difference in Trumpers latherability

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
zebo

difference in Trumpers latherability

Post by zebo »

Trumpers: there seems to be a huge difference in how sandalwood lathers compares to violet. With the violet, I get a beautiful, thick cream where I can take care of three or four passes all from one brushful. Whereas the sandalwood doesn't have the same body at all--it seems to thin out and disappear pretty quickly. I love the smell of the sandalwood, but need more body!

Comments? Another maker of a sandalwood that does better than Trumpers does? I had thought that the only difference between different types of cream (Trumpers) was the scent, but it seems like there are other differences as well.

Man, every day is different.....what a kick!
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

Give Taylor's Sandalwood a try. I love it.
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Dudes...I hate to admit it but Art of Shaving Sandalwood in the jar kicks ass. It smells exactly like the Trumpers and produces an amazing lather.

Might be a good alternative to the Trumpers (which I also love).

Vince
:::Vince:::
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Zebo, Well, there it is, that fact that many of us have discovered; namely that although one would assume that the top shelf classic English shave creams would be pretty much the same in how they performed, that is not the case. As you've found with the Trumpers, even different creams from the same firm vary in their properties, and how they react with different men's skins, different water, etc. One gent posted on another forum recently, that he was very disappointed with the Trumper's Lime cream that he'd gotten, wasn't working well at all, he said. Yet some of us love the stuff. Trumper's Almond cream always gives me skin problems, but some of their other creams do not, nor does Coate's Almond. FWIW, Trumper's Violet seems to lather unusually well, and easily, for me also, as compared with some of their other offerings. Taylor's Sandalwood has always lather extremly well for me, and for most other members, but it's a rather different scent. It's their Sandalwood cologne fragrance, not fairly straight sandalwood like Trumpers or Coate's. Many find Coate's creams a little difficult to properly lather up ( although they're very high quality, and good creams ). AOS sandalwood I've not tried, although Vince seems enthusiastic, and he's used plenty of top creams, so that might be worth a try. You also might try varying the cream to water ratio with the Trumpers, and see if you can coax it along. I know of a few experianced shavers who say that it's their all time favourite shave cream, so there must be a way to get it to perform well. Good luck, and keep us informed. Regards, Gordon
zebo

Post by zebo »

Thanks for the tips. I think part of what I'm loving about all this is how many variables there are, and how things can differ from one day to the next. Next thing you know, someone will come up with "lather as a form of divination."

My first day with the Trumper's sandalwood was also my first day with my first real brush, the Savile Row 230. It gobbled up so much water I then ended up having too much water and so mixed the sandalwood in a really runny way. The next day I got a good lather, though it didn't seem to have the same creamy quality as the violet, though was very nice.

Living, learning, loving lathering.........!

PS-Just tried Tom's of Maine mint.....not that bad, for $4!
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, I'm sure that the factors you mentioned do come into play, to some extent, but I think that the differently scented creams do vary a little ( okay, I know, Zebo's main problem was adjusting to a brand new brush, as it turned out ). Quite a few experianced shavers have commented on this, and, FWIW, Trumper and Coate's anyway, suggest different of their creams for different types of skin. Trumper's creams, in the tubes, are especially useful in looking at this issue. I think that Trumpers are unusually consistant in the texture and 'weight' of their shaving cream, and with the tubes, it's easier to measure out fairly equal amounts of the various offerings, say 3/4 of an inch. To me, I do believe I notice perceivable differences in how they lather up in the bowl. I'm positive that they affect my skin differntly. I've had similiar experiances with the Coate's. I know that it doesn't seem as though there should be any difference, but I think that there is. Regards, Gordon