the FAT

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
wvbias

Re: the FAT

Post by wvbias »

A hillbilly like me would probably buy
some Captain Black...ducking for
cover.... :D

Terry
brothers

Post by brothers »

Jack Black? Really? :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Come to think of it yes, it would, but one habit at a time.
Regards,
Squire
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

Re: the FAT/Short Rant

Postby John Parker » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:10 am

Tried my MWF again this morning and though I had a good shave, I was disappointed in my lather - again! All I seem to generate is a thin coat. Granted, I used my short-loft Simpson Colonel which isn't the best for generating lather, but thought it would do better than it did. (See how I blame this all on the brush?) First pass was thin so I reloaded. Second pass was a bit better. But I really would like to someday develop a thick, rich lather with this stuff! Other than the usual "use more product", does anyone have more suggestions? Please?? Thanks!!

John
Squire wrote:Well, if it's any help I don't think it's the brush.
Please excuse my probably poor (but hope it works) attempt at quoting two posts. At any rate, Squire, tried MWF with my Colonel yesterday and got poor lather. Went through exactly the same procedure this morning but used my Grosvenor LE and got brilliant lather. Can't help but think it is the brush. I think that the short-lofted Colonel just doesn't produce a good lather, regardless of soap. Eagerly awaiting a persuasive argument otherwise!
John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Far be it from me to argue John, if the Grosvenor is working go for it.
Regards,
Squire
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

I hope with idea is worth a try and works for you too.
I may be lucky, getting a nice lather from MWF has never been a problem for me.

I have found using water that is to hot affects making lather. I found this so long ago I don't even think about anymore. I just don't use water at its hottest temperature
when I make lather.

Just last week I was talking to a good friend of mine and he mentioned he can't get as good a lather with MWF as he does with Mikes natural soaps. I told him I get either product
to lather up equally as well as the other. So I am thinking all that day why, why, why.

Later that night it dawns on me maybe he is using real hot water, I tell him about it, and two days later he reports back to me how MWF is lathering amazingly well.

Try it and lets see if lower water temperatures make the difference.

Marc
brothers

Post by brothers »

Marc, I have found several soaps that don't lather with very hot tap water. To me that's a sign of a defect in the soap recipe. When I try a new soap nowadays, one of my primary tests is to see if it will give up a quick and abundant lather with the hottest tap water I can get. That's the way I like 'em.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That's makes sense marc. We've had some discussion over the years about shaving with warm or even cold water and quite a few shavers here have reported good results.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

My own experience with MWF is that the more focused I was in the end result, the worse it performed. The less I fussed about it, the more enjoyable the end result became. Ymmv.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Courierdog

Post by Courierdog »

I have been using MWF for several weeks now and found yes it does seem to take a wee bit more effort to create a great lather.
My personal end result is great lather, IF I load the brush sufficiently well, careful not to use overly hot water on the brush or the soap, drain the water off the soap and use this water to add back the required water content as I mix up the lather.
not sure how to add pictures of my results
Moss Scuttle Cobalt Blue
Franks Silver Tip (26mm/50mm)
Mitichell's Wool Fat
Persona Lab Blue
Razorock Stainless Steel Slant
Edwin Jagger Alovera
95%

Post by 95% »

For the last three years my puck of THE FAT has lived in a Tabac ceramic bowl. Oh the shame! Today I ordered a fresh puck in a proper MWF ceramic bowl. That's the only way to go.
Porter
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

a fresh puck in a proper MWF ceramic bowl.
=D> =D> =D>
de gustibus non est disputandum
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

When the fat's happy everybody's happy.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

MWF is an icon. So much so it has inspired Haslinger (Austria) to create a directly competing soap -- Schafmilch -- a great soap. A very worthy imitator. Nobody complains about problems getting it to lather.
Last edited by brothers on Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

brothers wrote:MWF is an icon. So much so it has inspired Haslinger (Austria) to create a directly competing soap -- Schiefmilch -- a great soap. A very worthy imitator. Nobody complains about problems getting it to lather.
True, but i find the Haslinger Schafmilch much easier to lather then MWF. In fact, I actually prefer it.
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

The bottom of my ceramic dish suddenly popped into view last week. While getting a new puck out from my stash I found whats left (about half) of my original cake of Harris Almond. The scent was still strong, much stronger than the newer offerings. A wicked thought crossed my mind and I put it in the dish over the remnants of the Fat. After some use I'm hoping for a merger between the two [-o<

I'm not so sure about how the scents will mix, though #-o
but I'm counting on that the Almond soaps scent will overpower the mild MWF scent.
Eric
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

All this blasphemy -- mixing MWF with other scented soaps, using the ceramic dish for something other than the Fat ---- :shock:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

C'mon Wendell, try the Schafmilch already! What's the worst that could happen? You might like it? :)
Gary

95%

Post by 95% »

How is the fragrance of Schafmilch, Gary? To me the scent of MWF is its best feature.
Porter
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Just avert your eyes Wendell, it will pass.
Regards,
Squire