What's today's soap or cream?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
JRTASTER

Re: What's today's soap or cream?

Post by JRTASTER »

A Completely Clinique Day. Ex Strength Liquid Face Wash, Clinique Shave Cream and Clinique Post Shave Healer.
A fine shave. Good to mix it up a bit!
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
brothers

Post by brothers »

Wendell, are you going to give it a go as a shave soap? Actually, you won't even have to actually shave with it, if it doesn't seem to lather as expected. Might be worth a try.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Guess I could try using it as a stick directly to the face. It contains sea salt as an exfoliant so not sure about that. Guess I could go straight from the cake to a brush. I will think about it some mer before I try it.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

I see what you mean. Getting the soap to the brush or vice versa might be a bit of a challenge. Maybe just hold it in the palm of your hand and load the brush there, then see if you can get it to maka a usable lather on your hand? Wouldn't it be something if it really does make a suitable shaving lather.

Oh, before I forget, yesterday's cream was XPEC unscented, I was trying to see if one of my tobacco scented potions would give any noticeable scent to a lather, and it didn't. I probably didn't use near enough in the lather. XPEC is a really thick cream coming out of the jar, and makes a delightful lather. Today's soap was First Lime soap. I'm thinking about using one bowl of my home made soap until it's all used up, then moving on to the next bowl. This would help me get a handle on how long this soap lasts compared to the others. I am only loading for 15 seconds these days, so it should last a while.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

So -- I tried the Swedish Dream Sea Salt soap this am --- and took precaution by having my Gold Dachs close at hand in case it was a failure, which, in fact it was. Epic failure as a matter of fact. :shock:

This soap is a great body soap, and works well with a brush, loofa, shower sponge (or whatever those shower-scrunchee-thingies are called), etc. But do not -- I repeat DO NOT (shouting intended) use this stuff for shaving. You will be disappointed beyond belief. :evil:

So - as I said --- Gold Dachs this morning for the 2nd and 3rd passes ...... and may I add that Gold Dachs is awfully good and all! =D>
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

Wendell, thanks for taking one for the team on this soap. Another myth is now exposed, and we can rest assured we're not missing out on something. It sounds like Gold Dachs came through with a happy ending. I'll have to admit that's one I have yet to try.
Gary

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

brothers wrote:Wendell, thanks for taking one for the team on this soap. Another myth is now exposed, and we can rest assured we're not missing out on something. It sounds like Gold Dachs came through with a happy ending. I'll have to admit that's one I have yet to try.
You are welcome ----- sorry that I can't say it was my pleasure -- 'cos it wasn't. At least I could salvage and create a good shave with the Gold Dachs. This is one I tried on a whim and ordered without asking around to see what it was like. The price is beyond reasonable and I really like the aluminium tin it comes in. Just a nice clean, well-engineered packaging for a simply wonderful product. The scent is very nice as well. Clean and light. You gotta try this stuff.
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

The bins are overflowing with good soaps from around the world. Now that I know what's really good, it's never even a debate, I go with the soap I made, hands down. The rest are orphans, ghosts of foolish (in hindsight) past consumerism gone mad. I'll let you in on a little secret: currently, instead of thinking about any particular commercial soap, now my curiosity is more along the lines of --- "I gotta make some more soap so I can scent it with a nice pipe tobacco fragrance, so I can use start using it along with these others I made. Gosh, I hope it turns out as good as the last one."
Gary

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Good for you Gary!

I used Provence Sante Verlain this morning. Tomorrow I'm back to using up the product queue.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I'm not familiar with that one Brian, can you offer up some notes.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Squire when I first obtained it (free) I wondered if I would ever like the scent had I smelled it first I probably never would have bought it. Some scents I just can't place accurately, but it's definitely floral, maybe some patchouli in it, maybe a hint of rosemary. That's the best I can do on the scent. I'm not a fan of patchouli, but in this it's good (if it's there). It's a non-tallow hard French soap and the shaving performance is very good. It does take a bit of loading to get enough on the brush. It's not super expensive, maybe $10 a puck, but that was a few years ago. Oh, the scent... I like it just fine now. The more I smelled it the more it grew on me. The scent is strong to my sensitive nose, but quite pleasant, I get mostly all high notes in the scent.

If you'd like that sort of scent it's worth a try. It's a pretty good soap. If you like following with a complementary AS, they do make a PS verlain AS, or was it a cologne? Anyway, whatever it is, it's at my local natural food market.

It's been maybe a year since I last used it and it was like meeting an old friend.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

Again, the soap I call First Lime. It's the MdC copy, scented with lime essential oil.
Gary

nelson

Post by nelson »

Although I've been a member of SMF since the "Crack of Doom" days I used today for the first time GFT Sandalwood shaving cream. I found that it works very well and has a pleasant scent. However, the scent wasn't what I expected. To me, it didn't resemble the cologne. Instead, it seemed to be very similar to the C&E sandalwood shaving cream's scent. This was a cream I used fairly often 2007-2008 or 2009.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Salter's sandalwood cream for my evening shave, got a touch more woodsy scent this evening. Of course that may have been my neighbor's fireplace chimney on this chilly eve but it was nice nonetheless.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Noxzema Original Deep Cleansing Cream
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

You shaved with that?
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Nelson, Trumper's 'sandalwood' products do not all have the same scent. The shave cream, the hard shave soap, and the cologne all smell markedly different. The scent of their Sandalwood cream is not unlike that of the old T&H and Coate's sandalwood offerings and it is my personal favourite of the old school English 'sandalwood' creams that are still being offered. Coate's, of course, is no longer made and T&H significently changed the scent of their version ( and NOT for the better, IMO ). Taylor's always had a bit different take on this scent as their version is scented to match their Sandalwood Cologne. So, it's the Trumper's version for me. I also like the fact that it is not colored.
Regards,
Gordon
jaguar

Post by jaguar »

Valobra Patchouli Shaving Soap
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

jaguar wrote:Valobra Patchouli Shaving Soap
Jaguar, I have and love the performance of the Valobra Cologne hard soap.
Its fragrance, for me, is neither a plus or minus. How do you rate the scent
of the Patchouly version???
Are you as keen as most as of us on the performance of the new Valobra soaps?
Thanks,
jr/John
jr/John
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Today's choice was the Aramis Lab Series* (brushless) Shave Crème; good results!

*misidentified originally as Aramis 900
Last edited by JRTASTER on Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jr/John