Soap Commander - Respect: Thoughts while lathering

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
SharpSpine

Soap Commander - Respect: Thoughts while lathering

Post by SharpSpine »

Soap Commander - Respect; Face Lather after dry loading via the Plisson Cade Synthetic.

http://youtu.be/cO3PQ72cXsY
> Brian < Shave On & God Bless!!

Mongoose B1 + Hempel Spiral; Feather Pro
marsos52

Re: Soap Commander - Respect: Thoughts while lathering

Post by marsos52 »

I have no idea how good the soap commander products are.
but, the time it took him to create a lather, I could have prepped, made lather and do a full 3 pass shave..

I know its not a race. but still..
Marc
brothers

Post by brothers »

I just timed it. Brian (SharpSpine) loaded the brush for 57 seconds. Then, after loading, from the time the brush hit his face until he finished building the demonstration lather, it took 2 minutes and 22 seconds. Total elapsed time: 3 minutes and 19 seconds. :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
SharpSpine

Post by SharpSpine »

Wow, I really loaded for almost a full minute? I guess time doesn't matter so much when you are enjoying the process. I'm sorry marc if my video wasted any of your time. My shaving routine has changed from one that I do as quickly and infrequently as possible to now where I can enjoy it for as long as I want each and every day.

Oh yeah, I also have rock hard water which makes my lather, especially an UltraLather, take a good bit longer than many of y'all probably take.

marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

Brian, by no means what so ever did you waste my time. I to love shaving and I never rush my prep or anything that is part of the shaving process.
I remember as teen when my beard was just starting to develop I wanted to shave and my father told me to wait as long as I could. He told me I will hate shaving.
He was so wrong, I have loved it from my first shave till now. 50 years of shaving.

I feel your pain with hard water. I live in the south of New Jersey and our water is loaded with iron. I don't know water to be any other way other then hard.
I watched your video, and I just thought it took you a long time to make your lather to the quality you like. Not that is a right or a wrong, just my thought.

With my heavy full beard I to want my lather to be thick and protective, Honestly, to me, Your using hardly any water, only enough to get the soap from the puck to the brush.
this is wet shaving, water is important part of the equation. Water is what brings the soap to lather. I think if you have your brush just a little bit wetter your lather would develop
sooner and still be as thick as you are getting it in your video.

Just my thoughts and I thank you for sharing.
Marc
SharpSpine

Post by SharpSpine »

Marc,
First, thanks for the reply. Next, I build my lather with as little water as possible for several reasons. While this is called wet-shaving, I don't find water to be that important. If water was the most important factor in lather then why don't we shave with water only? To me, soap is the most important component of lather and it is this component that I am paying for. So I make a lather which is focused on soap solids which Brian Krampert & I call an UltraLather. It has just enough water to be super slick but not enough to cause the lather explosion. Too much water too quickly brings in tons of air. An aerated lather cannot become an UltraLather without a lot of effort and a ton of wasted soap. I probably have more water in my final lather than you think, I just go about it a bit differently. This extra time of brush on face is my most enjoyable aspect of wet-shaving and it acts as my preshave preparation.

I hope this explains the method to my madness a bit more and gives you a better understanding as to what I'm after and why.

Have a great day!
Last edited by SharpSpine on Sun May 18, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brothers

Post by brothers »

Too much water, too early, leads to aerated soap mix. This makes a lot of sense to me. Lately I've been a bit too generous with the water when my dry brush hits the soap. I think I should consciously try to hold back a bit and be more stingy with the water. Thanks for reminding me of this, as I'd forgotten it since I originally read this in your "ultralather" posts a while back.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444