New shaving soap from Penhaligons

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
e d o

Re: New shaving soap from Penhaligons

Post by e d o »

It's a shame refills are not available (yet). It would certainly make giving it a go a bit more economical.
greyhawk

Post by greyhawk »

Damon at the Old Town Shaving Company carries Pen's. As of last week, he was expecting a shipment of Sartorial soap, so he may have it by now. He is also delightful to deal with.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=52629
brothers

Post by brothers »

Now that Pen's Sartorial is in the hands of some SMF members, I'm curious to learn what the consensus might be. Penhaligon's have nothing to lose, reputation-wise, and everything to gain by re-inventing their shaving soap, I applaud them, and I wish them all the best.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

I couldn't resist and placed an order with The English Shaving Company for the Pen's Sartorial shaving soap. I don't relish being the first SMF'er to post about it because some guys are pretty particular and know what they want out of a shaving soap, but I don't mind. it's my pleasure to do so. I don't know anything about anything compared to some of you guys, but I do know what I like. I personally like the mild pleasant fragrance. It's easy to get used to. I've test-lathered it two times in a bowl with the Thater and a third time with the Rooney Finest. Tonight I'm going to use it for a full shave for the first time. What about the lather? If you've lathered up a DRH soap lately, yeah, that pretty much sums it up. I used the word easy in terms of posting about it and getting used to the fragrance. It's easy to lather. The bowl's classy. Gold lettering on dark wood. I'll probably wind up with a bowl of Blenheim Bouquet new formula too.

Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Tonight was the first shave with the new Sartorial. No complaints. I just finished up 39 shaves on a puck of Irisch Moos soap yesterday and every shave was luxurious. Tonight's shave was nothing less. Loaded for 20 seconds with distilled water. The soap lathered right up and lasted through 3 full passes and there was enough left over for another two, had I wanted to keep going. Slick, cushiony, nice mild scent, as thick as I wanted it to be. Midway through the shave I had to stop for a moment and remind myself I wasn't using IM anymore, but Sartorial instead. Good shaving soap.
Gary

beartrap

Post by beartrap »

Gary, thanks for being first in line, your opinion is of great value to me :D This one is next on my list to get!
Are there refills available or just the bowl? How much was it?
Steve
brothers

Post by brothers »

Steve, I haven't seen refills listed yet, though I suppose they'll start to show up at some point. Soap & bowl from TESCo with postage was a bit more than $65.
Gary

Flash G

Post by Flash G »

Thanks for the review!
I can feel an AD in it's beginning.
Your description of the scent is encouraging. I like the Sartorial EdT very much, but wasn't sure how it would transelate to the soap. I was afraid it would be to strong as it is my experience that strongly cologne scented shaving soaps give me a burning sensation.
Eric