Tribute Shaving Cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Tribute Shaving Cream

Post by rtaylor61 »

I have a new follower on Twitter. They manufacture Tribute Shaving Cream. Any users?

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Re: Tribute Shaving Cream

Post by rtaylor61 »

So based on all of the glowing recommendations for this shaving cream, I ordered a jar tonight. Now the waiting begins...
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Randy, Good for you!....let us know.
Regards,
Gordon
Bob in TX

Post by Bob in TX »

It is a glycerin based cream. At what looks like $25 +/- for 120 g., let's hope it is good. I look forward to your report.........
brothers

Post by brothers »

Where can these aforementioned reports and reviews be found?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

There are reviews on Amazon. Tribute followed me on Twitter, which piqued my curiosity. A shaving cream that woks well with or without a brush? Once in a great while I'm rushed and don't have time to go through the brush routine, so this really got me interested. So, not having purchased anything but Cremo and Real Shaving cream in the last year, I figured this is worth a spin. We will see.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yes, those Amazon reviews are definitely positive. I'm going to be curious to know how you feel about it after you've had a few shaves with it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

One shave does not a review make, but we are off to a good start! I'll know more in a week!

Randy
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

thanks Randy.....looking forward to reading the update
de gustibus non est disputandum
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

I’ve been using Tribute Shaving Cream for a week now. It’s available from the Tribute Supply Company. They market it as a “Manly Shaving Cream”. It comes packaged in a 4 oz. glass jar, metal lid, clean packaging. Nicer than the normal “plastic” tubs of my old standby Taylor of Old Bond Street or Trumper’s.
I opened the jar, and thought of cold cream. Nice smooth and creamy appearance. Bright white. You can use this cream with or without a brush. I like using a brush, so I dipped in with the brush just enough to cover the tips of my brush. This is where I got impressed. Using a face lathering technique, this stuff just explodes into a lather. After getting the lather started, I added a bit of water and easily had enough lather for a 4-5 pass shave. The lather is thick. Lubrication is slick. Lots of cushion. Possibly the slickest cream I have ever used. At the end of the shave, there is no “drying” effect. For me, it’s almost like there is a built in moisturizer. I gotta say, I am impressed.

I have to be honest. I did not want to like this product. Over the years, I’ve seen so many shaving creams and soaps that were supposed to revolutionize shaving in a retro way. Tribute’s marketing sort of struck me that way. Shave like dad. Shave like grandpa. Whatever. I only find one fault. It has no scent. Well, it is a clean scent, but no fragrance. I like a light fragrance. I approached using Tribute with a negative attitude and opinion. Attitude and opinion are hereby changed. During the week I only shaved one time using it brushless. My results were not the best, but I don’t believe I used enough product. Still, it was a good shave.

Final opinion: I didn’t think I would, but I like it. And I’ll use it. There is definitely a place for this in my rotation. Especially when I am going to wear cologne. With no fragrance, no worries about clashing.
Bob in TX

Post by Bob in TX »

Good review. Thanks for the update!
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Randy, Thanks for the in-depth review. It certainly sounds like a good product. The lack of fragrance would be a downer for me as well. I traded off that puck of Harris's 'Almond' hard soap I had only because the scent seemed to be missing; as a shave prep product it worked as well as Harris shave soaps always have. I'm not really into expanding my shave cream/soap line-up these days but in future, who knows?
Regards,
Gordon
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

Gordon, this is a good product. I've tried some bad ones. If they scent this stuff, it would be an incredible product. For me, at least.