Los Angles Shaving Soap Co.

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Oscar11

Los Angles Shaving Soap Co.

Post by Oscar11 »

I've been on a soap buying binge again and have picked up 4 during the last couple of weeks. 3 of the 4 have been very good products. The LA Shaving soap is called Topanga Fougere and could be my favorite of the bunch. This a soft soap or croap with a wonderful scent, IMO. This is a veg soap, if that matters but I can use tallow or veg and my face doesn't seem to know the difference. This soap lathers easily and has excellent skin care and protection during the shave. BTW, I also got a sample of Woody Lavender which I thought was nicely scented too.
rbaloha

Re: Los Angles Shaving Soap Co.

Post by rbaloha »

Alledgelly, this soap was reversed engineered from the highly acclaimed Martin de Candre. =D>
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yes. This fellow created a thread at B&B and posted at length about it. That's where I found the recipe for one of my soaps. His fragrances are proprietary of course. If I wasn't making mine, I hope I'd have enough sense to buy his. :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Bob in TX

Post by Bob in TX »

LA Shaving soap is called Topanga Fougere and could be my favorite of the bunch.
I agree. I got one of the sample packs from Casie and Brad at Maggard. I tried the sample of Topanga Fougere yesterday. WOW! I will be placing an order when it is back in stock. I also liked the Woody Lavender.

What a great line of quality soaps!

oldtrout

Post by oldtrout »

I have the LASS Topanga Fourgere. It's performance is very similar to MdC.
One can't believe everything one reads on the internet -- Abraham Lincoln
Bob in TX

Post by Bob in TX »

I used the last of my T. Fougere LASS today, It was even better. Great easy slick conditioning lather and even greater scent. I just saw that it is back in stock and will be placing an order. I really liked the Woody Lavender too.

John Parker

Post by John Parker »

Just received three samples of Los Angeles Shaving Soap; Fougere, Woody Lavender and Bespoke #1. Tried the sample of Bespoke this morning and wow! A very little bit of soap scooped into a bowl and lathered proved to be too much product! Really abundant, thick and creamy lather. The scent is vetiver-heavy but not too strong. On the next tests I will concentrate more on scent, but this first outing I was testing the shave. Lather held up well, stayed moist, slick with nice glide, and certainly a lot of cushion. Very, very nice shave, and a postshave face-feel that truly rivals MdC. Would mention that LASS now offers the soaps in the older style jar, but now also in a wider (5" I think) tin to make loading the brush from the container easier.
John
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

as an aside, they accept bitcoin for payment :shock:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

Shaved with the LASS fougere today. Scent was what I am becoming to know as fougere, but this had the hint of bitterness from something in it. Very easy and quick to produce lather. Good glide and cushion; nice shave. Face feel was excellent. Face felt the least bit tacky after rinsing, but only for a couple minutes. Then it was smooth and moisturized. Deliberately did not put on any splash or balm just to see what happened; face remains smooth, moisturized and completely comfortable. I personally do not notice any difference between this and MdC except the price.
John
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

do not notice any difference between this and MdC except the price
thats a huge difference!! :lol:

clive

p.s. a friend was in paris recently and she brought back a spare bottle of mdc for me.....I think she paid about 50-60$. Everytime i use mdc I go from . nice scent nice soap to what a waste of money. All this to say its never a totally good shave :?
Bob in TX

Post by Bob in TX »

My tub of Los Angeles Shaving Soap in the Woody Lavender scent arrived yesterday. After trying and really liking the 4 different samples from Maggard Razors, I decided to go with the WL. I liked the Topanga Fougère scent better, but not 50% better: $16 vs. $24. Many have compared the LASS soap to MdC. The owner tried to reverse engineer the MdC. I can’t speak to that, not having used MdC yet (I guess if you find it very close, $24 still beats the heck out of $60+ for MdC). I can say that this is a great soap. It is a soft croap and very easy to lather, even in my ROCK hard water. It doesn’t take much soap to get a lot of creamy, thick, and very cushioning lather. My face feels great. Those of you that have used both can comment on how they compare. The bottom line for me is that this is an excellent artisan soap line.

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Bob, thanks for the rewview.

I'm looking forward to receiving a tub of the topanga as my xxx needs a replacement

clive
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

My soap arrived a couple of days ago.

here is what i think:
1. first and foremost, the packaging that I chose (standard plastic tub) is completely wrong for the brush i use.......Unless your brush is a wee scott or similar, I HIGHLY recommend the 5" tin, even though depth wise, that looks suspect too :-?

2. To my nose, the scent might be similar to mdc, but it definitely isnt mdc

3. the lather isn't bad at all and post shave it leaves the skin feeling soft, ergo thumbs up in that department :D

4. service and shipping etc from the vendor is top notch

clive
Bob in TX

Post by Bob in TX »

I finished up my MdC sample yesterday and I wanted to follow up the last MdC shave with the LASS Woody Lavender. LASS soaps really are excellent and can hold their head high against MdC. I really like the Woody Lavender scent (and the lower price relative to both MdC and the other LASS soaps).

FYI-He has switched to the larger jars and waterproof labels.

Mine is still in the old jar. Plenty left.........