Vintage Penhaligon's Creams

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
churchilllafemme

Re: Vintage Penhaligon's Creams

Post by churchilllafemme »

bernards66 wrote:Well then, it should pose no problem. My repeated attempts to reconstitute some of those pots of Coate's that I had just never seemed to work out entirely satisfactorily. Perhaps I just wasn't careful or patient enough, or just don't have the 'knack', or am too picky...or something. But I'm glad you'll be able to fully enjoy these two.
Regards,
Gordon
Reconstitution may work better for some creams than others. I have never tried it with Coates, only with the Penhaligon's Lords.
_______
John
churchilllafemme

When I started to reconstitute the EF cream today, I was surprised and pleased to discover that the dehydrated part was just the top sixteenth-inch 'skin.' It just required a teaspoon of distilled water to return that top thin layer to the same normal consistency as the underlying cream. And wow, a slight stir of the cream released a lot of wonderful scent.
_______
John
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

John, Yeah, I remember it as smelling great. Glad your specimen is in such relatively good shape. There, isn't that better than sticking it away is some dusty drawer somewhere? Enjoy!
Regards,
Gordon
churchilllafemme

I used the English Fern this morning for the first time, and I think the cream is as good as any modern cream I've ever used. In addition to the wonderful scent, it easily produced thick, slick lather.
Life can be really good....
_______
John
brothers

Post by brothers »

Now you know you did the right thing in obtaining these rare creams. Enjoy them to the maximum, John.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444