Vintage Coates Almond Shave Cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Vintage Coates Almond Shave Cream

Post by Squire »

I expect it's the individual tubes rather than the scents that are fading, given their age. I'm surprised they have lasted this well.
Regards,
Squire
mike

Post by mike »

I have now used all 6 scents and I have found that all except the almond have been very satisfactory. All have given me nothing but excellent shaves. I have a considerable stash which I will store in my wine cellar. I will report back in 10 years and let you know how they hold their scents :D
Mike

~ Beati Pacifici~
brothers

Post by brothers »

Cracked open a new tube of Almond Coates for this morning's shave. The lather is excellent, but the fragrance is quite mild. Milder than my others (Sandalwood, Lavender, and Rose) but I'm not complaining. Slickness is one thing I insist on having in my shaving soaps and creams, and I am happy to report the Almond was very slick and cushiony.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
pausted

Post by pausted »

Gary, about two years ago I worked through all six scents and while I liked them all, the Almond was far and away my favorite in terms of performance. All the scents have gotten pretty weak over time. Having never tried Coates when it was still made, maybe the scents weren't very strong to begin with. I don't know.
Best regards,

Basil
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

I started to be greedy and not share this, but that's no way to be, so LOOK:
http://www.coatescream.com/
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)