AoS soaps, no tallow

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
rsp1202

AoS soaps, no tallow

Post by rsp1202 »

Is there a consensus on whether the non-tallow version of the Art of Shaving soap is any good or not? I never followed the threads discussing this, as I'm sure there must have been, so am unaware of what the latest is. The few reviews I've read all refer to the older formulation. AoS prices being what they are, I'd like to get a handle on this before deciding whether it's worth pursuing.
Ron
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: AoS soaps, no tallow

Post by Squire »

I expect you will get a few responses on that Ron, haven't used it myself.
Regards,
Squire
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Just trying to figure out what's available in soaps these days from the major suppliers, Squire. I have samples of Harris Arlington and Marlborough en route, but am also looking for an unscented, and AoS popped up on the radar.
Ron
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Some members have had very good results from AOS but we don't have a store locally and it's not something I have been moved to order.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

I only used the tallow version, made by Valobra. I've been waiting to see what anyone that frequents SMF might have to say in a review of sorts. If there's been any, I've missed them. One of my points of interest is going to be whether the AOS veggie soaps have different scents than the Valobra-made versions. It was a clay-like undertone and they all had it (at least according to my nose which has been known to get things wrong sometimes).
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I'm afraid I can't be of much help either. I seem to remember a couple of members being chagrined with the new version but I don't remember the details nor where, exactly, those posts may be. Sort of off topic but those new Valobra soaps are about the only ones I've never used that I have been at all interested in trying. This is because those old AoS hard soaps did lather and shave very well but I just never cared for the scents, especially that clay-like note that they all seemed to have. I wonder if the Valobra branded versions are like that also?
Regards,
Gordon
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I've read impressions of this soap on another forum, where the consensus seemed to be that it wasn't a bad soap, but perhaps not worth $30.00 a cake.

- Murray
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

I've tried the Lavender NON-tallow and the tallow Lavender has been in my rotation for several years.
Others may disagree but for me the tallow is a far better performer. No doubt in my mind.
I have seen some comments that the new non tallow is "as good as" the tallow but none rating it appreciably better.
I was never bothered by the clay scent undertones some smell in the AoS tallow.
The Valobra-made tallow soaps are my very top favorites, day-in, day-out.
If I were to rank my soaps, the top tier would be:
---- AoS tallow, unscented and Lavender ) very close
---- Czech & Speake, Oxford and Cambridge )
---- Valobra tallow puck, cologne and patchouly, a definite 3rd to the two above
the next tier would be D R Harris Arlington ( and Almond when I used it)
and the next rank,: MWF
and still right up there, several flavors of Haslinger, especially the Ewe's Milk/Lanolin.
These other comments may help you see my tendencies. Easily generated lather, not fragrance, floats my boat. Rich, protective slick lather.
Having said all that, it would be easy to finger me as a tallow-freak, so my evaluations might be suspect to some.
That top tier of Valobra made soaps are certainly not inexpensive, but I really, really like them, so they are all "worth it" to me
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Hope this helped a bit.
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Thanks. Maybe I'll just take a pass.
Ron
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

CMur12 wrote:I've read impressions of this soap on another forum, where the consensus seemed to be that it wasn't a bad soap, but perhaps not worth $30.00 a cake.
For my use no soap refill is worth $30.00.
Regards,
Squire
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

I purchased the new AoS Lavender sans tallow a while back (curiosity you know). While I never particularly cared for the clay undertones in the scent of the tallow version, it was an excellent soap. I hold no special reverence for tallow-based soaps (MdC is my personal favorite), I was therefore agnostic on the vegetable-based new version AoS. Sadly, while the scent is a pleasant if basic lavender (clay aroma is gone), the lather is fairly lacking. Use any soap/water ratio you wish, but the lather will be thin and collapse easily. It capable of giving a reasonable shave, but why bother? A tub of RazoRock for about $10 is vastly superior. I couldn’t recommend it at a third of its price.

Steve
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

SteveK wrote:I purchased the new AoS Lavender sans tallow a while back (curiosity you know). While I never particularly cared for the clay undertones in the scent of the tallow version, it was an excellent soap. I hold no special reverence for tallow-based soaps (MdC is my personal favorite), I was therefore agnostic on the vegetable-based new version AoS. Sadly, while the scent is a pleasant if basic lavender (clay aroma is gone), the lather is fairly lacking. Use any soap/water ratio you wish, but the lather will be thin and collapse easily. It capable of giving a reasonable shave, but why bother? A tub of RazoRock for about $10 is vastly superior. I couldn’t recommend it at a third of its price.

Steve
Steve,
Your analysis and comments pretty much summarize the "consensus" that the new, non-tallow soap just isn't the same great performer, for whatever
reason, as its predecessor , making it difficult to justify the price.
I have several pucks of the former tallow version and am very happy I do; when they are finished, I will be sad as heck, but will feel lucky I had a chance
to use "one of the best!"
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Well, that's a shame. I wasn't considering them for myself but there are others who liked them.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

If you happen to find an AOS retail outlet in the nearby mall, those soaps can be found there, as someone said, for upwards of $30 or so. And as a shopping alternative, some malls are now occupied by L'Occitane, a fragrance/cosmetic firm in France. They also sell some very nice soaps, Cade (Juniper) fragranced, and the good news is that the Cade refills are more like $12 and it truly does lather quite well. In the past it didn't, so they fixed it. It's a veggie soap too. Lacking a brick and mortar store, L'Occitane has all their stuff on line at the same prices. Shipping isn't a deal killer, and under certain circumstances, it might be free shipping. Worth a look-see for sure, as an alternative to AOS.

There's another alternative, and it's not cheap, but it's good, both in fragrance, pedigree (if that's important), and in performance. Penhaligon's Sartorial soap (and Blenheim Bouquet, if it's the newest formulation) lather like a world champion, and it's the same price as AOS. I have it on my shelf right next to the Cade and my own home made Cedarwood soap. Use it every chance I get, and I do have backups.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Or just order something else.
Regards,
Squire
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I've got Harris samples en route and RazoRock in-house but am still looking for an unscented that can be used every day without olfactory overload. Artisan soaps can be ordered that way but I haven't found any that ring the bells, with the exception of Tim's and Dr. Chris' homebrews, so was checking back in with the major manufacturers. The RazoRock doesn't come unscented per se, but the scents are so low-keyed that it's the next best thing.
Ron
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Ron for me the Harris soaps such as almond or lavender are no so heavily scented as to be objectionable so let us know how the samples work out.
Regards,
Squire
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Will do, Squire. I'm trying Arlington and Marlborough first since they're a little outside the norm for me and was curious. I expect Arlington might go down well if it's not too toxic. :)
Ron
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Can't speak for the scent of the soap but Arlington aftershave is a relatively light, spicy, citrusy, scent that's very nice.
Regards,
Squire
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I've tried the Arlington, and it lathers just fine, but the scent is lingering far longer than I like and transitioning into the cloying stage. I imagine the Marlborough will be similar.

I hate this damn sensitivity issue. The search goes on for an unscented soap.
Ron