Wool fat question

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Johnnyonion

Wool fat question

Post by Johnnyonion »

I've always used Prorasso and Taylor old bond and I recently purchased a couple pucks of wool fat. I'm having trouble getting a thick lather. And when I get what looks like a decent lather it loses it's form before I finish my first pass.
I'm not looking to get wool fat bashers involved, I genuinely would like help with this from those who use Wool Fat.
Thanks.
Blues ain't nothin but a party
Janus

Re: Wool fat question

Post by Janus »

Sounds like you're not using enough soap, could be as simple as that. I know some people say they only load their brush for a few seconds and get enough lather for a multi-pass shave but somehow I doubt it. I always take my time and load the brush well and thorough before I start lathering, no matter which soap I'm using. I've never timed myself doing this, but shaving is not something I do in a hurry anyway.
Janus
ghart

Post by ghart »

Janus wrote:Sounds like you're not using enough soap, could be as simple as that.
+1

George
brothers

Post by brothers »

Not many woolfat bashers in this neck of the woods. Janus has it right. Those of us who've been there and done that ourselves will say use enough product and treat MWF just like any other soap when making a lather. FYI, Mantic has a YouTube video that addresses lathering MWF if you are able to find it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

More soap should do the trick Johnny. For me MWF works the same as other soaps but I lather directly on the surface of soaps and only stop when the lather is correct.
Regards,
Squire
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

here is a fool proof way to lather any soap.

get your brush wet and the bristles soft. flick or lightly squeeze out the excess water. and wet the top of the puck. drain off excess water.

start to load the brush, when you feel the soap getting dry or hard re-wet the puck. and continue to load the brush. just keep doing this till the brush is loaded enough for your taste and needs.

I never count or time anything but, in general MWF takes me about 4 times of wetting the puck. Mystic Water takes me more than 4 times wetting the puck and Mikes natural soaps only maybe two times.

I have taught others to make lather this way and each time its been a win win.. also don't use the hottest water, just really warm is fine.

hope it helps you
marc
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

marsos52 wrote:here is a fool proof way to lather any soap.

get your brush wet and the bristles soft. flick or lightly squeeze out the excess water. and wet the top of the puck. drain off excess water.

start to load the brush, when you feel the soap getting dry or hard re-wet the puck. and continue to load the brush. just keep doing this till the brush is loaded enough for your taste and needs.

I never count or time anything but, in general MWF takes me about 4 times of wetting the puck. Mystic Water takes me more than 4 times wetting the puck and Mikes natural soaps only maybe two times.

I have taught others to make lather this way and each time its been a win win.. also don't use the hottest water, just really warm is fine.

hope it helps you
marc
Unless it's a synthetic. Which neither responds to wetting, and just makes a general mess if prewet. For a synthetic, either put water on the puck (no prewetting the brush) or very gently dip just the tips into a pool of water.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

Squire wrote:More soap should do the trick Johnny. For me MWF works the same as other soaps but I lather directly on the surface of soaps and only stop when the lather is correct.
Johnny...same here. With a little patience and practice the MWF will deliver dynamite lather.
Johnnyonion

Post by Johnnyonion »

Thanks for the help guys.
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

Folks have also recommended that warm - not hot - water be used for lathering MWF.
_______
John
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

We were traveling back today after being away for the weekend so I am only seeing this now ..... otherwise I would never had let it go so long before I too chimed in with my own thoughts.

Essentially, everything has been said that there is to be said, however, I would emphasize Squire's point. Not necessarily the lathering on the puck, although that is an excellent suggestion, but the point about treating The Fat just like any other soap. You see, the thing is, The Fat has quite sensitive feelings, and if you go making it seem like it's hard to get along with by trying every trick you can think of to coax a lather out of it, well, you will find it to not be very giving. On the other hand, if you treat it like any other soap you own, it will reward you with the friendship akin to a most companionable dog.

Of course to really make magic lather, you need the porcelain dish, but that's another topic altogether. ..... :wink:

Seriously, what other kind of response would you expect from the Resident Woolfat Evangelist?
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Johnnyonion

Post by Johnnyonion »

Well thanks for all the info. I am off to try it out right now.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Good point Wendell.

That's all I do. Nothing special. I load it enough to make a protolather and off I go. No big deal. Same as any other soap.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square