TOBS Lime Luxury Shaving Soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: TOBS Lime Luxury Shaving Soap

Post by Squire »

Now they've got your location Gary.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Maybe they'll offer to send me one?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

brothers wrote:Its been a while since anyone's mentioned this elusive shaving soap from Taylor's. I sent an email to the TOBS contact link, and received a response that said Taylors had referred my request for information to their North American distributor. A couple of hours following that, I received a cryptic email from someone asking me a simple question. . Where are you? My response was just as terse. I answered Oklahoma City. No response.
Hard to get a feel for TOBS' customer service from this. Other than the above fruitless and puzzling exchange . . . nothing . . .
Tonight I emailed both individuals, one from TOBS and the other from some kind of distributorship, Asked the following questions:
Jackie and Alistair, is there anyone who can let me know if any of your USA retailers are going to carry this product soon? Is the ingredient list identical to the Jermin Street soap?

It's been a long time since I used Jermin Street soap (never, actually), but if the ingredient list is the same for both Jermin Street and Lime, then I'm no longer going to be interested.
Last edited by brothers on Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, I don't know as they'll be inclined to respond to that as Eucris is offered by one of their direct competitors, Geo. F. Trumper....know what I mean?
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

bernards66 wrote:Gary, I don't know as they'll be inclined to respond to that as Eucris is offered by one of their direct competitors, Geo. F. Trumper....know what I mean?
Regards,
Gordon
HA!! You caught that too! Jackie at TOBS kindly pointed out that error also. (I've edited my original post above.) I wrote her back to apologize and ask for the ingredient list for Jermin Street soap. They evidently decided I am an idiot not worthy of assistance, and omitted responding to my request for the ingredients of the Lime soap. Originally they told me their distributor would be the appropriate source of USA retailers who've ordered the soap. Now they've evidently discovered they don't have that information and I am told if I want the Lime soap, I should order it directly from TOBS in UK.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

They might respond better if you inquire about the Jermyn Street shaving soap.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yeah, you got that right, bro. :) As a matter of fact, I did apologize and asked about the Jermin Street. The distributor also responded independently, and she told me that Carwyn's Shave Shop here in Oklahoma City carries the full TOBS line, and she suggested they'd be happy to get the soap for me. I have been to Carwyn's several times. As a matter of fact they ordered my T&H Almond for me a couple of years ago. I'll stop by the shop in the next couple of days and see what's what. She wants me to tell them Alistair sent me, and of course, that's exactly what I'm going to do. Meanwhile, after the TOBS head office received my follow-up, Jackie responded again to say the ingredients for the two soaps are not the same. Things seem to be back on track.
Gary

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, Good. Let us know how it goes. Interesting that she said the ingredients of the two soaps are not the same. There are several ways to interpret that or speculate about it. Anyway, be grateful, there are no shops any more in Tampa that stock any of this sort of thing. Used to be a few but not now. I always buy in person when I can even if the price is a little more but now I don't have that option ( don't travel to NYC anymore either unfortunately ).
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

I find it a bit troubling that there don't seem to be any posts about this soap on any of the shaving forums or Google or any other place that I can think of. Normally a new product will be the talk of the town. I am still reluctant to jump out and be the first in line to take one for the team. I'm going to presume our popular vendors have placed their orders, unless they too are waiting for the first shoe to drop.
Gary

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, It's not necessarily that odd if the soap, at the moment, is only available from Taylor's themselves. It seems to me that we used to have more active members in the UK than we do at present and someone in Britain, especially someone in London, would be most likely to try this stuff out. Then too, while it might be different on other forums, here at SMF most members are pretty well stocked and often already know what they like and are less inclined to buy a new product blind or just on a whim. Time was when I might have already sprung for one of these soaps, even if I had to order it direct from London, but not today. I'm sure, that at some point, one of our 'regulars' will post a report but it might not be for awhile.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

Gordon, yes, that's what I've been saying. Seems that Lime soaps are "sort of" popular, if two new ones can be considered popular. A friend of mine tells me that Bath House has reformulated their soaps to perform better than they did before, and they are going to be offering a new Lime version in a week or so. I also understand that UK vendors are currently starting to receive their TOBS Lime soap orders. The best Lime products I have used are Castle Forbes cream and Mike's soap. I have some Lime Essential Oil, and at some point if I make a new batch of shaving soap, I'll try to remember to make it in LIme.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I'm interested but am a few years away from having a slot for more shave soap. By the time I get around to ordering it the thing will probably be discontinued.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

The new TOBS Lime soap is in stock at Connaught Shaving in UK.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Perhaps Gordon can pick some up while he's over there.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Squire, Possibly. I will have an opportunity to take a good look at the ingredients list AND actually take a sniff or two at the scent. If the ingredients seem promising and if the scent is at all like 'real' lime I very well may pick up a puck. But that would be in October and I think that maybe somebody else here will already have reported on it by then.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Would still like to hear your thoughts Gordon.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've just noticed that Straight Razor Designs/Imperial Shaving has the TOBS Lime soap in stock currently. It shouldn't be long now before someone steps out with a meaningful review.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Reviews anyway, I expect the guys on the other Boards will jump in.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Following up on the Taylor's Luxury Lime soap. I eventually got mine and have used up about 1/4 of the cake. I really like it. I believe I reviewed it somewhere here a while back. After quite some time using other products, I'm now going to give the Luxury Lime it's own exclusive 3 or 4 week binge with the miraculous Monster Plissoft synthetic brush. I want to see how it holds up over the long haul.
Gary

Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

brothers wrote:Following up on the Taylor's Luxury Lime soap. I eventually got mine and have used up about 1/4 of the cake. I really like it. I believe I reviewed it somewhere here a while back. After quite some time using other products, I'm now going to give the Luxury Lime it's own exclusive 3 or 4 week binge with the miraculous Monster Plissoft synthetic brush. I want to see how it holds up over the long haul.
Gary,

Are you still liking this soap? A puck can be bought for about $13.00 shipped from Connaught. So I'm thinking on getting one. Maybe a Jermyn Street too!

Thanks,
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)