Tried a New Soap-Maggard Limes & Bergamot

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Bob in TX

Tried a New Soap-Maggard Limes & Bergamot

Post by Bob in TX »

I just used the new Maggard Limes & Bergamot soap. It is soft “croap”. You get 5 oz. in an 8 oz. jar for $12.95. You can lather right from the large jar. After about 10-15 seconds of swirling with my oscar11 2-band finest brush, it produced a quick easy, thick lather with excellent glide and cushioning. I had more than enough lather for a 3-pass shave. I got a great smooth, close, and nick free shave. I really like this new soap. The scent is also one of the nicest that I have used so far. You get mostly the lime when you open the jar, but once you start swirling the brush the bergamot kicks in with some spiciness. This is a great scent combination. I am looking forward to the next shave.

Ingredients: Stearic Acid, Coconut Oil, Water, Lye, Glycerin, Essential Oils.

Last edited by Bob in TX on Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob in TX

Re: Tried a New Soap-Maggard Limes & Bergamot

Post by Bob in TX »

I used the new Maggard Limes & Bergamot soap for the second time this morning. I loaded my brush for about 20 seconds and got another quick, easy, thick lather with excellent glide and cushioning. I had more than enough lather for a 3-pass shave. I got a great smooth, close, and nick free shave. I really like this new soap. Again, the scent is one of the nicest I have come across. If the Maggard Soaps are around and survive in the market with all the excellent new soaps, not to mention the ol’ tried and true soaps, this one will be a regular for me. It is simple and straight forward. I am impressed.

Bob in TX

Post by Bob in TX »

I wanted to use the Maggard Limes & Bergamot again. This was my 3rd shave with it. I paired it with the Plisson Grey Badger, Fat Handle Tech, and 7 O’Clock Black SP. I had a GREAT shave today! This Maggard soap is a winner! It will stay in the Den as I start to pair down the number of soaps.

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Glad you like it Bob, that is an intriguing combination of scents.
Regards,
Squire
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

Following your positive review of the limes and bergamot, I bought a tub of the orange menthol. First of all Maggard''s service was excellent, I had the tub in my hand a couple of days after placing the order. The soap is medium hard and lathers up to give a very rich, cushiony lather. The oversize tub works well. The scent is dominated by the orange component but the menthol makes its presence noticed. This is about the same menthol level as Proraso - noticable but it's no osage rub level. Overall, I would rate the lathering an easy 9/10, scent 9/10, Maggard's service 10. This pairs nicely with Lucky Tiger balm.
Rick
Bob in TX

Post by Bob in TX »

I agree across the board Rick. It has become one of my Top 5. FYI-There will be more scents forthcoming.

brothers

Post by brothers »

Bob, thanks for familiarizing us here at SMF with this obviously excellent product. I checked the site and see a Lilac scented version. Lilacs have always been my favorite floral fragrance, right next to the Tropicana Rose, which is a fragrance that nobody has yet succeeded in duplicating. Lilac, I know, is also very difficult to duplicate in a fragrance. Perhaps I will get a sample of the soap from Maggards to try before buying.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Bob in TX

Post by Bob in TX »

Gary-I will look forward to hearing your impression of the Lilac.

Maggard has just added two more scents: Fougère Sauvage and Mango Sage. I just ordered the FS along with a sample of Fine American Blend AS.
Fougère Sauvage is fragranced with 100% essential oils. A clean woodsy scent – fern, balsam tolu, and clary sage for its musky, bitter floral notes. Fougère Sauvage is both complex and refined and we are very excited to introduce it to the market. We think we’ve got a big hit with this one!
Mango Sage Tea is fragranced with a blend of fragrance oils that smells absolutely wonderful. A fruity, sweet, fresh scent with some complex undertones that can be enjoyed by women and men alike.
Bob in TX

Post by Bob in TX »

I received my Fougere Sauvage yesterday and shaved with it today. As expected, it produced more than enough great thick, cushioning lather for a 3+ pass shave after loading my brush for about 15 seconds. The scent is nice, but much more subdued than the Limes & Bergamot. These are great soaps!

Andy6228

Post by Andy6228 »

Great soaps. Great customer service. And they have samples!
Bob in TX

Post by Bob in TX »

I used the new Maggard London Barbershop soap today. It is their first tallow soap in the line. I loaded my brush for 20 seconds and had more than enough excellent thick, slick, cushioning lather for a 3+ pass shave. I just worked the lather for about 30 seconds on my face for each pass. It has a great “Barbershop” scent. For me it is a coin toss so far between the Maggard Vegan and Maggard Tallow. The vegan Maggard Limes & Bergamot is now one of my “Top 5” soaps. I look forward to more shaves with the new tallow London Barbershop.

Stearic Acid, Coconut Oil, Tallow, Water, Lye, Glycerin, Fragrance

mlb549

Post by mlb549 »

I have all of the Maggards soaps, they are only surpassed by their service!!
Mike