we were at a family reunion in Branson and for my shave I applied it. It is similar to cold cream mixed with zinc oxide ointment. Heavy, greasy, very white. Coats the face, my mustache and also the razor head. Would not rinse off and I had to wipe it with a wash cloth. As far as shaving, it seemed to offer Less protection than any other brushless I have tried. I hated the week of shaves and plan to toss the rest now that I am back. Buyer beware.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
harper

Re: Worst Brushless Shaving Cream I Ever Tried

Post by harper »

Wonderful post fellow octogenarian: I guess I shouldn't have but I couldn't help but laugh at your predicament.

cheers

bob
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

I've never used EMJ so I can't speak from experience - but - was this, by chance, one of those creams that really needs a boatload of water to perform well?
Regards,
Mike
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Sounds rather like my experiances with the Kiehl's brushless creams. That's another one that I would suggest that members avoid. Better luck next time, old boy ( definately would have been better off with the Cremo you know ).
Regards,
Gordon
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

Ouchmychin : would you mind if I could try the cream and report back too ?
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Tieste,
I'll gladly send you most of a tube since I haven't tossed it. But it is pretty cheap and postage will be a significant fraction of the cost for a new tube.
maskaggs,
This is the greasy (not soapy) type of cream. I apply them to a wet face with my fingers and palms.

Pete
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

So Pete, did you get the Cremo or just the ManJack? The reason I ask, I got a tube just the other day at Walgreens, with the little FREE tag attached. They'll refund my entire purchase price in a few weeks. Already got that mailed off. I think the Cremo will be a far better product than the ManJack. It'll make a pretty decent travel cream, in case I ever go anyplace and want something easy to manage while I'm standing at the tiny little sink and cabinet with my wife's stuff taking up all the room.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
dosco

Post by dosco »

Cremo is pretty good but IME not as good as KMF.

YMMV and all that, of course.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I wouldn't disagree with you.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

KMF makes a brushless? I will look for Creamo at my local Walgreens. Might find some at the Dollar Tree store. Lots of good soaps linger there often.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Ouchmychin wrote:KMF makes a brushless? I will look for Creamo at my local Walgreens. Might find some at the Dollar Tree store. Lots of good soaps linger there often.
You might have luck at Meijer, if you've got it, or Target. I think that's where I've seen it around here.
Regards,
Mike
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

I used canned goo shaving gel today morning. First time in some years. That can had been unused so long.
What can I say, the shave was very fast, not more than 7 minutes I think. You just apply it to your face takes less than 15 seconds.

Only a 2 pass shave cause the stuff felt so artificial, i skipped the touchup pass, worrying what i get inside my nose or in my mouth lol.
But YES that can make shaving really fast. And it was protective in the shave. So I will keep that trick for times when i need a fast shave.

I don't use brush shaving creams and the brush loading with my soaps and face lathering definatly takes most of my shaving time.
Jarmo
dosco

Post by dosco »

Jarmo:
How long does it take you to lather with a brush? With my home brew soaps (as well as the other home brew soaps I've tried, which are excellent soaps), it takes me perhaps 2 minutes to build an excellent lather. I load for maybe a minute and then face lather for about a minute.

I understand the convenience of the canned goop however the superior results I get from a good soap more than outweigh the few moments of time saved ...
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

So true Dosco, nothing is better than putting on my battery radio on the bathroom.

And have a nice relaxed shave with rubbing like I did today the Palmolive shoap to my whiskers and reparing the brush from that no name not so good soap I was using and though it is no much good the Palmolive rub will take care of my lather. The trouble with poor soaps is they take their time to lather well.

The zen like experience of lathering with a brush, listening some talks from the radio, not that some music channel is bad but I prefer talks.

I had my fave razor Merkur HD loaded with a blade I had previously used in my Tech, Super Iridium (one of my faves too though not the lately available anymore). 8th and last shave of that blade. What a nice shave. I still can't say that I like my Tech nearly as much, but I will try. To me Tech is like sometimes irritation and can't shave as close yet. I will try more.

There are places for the canned goo when time is spare, thats why my previous post :)
Jarmo
dosco

Post by dosco »

Perhaps you can order the ingredients needed to make your own soap? You'd be surprised at the quality of the final product.
brothers

Post by brothers »

There are some days that I just want to use a brushless for one reason or other. It might not take all that long to accomodate a brush, but as Jarmo says, I do it when I want to shave, but don't want involve the brush. I like and really enjoy the brush when I wish to do so, but I also like and really enjoy using the various brushless products. When I'm pressed for time, not using a brush makes me feel like I've saved precious time, whether that's true or not.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

The only time I haven't used a brush is when someone forgot to pack one.
Regards,
Squire
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Squire wrote:The only time I haven't used a brush is when someone forgot to pack one.
I'd give you a "+1" except that I make sure my brush is packed when I travel. So, I guess I can't completely agree.

I shaved without a brush once a couple of months ago when I had to be at a meeting at work two hours earlier than my usual work start time. It went OK, but I really missed the ritual of making a luxurious lather using a brush and a good soap.
"If we had steak, we could have steak and eggs, if we had some eggs."
razorhead63

Post by razorhead63 »

Too bad I discovered this thread after tonight's shave... yeah, for the first and last time I used the Everyman Jack cream as a pre shave thinking it would be good and protective .... (first ever use of it) I followed that with the lathering of the CO Bigelows... Well, my brush got gummed up and I totally lost my lather, it just disappeared!! I had to use more Bigelows and relather.... after that, the shave was great. Nothing's ever bad with the Bigelows you know. But YES this Every Man Jack is like cold cream and honestly it is pretty GROSS.. I will be tossing it out right away.... heh heh.... well we live and we learn, so it's all good.

John H.