Buckingham Palace Shaving Cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
churchilllafemme

Buckingham Palace Shaving Cream

Post by churchilllafemme »

I have been trying to get rid of a lot of my shaving creams in order to focus more on soaps, but when I saw this vintage Buckingham Palace shaving cream I just couldn't resist.
ImageImageImageImageImage
_______
John
brothers

Re: Buckingham Palace Shaving Cream

Post by brothers »

Interesting find John. A general question, I wonder if stuff can be named after the royal palace by anybody? It seems that there might be some kind of legal restrictions? If anybody can call their stuff that, then I have dibs on BP deodorant, foot powder, laxative, etc., you get my drift? Are there no British equivalents to trademarks/copyrights? Just wondering . . .
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

One of these days MI6 is gonna show up at John's door when the Queen starts looking for her stuff.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, Yeah there are. I don't know how much actual legal weight is behind them but for British firms to use words like 'royal' or 'crown' in their product name, they are supposed to have permission from the Palace to do so. Sooo...that and the fact that the address is simply listed as 'St. James Palace' at least suggests that this product may have been made to sell at gift shops in the royal residences...or some such. Assuming that it's really an English made product and not some sort of weird counterfeit. It can't be that old because it has that expiration symbol on it and they haven't been using that for very many years...started sometime after this forum was in existence, I can't remember exactly what year. Also, no actual manufacturer is named although the packaging has a resemblance to some of the Penhaligon products, and Penhaligon's does, of course, hold two Royal Warrants so they might be called upon to make the kind of item I suggested above. I say...what does the stuff actually smell like?
Regards,
Gordon
churchilllafemme

The cream apparently was sold through the Royal Collection Trust Shop (http://www.royalcollectionshop.co.uk/), which now lists it as out of stock. This trust seems to be sanctioned to sell royal souvenirs and knickknacks, as well as running the tours of the Palace and of Windsor Castle.

Since I just bought it today on eBay, I don't know what its scent is like. I'll report on it once I've opened and used it.
_______
John
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

John, Ah so!....my guess was pretty spot on....good for me! Well, do let us know more about this rare shave cream when it arrives.
Regards,
Gordon
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

churchilllafemme wrote:The cream apparently was sold through the Royal Collection Trust Shop (http://www.royalcollectionshop.co.uk/), which now lists it as out of stock. This trust seems to be sanctioned to sell royal souvenirs and knickknacks, as well as running the tours of the Palace and of Windsor Castle.

Since I just bought it today on eBay, I don't know what its scent is like. I'll report on it once I've opened and used it.
I was gonna jump into the discussion to call out that this stuff doesn't require the warrant, cos the royal family essentially own the brand --- but as one can see, John beat me to it. Hail Britannia! Interested in hearing a review/report on product worthiness for wet shaving.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

No shaving cream, but soap-on-a-rope; "unfortunately" out of stock: http://www.olddurhamroad.com/product/3261/Men
John
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

sort of on/off subject, but did you guys see the newz story late yesterday/today that the queen made harry shave his beard?? :D :D :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

de gustibus non est disputandum
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Wonder if he used MWF or Buckingham Palace cream........ :-k
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
churchilllafemme

My Buckingham Palace Gentlemen's Shaving Cream arrived today. It smells to me very Penhaligon-like, sort of like a cross between Blenheim Bouquet and Opus 1870. I'll try shaving with it soon.
_______
John
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Umm..."Penhaligon-like"....just as I suspected ( see my above post ). That must be an interesting fragrance, I'm trying to get a fix on that in my mind's eye. All signs currently point to a cream that performs well...let us know. When it was still available at that Royal site do you know how much they were asking for it?
Regards,
Gordon
churchilllafemme

bernards66 wrote:When it was still available at that Royal site do you know how much they were asking for it?
Regards,
Gordon
No, I'm sorry, I never saw it at the site. I just found the site by Googling after I bought the cream on eBay. It cost me $18.99 shipped, and I can't imagine that it would have been much less than that at a commercial site.
_______
John
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

John, No, I'm sure it wasn't...most likely a fair amount more than that. Have you actually shaved with it yet?
Regards,
Gordon
harper

Post by harper »

Somewhere in that name there should be a possessive apostrophe. Gentlemen's? Gentlemens'?
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Harper, glad to see you back and posting!
Now if we can only coax Craig from Cincy back into the fold... Craig, Craig??
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
harper

Post by harper »

Thanks JR:

I just took a hiatus from posting although I have periodically lurked a bit now and then. While I am interested in shaving because I decided
years and years ago that if I had to do it for the rest of my life I would try to make it something interesting or that was at least a bit fun. What I am trying to say here
not very well is that while shaving is a bit of a hobby with me I have not been bitten (stung?) by the shaving bug as a good many posters have. Also, I have
found that my interest in many cases is more in the marketing of shaving products than how some obscure cream from some obscure company performs
in comparison to some obscure cream of another obscure company. There is absolutely nothing wrong with those who get a kick out of that kind of thing
but a lot of the stuff is a bit more arcane that I prefer to get into.

I also find that when I try some blade that is highly recommended by a lot of people it is usually worth trying but for some reason I still get my best DE shave
from old-fashioned Derby blades. They do the job for me and I have quit fiddling around with other brands.

I remain a fan of Trumper's shaving creams and have used them since about 1970. In the interim I have tried all the leading Brit high-end creams and all were
good but not as good to me as Trumper's. A couple of major shifts have taken place in my Trumper brand use: I started with Almond shaving soap until I discovered
I could get a lather much better suited to my needs with Trumper Almond shaving cream. I used Almond for about 25 years until Bernard and a few others convinced
me I should try some of the other Trumper scents: I tried them all and now tend to use coconut oil in the colder months and Limes in the warmer months. However,
I keep three or four tubes of Almond in reserve just in case I begin withdrawal symptoms. And truth be known, my results with a can of Gillette shaving cream are just
as good ... sometimes better because the canned stuff often has more emollients than traditional creams ... as with my Trumper creams. However, I like to use a brush
and using a brush with a canned cream seems just plain silly to me although I have heard of shavers who do.

Unlike the experiences of some members of SMF I can get a terrific shave with a PowerFusion razor (no bumbs or other skin problems no matter how many times or how long I use one). It is as
good ... or possibly better ... than the Derby shaves in my Futur but I object to the price of the cartridges ... notwithstanding that for a good many years ... a good many years ago ...
Gillette paid me a lot of money as a consultant.

Bob
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Bob, good to see you here again. I always appreciate your posts and hope you stop by more often.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

Bob, it is those very characteristics about your posting and your experiences that I've always enjoyed reading about. Thanks for checking in.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444