Where to get the Valobra stick (US)?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
BPman

Re: Where to get the Valobra stick (US)?

Post by BPman » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:26 pm

Update: I decided to melt down what was left of my Valobra stick into a tub to give it one last 'Hurrah' before trashing it. I only 'nuked' it for 10 seconds which was plenty of time to make is soft enough to mould into a bowl. I then did a test lather and finally today I used it for a shave. Well, it finally worked!! =D> Great lather!! Lest anyone think I am a rookie with shave sticks, I have used them for years and never had any problem like I had with this one except for the wretched reformulated Erasmic stick.

Either my stick was a dud or was old as dirt. Melting it into a bowl and letting it 'bloom' for several minutes with lots of hot water 'saved' it. Nonetheless, if I ever buy another Valobra product it will be the hard soap puck.

Brutus

Post by Brutus » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:27 pm

BPman wrote:I can't get this stick to lather worth a damn with animal hair or synthetic. Personally, I think it's overrated. The cushion & glide is lacking as well. Hell, cheap Arko shames this!! :roll: :roll:

I am surprised, as this is not my observation.

For the last few months, I have used Valobra in one form or the another (semi-hard soap, hard soap in blue tub, or stick) more than any other shaving soap, as I have always been very fond of Valobra.
On my last trip to Europe I even picked up a 1kg brick of Valobra semi-hard shaving soap that until then I didn't know existed.

Although I don't use sticks as much as I used to and my half-used Valobra stick has been sitting in my cabinet for quite some time, your comment prompted me to try the stick this morning and I had no problems getting a creamy, well lubricating lather and excellent shave.
From my own experience, Valobra sticks seem to have a long shelf life and I would have no problems ordering more than one, if shipping costs for a single stick became an issue.

As for alternatives; for much repeated reasons I don't care for Arko and much rather use Palmolive, D.R. Harris or La Toja sticks.

B.

BPman

Post by BPman » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:04 pm

Brutus, another poster stated that Valobra had a bad lot of shave sticks in the past and I think I got one. I e-mailed them (in Italian to boot!) and heard nothing back.

JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:17 am

If someone else hasn't caught it Connaught ships free to the U.S. for $ 100, which is £ 65.
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John