What's the best shaving cream?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
wvbias

Re: What's the best shaving cream?

Post by wvbias »

php111 wrote:Hi Terry,

Is this what you are talking about? http://www.straightrazordesigns.com/ind ... cts_id=189
I've used Merkur blades as well. This is the same brand as
the razor that you are looking at.

I actually like Merkur blades but some of these guys don't.
They are a little expensive when compared to other blades.

The Astra SP's are a fraction of the cost and for me are
just as good. I'm positive others will disagree... :)

Terry
php111

Post by php111 »

Thank you so much!
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Have you watched those three videos that were linked in a prior post? They really will get you into this more easily than the written word alone.
Regards,
Gordon
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

bernards66 wrote:Have you watched those three videos that were linked in a prior post? They really will get you into this more easily than the written word alone.
Regards,
Gordon
I got the same advice from Gordon about 6 yrs ago when I went back to traditional wet shaving. Please go to the mantic59 youtube channel in the link and watch the videos. You will not go wrong and will actually learn a lot more than you can just by asking questions here. Now that statement only applies for a newbie needing to learn more than just what is the best cream/soap, razor, brush, etc. Those things are more personal preference. Watch the videos and then come back with your questions.

Oh, welcome to SMF.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
php111

Post by php111 »

I'm not sure how to wet shave or none of that. 100% of what was said and what was pointed out in this thread, I have never heard of and I certainly never tried it. I only wanted to know if I could and would be able to go normally about it by using Proraso and/or Truefitt Rose and apply one of those two to my face for shaving cream and that would replace the ones that comes in cans where you would spray it into your hand and rub it across your face, and use the Merkur Long Handled Safety Razor with the Merkur blades?
brothers

Post by brothers »

The answer is yes. You can do it that way. As you can see, we get all stirred up when someone comes along and rings our bell. We do appreciate your presence here, and I'm hoping you will continue to participate by commenting and contributing to the conversation.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
php111

Post by php111 »

brothers wrote:The answer is yes. You can do it that way. As you can see, we get all stirred up when someone comes along and rings our bell. We do appreciate your presence here, and I'm hoping you will continue to participate by commenting and contributing to the conversation.

Hi Gary,

Thank you so much!
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

If you are going to use a traditional shave cream like Truefitt & Hill or Proraso with your hands, put a smallish blob on one damp hand then add a little water with the other and rub your hands together to make a lather and then apply to your face. Do NOT use the product straight out of the tube and smear it on your face. These products are meant to be lathered up with water in order to be effective. Thought I'd mention this just in case...
Regards,
Gordon
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Can't tell you anything about the merkur long handled razor. But it will use merkur DE blades and any other DE blade made today. The question really is whether you'll like the merkur blades or prefer others. Another question is whether that particular razor would be suitable for a noob. I simply don't know.

I would suggest a vintage Gillette; a Tech, or a Slim set to a low setting. Neither razor would set you back much money. The Slim would grow with you as you need it to if you need it to. A vintage razor would need to be sanitized, but that's no big deal.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

php111 wrote:I'm not sure how to wet shave or none of that. 100% of what was said and what was pointed out in this thread, I have never heard of and I certainly never tried it. I only wanted to know if I could and would be able to go normally about it by using Proraso and/or Truefitt Rose and apply one of those two to my face for shaving cream and that would replace the ones that comes in cans where you would spray it into your hand and rub it across your face, and use the Merkur Long Handled Safety Razor with the Merkur blades?
Here's a LINK that you might find of interest!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
rbaloha

Post by rbaloha »

Tried numerous creams.

Currently my best cream is La Toja.
php111

Post by php111 »

I have some concerns.

First, I ordered the Merkur 1904 42C Safety Razor, and those blades from Amazon I linked above.

Second, I live in a group home and I let these people shave me and no one here neither am I but just normal regular shavers. With something as sharp as I ordered, do I have to worry if this will cut my face, or my throat/atoms apple while someone is shaving me? Or I have nothing to worry about?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Speaking practically, of course razor blades are quite capable of cutting skin in use. If one is shaving another one, particularly if they're not sufficiently experienced in the use of a double edge razor and blade, one or more cuts is quite likely to occur. Face, throat, adams apple, what have you. Anywhere the blade might land is fair game. That's the truth.
Gary

php111

Post by php111 »

brothers wrote:Speaking practically, of course razor blades are quite capable of cutting skin in use. If one is shaving another one, particularly if they're not sufficiently experienced in the use of a double edge razor and blade, one or more cuts is quite likely to occur. Face, throat, adams apple, what have you. Anywhere the blade might land is fair game. That's the truth.

That right there sounds too risky and I have a fear like that.
php111

Post by php111 »

brothers wrote:Speaking practically, of course razor blades are quite capable of cutting skin in use. If one is shaving another one, particularly if they're not sufficiently experienced in the use of a double edge razor and blade, one or more cuts is quite likely to occur. Face, throat, adams apple, what have you. Anywhere the blade might land is fair game. That's the truth.

Should I cancel my Amazon order, and find something that's not as sharp?
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm not qualified to answer that one for you. Use your best judgment. I'm sure you have considered the likelihood that whatever they're using currently may be the best choice under your circumstances. Best regards,
Gary

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

php111 wrote: Should I cancel my Amazon order, and find something that's not as sharp?
Not to make light of this, but less sharp for shaving would be a depilatory. For any shaving to be done the edge must be incredibly sharp. Otherwise, like Nair, you won't want to shave with it.

OK, now practically speaking, I ask my wife to shave my neck for me with razors she's never used before. Those would be my SE (that's single edge not straight edge) razors. My SE razors are quite aggressive and they're probably far less forgiving than your razor on order. She has no problem and I've not been cut. The key is to tell the person wielding the razor how to do it; no pressure, etc. Failure to do that... OK, they're safety razors. That's as compared to straight razors. Yes you can get cuts and gashes if someone does something really stupid, but ordinarily nothing like that happens with ordinary care. Razor blades are the sharpest things that anyone normally encounters in life. BTW, the cutting edges in a cartridge are every bit as sharp; they must be in order to work, they will cut and gash if used stupidly.

I don't think you'll have any problems. :-) Just don't piss of the person you ask to shave your neck. Freddy Kruger wouldn't be a good person to ask to shave you. I actually think you'll have more of a problem getting the person to shave anything at all since there is a learning curve. But again, that's where communicating comes in. You'll know and can make changes to the angle to instruct.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I am in a minority here but I like the Schick Hydro 5 razor because it shaves my face so slick and with no nicks I don't know about ingrowns because I don't have them. You could try it but it is more expensive than disposables--but still less than a decent DE razor. I got some Coates creams here at the club when they were offered at a very low price. I like the Rose scent best. Others prefert lavender.
Ouchmychin (Pete)