Coates Rose cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
mike

Coates Rose cream

Post by mike »

When I first joined this forum in 2005, a lot of members were praising rose scented creams and soaps. I tried the QED rose soap, but had so much burning that I traded it away. Since I really liked the scent, I decided to try the Trumpers rose cream. It too caused burning, so I gave it away. I haven't tried a rose scented product since, until the recent availability of the Coates tubes. On a whim, I purchased a couple of tubes and gave it a try. No burning or irritation whatsoever--just a great shave with the great scent of rose. Coates Rose immediately became my favorite cream. Of course I had to order many more tubes ! I don't know why I had no reaction to the Coates, but for those of you that have the same problem, you might want to give Coates a try.
Mike

~ Beati Pacifici~
Bob in TX

Re: Coates Rose cream

Post by Bob in TX »

I have had two very good shaves with the Coate's Rose Cream. I put my tubes into jars.

I am glad it is working for you!

mike

Post by mike »

bob, i am curious why you put them in tubs, since they have kept so well in the tubes.
Mike

~ Beati Pacifici~
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Coates rose is fantastic stuff. The scent is not too in your face and you need so little to get a great lather.

Dav
Bob in TX

Post by Bob in TX »

I had a tube of the Lavender that came dried out. I cut it open, added some distilled water, microwaved it, and put it in a jar. More on a whim than anything, I put the rest of the "fresh" tubes in jars too. They just stack and store better for me that way.
Bob in TX

Post by Bob in TX »

I used the Coate's Sandalwood today. The scent is very mild. The lather is great.

Last edited by Bob in TX on Mon May 05, 2014 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sandalwood isn't my favorite general fragrance, but I've had a tub of the Sandalwood a few years back when it was scarce, but not too long out of production. I tried the others too, and Coates was one of the better of them.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Mike, That IS interesting. To me, the old Coate's Rose cream in the pots seemed very similiar to Trumpers Rose...including the scent. Now the Coate's in the tubes always seemed a bit less concentrated ( a necessity I suspect when using plastic tubes as it seems to be true also with other similiar firms who produce both potted creams and creams in plastic tubes ). Perhaps that is, somehow, a factor? Also, the current tubes of Coate's Rose that I have are somewhat faded in scent compared to what the cream smelled like when it was newer...I dunno. Or, although they smelled similiar the mix of scent ingrediants still may have been different enough for you to have a different reaction. Since you've not tried the D R Harris, T&H, or Taylor rose creams it's unknown whether the Trumper version alone bothers you or if the issue is more...er....generic. Anyway, glad that the Coate's version works for you as it was always an excellent shave cream.
Regards,
Gordon
vtmax

Post by vtmax »

And it was an exciting cream. I just received a new pot of Taylors Rose and it's perfect. These firms are still making great creams. Enjoy Sunday gents.

Max
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

I don't use creams, but I currently have Mystic Water soap's "Rosalimone" in my rotation, and it's probably the best scent of any shaving product I have ever tried. The mix of rose and lemon is just perfect.
"If we had steak, we could have steak and eggs, if we had some eggs."
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I thoroughly enjoyed the Old Coates rose and am glad Andy was able to locate a source. For my next rose purchase though I will probably choose Harris.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Just checking in to say I've nearly finished the first tube of my Coates Rose shaving cream. Used it tonight with the Franks Shaving Synthetic brush, this vintage cream is legendary for a reason.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, It is indeed, and trust me, the Coate's in the pots was better still.
Regards,
Gordon
Bob in TX

Post by Bob in TX »

I agree Gary. I am taking the Coate's Sandalwood tube with me for this weekends wild hog hunt.

They got it right.

Bob in TX

Post by Bob in TX »

I had to post this. I used the Coate's Sandalwood again today, but in conjunction with a truly Vintage shave.

I received a box of Gillette Super Stainless Steel “Spoilers” with my Ball End Tech some time back. I used one for the first time today. I slipped it into my New SC, lathered up with the discontinued Coate’s cream using my vintage Chesterfield brush that GDCarrington built for me. What a GREAT shave! I finished up old school with Clubman.

brothers

Post by brothers »

Bob, this reminds me that I have a tube of the Coates Sandalwood, and I really should use it more often. I'm going to go find it and put it where I can see it when it's time to change.
Gary

Bob in TX

Post by Bob in TX »

Gary-I am glad I am not the only one with that problem.....too many soaps, too little time! :D
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Time well spent Bob, time well spent.
Regards,
Squire
Bob in TX

Post by Bob in TX »

I liked the shave so much that I pulled out the Coate's Lavender Tuesday. The Coate's, Spoiler, and NEW SC worked very well together.

function

Post by function »

Used the Almond again today. This stuff is just fantastic . . . though I have to say the Real Shave Co creams are not too far behind in spite of the lack of parabens.

I actually gifted one of my tubes of Rose to a friend along with a very old Tech and he has officially come over to the dark(and by dark I mean enlightened) side with us.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.