First AOS Product

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
jww
Woolly Bully

First AOS Product

Post by jww »

I stumbled upon an AOS store in Eastview Mall today in Victor NY (near Rochester) and having never tried their product decided to give one of their creams a go. Normally I don't buy tubs, but defer to tubes as they are much easier for traveling, however, the Ocean Kelp only comes in the large tub according to the associate. We spoke for a bit about what he called classic shaving, and it came out that I use vintage DE razors and shaving products. He was mesmerized by the notion asking whether I felt safe or not using a DE blade.

Looking forward to giving it a try in the morning.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: First AOS Product

Post by Squire »

May as well give it a shot Wendell, please give us a report.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Wendell, I didn't even know that they offered an 'ocean kelp' shave cream. So, I've no idea. In the past ( pre- P&G ownership days ) I found their more classically scented creams to be quite good but I never felt they were quite AS good as the creams that they were patterned after ( Trumper, Taylor, etc. ). The ignorance of the store clerk as to what 'classic shaving' really entails I've found to be typical. In all the years I've popped into their shops, starting from almost their very beginning in NYC, other that Eric Malka himself ( the founder and owner until a few years ago ) only once did I run into a clerk that was even vaguely knowledgeable....and she wasn't really, but she could listen and did seem interested and 'teachable'. Other than that it's always been total cluelessness. All they could do was repeat the sales pitch they'd been taught and if you moved beyond that, or challenged it, it was just a complete blank. Once in Nordstoms here I tried to explain to one of their regional store reps. that the mess on his neck was a result of using multi-blade cartridge razors and suggested he try a DE and he physically recoiled saying "...oh no!...I could never use one of those...don't know how....too dangerous!...". I tried to reassure him but to no avail. Here he was, an AoS regional rep, for God's sake, and he had this wretched shave, his neck all covered with razor bumps and what not. On one level it was funny, but on another it was really kind of sad.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That's because he already knew the answer Gordon and didn't want to be bothered with facts.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Well, I gave it a go this morning and can't say that I was overly impressed, but then, I wasn't entirely disappointed either. Bearing in mind I was in a hotel room with harder water than I am used to at home ... and which affects any shave I have away from home.

The scent is excellent. Not too strong and definitely not too light. It was refreshing to the nose. I found it to be in line with the Edwin Jagger line of creams which I have used in the past. Good consistency and quite easy to lather - it is a cream after all. I'll continue to use it for now. I may be tempted to try a tube of their lavender next time I am near a store or am ordering from a stockist.

Overall, for $25 I didn't think it was all bad. Just not the kind of top drawer quality one gets from DR Harris or TOBS.

Remember, I do prefer soaps over creams, so that will also have affected my perception.
Wendell

bflotom2

Post by bflotom2 »

Wendell: You were in the neighborhood and didn’t even stop for a “Blue” or a Canadian. I like the Eastview, it offers a better overall shopping experience then my local Galleria.
Regards,
Tom
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I have been going to the Rochester/Palmyra area at least once or twice a year since I was a tyke growing up in the Niagara Peninsula. Since moving away in our early married years to Ottawa, we continue to visit the area, and in the last 15 years or so have always tried to include a run to Eastview. It's been vastly improved over recent years for sure.
Wendell