Creed and Knize shaving soaps

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Creed and Knize shaving soaps

Post by brothers »

These products are just the price of a good hamburger more expensive than Penhaligon's soaps in the bowl. I'm wondering if those who use them regularly would like to share their opinions of the fragrances and performance of these elite soaps, ostensibly a fine gift for the fortunate gent who has everything. Creed has three scents, Knize only the one.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Re: Creed and Knize shaving soaps

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, I never personally used the Creed shave soap(s) as the scent did not appeal to me ( never mind the outrageous price ) but I have used the Knize. This was a number of years ago now but I recall that it was somewhat disappointing, not really as good as the soaps I was used to using ( the old Trumpers, Penhaligon's, Floris, etc. ). I somehow doubt that it's better today....although by comparison to what's happened to many of the soaps I used to use, maybe it would SEEM better. For me, these soaps are kind of expensive to just buy on a lark, you know, just to check them out.
Regards,
Gordon
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Gary, I have the creed soap, if I am not mistaken is made by Volabra, I bought it for the scent and have not been disappointed. Think AOS tallow performance.
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I'm not the least bit interested. For a premium price I expect more than a name.
Regards,
Squire
woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

Gary, I have used the Knize soap. It's been a while, but my recollection is that it was an "OK" performer - not near the level of Valobra soaps and other top soaps. The Knize soap irritated my skin, so I ended up giving it a better home. The fragrance was nice....very similar to Knize 10.
Lynn
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

off topic, but what was the name of the car gent from Fl(?) that luuuuuved knize? he used to be very active and then just like that was mia

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Tony retired and went to the farm. He drops in occasionally between visits to the John Deere website.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Clive, What Squire said. And to think that it was I who corrupted him by sending him that bottle of Knize Ten aftershave. Ah well....
Regards,
Gordon
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Gordon you have the claim to fame of corrupting EVERYONE here!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

p.s. thanks for gents name, squire!

clive
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Gordon I'm not yet fully corrupted, so if you've got any more of that aftershave . . .
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Squire, A....no....I think that you're already there. In fact, you blamed me for the same years ago now ( remember?...you said I was 'bad company' ) and I doubt that you've become less corrupted with the passage of time ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

I was in their Vienna shop >48 hours ago. I asked. Politely. You know: "Is the shaving soap still made to the traditional formula?" "But of course." Information received, nobody's honour impugned.

But I agree with the others; it's not that good. Rather thin lather.

I had the Green Irish Tweed shaving soap once. Don't recall it as being anything special. But in any case why would I want to smell, while shaving, what I'm going to wear all day?
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I get this image of an obsequious Dickensian clerk politely ringing up overpriced, under performing goods.
Regards,
Squire
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

I went through a puck of GIT in 09/10 and found it similar to L'Occitane.
That was when the wife thought this shaving thing was fun (and she dominated the bathroom shelves :)
I really liked the unsanded shaving bowl and still use it, but most find it a letdown considering the cost.
Eric
brothers

Post by brothers »

Apparently some shaving soaps are priced artfully according to the snob-factor. There are some that are apparently mediocre to pretty good ones that sell for handsome prices due to the name of popular and expensive lines of fragrances.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Flash G wrote:I went through a puck of GIT in 09/10 and found it similar to L'Occitane.

I really liked the unsanded shaving bowl and still use it, but most find it a letdown considering the cost.
I agree Eric, shavers like us would notice the less than optimum performance. I suspect though that most of their customers use cartridge rigs and may not know better things are available.
Regards,
Squire