Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill shaving soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
JayDee

Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill shaving soap

Post by JayDee »

I purchased two of Rod's newest soap creation and after enjoying a wonderful test lather with it yesterday evening, I had a most delightful shave with it this morning.

Ease of lathering: 9/10--Very easy to lather. Thirsty, but the water/soap ratio is easy to figure out.

Longevity of lather: 9/10--No problem that way either - it's very stable and holds up really well.

General skincare: 10/10--Man, is this stuff cold. The menthol pulverizes your face right away. Soothes well.

Scent: 10/10--The perfect balance of menthol and lemon. Very refreshing and invigorating. I love it.

Price: 9/10--7,00$ is not expensive at all. Rod's very price-wise.

Would I buy again: 10/10--You better believe it!

After a long and difficult effort, Rod who owns the Stirling Soap Company with his wife Mandy came up with a line of super-mentholated soaps which are the COLDEST known to mankind. The original Glacial was tough to lather, but Rod figured out the problem fast. These Glacial soaps need a good deal longer to ferment or "cure" in order to get the optimal lather performance. This Glacial line comes in three wonderful scents - Wintergreen, Spearmint, and now Lemon Chill. This Lemon Chill is an absolute MUST if you're a menthol addict like I am. You'll get rich, slick, stable lather with a freezing effect which blows every other menthol soap or cream out of the water. The scent is awesome and really wakes you up in the morning, and the post-shave feeling is smooth, soothed, well-protected against dryness and irritation as well as a great chilly sensation which lasts for quite awhile. Definitely a soap which I intend to keep in my rotation.
brothers

Re: Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill shaving soap

Post by brothers »

Jeff, I've browsed his store. He's a prolific artisan. I really like his product descriptions. A good while back I had a puck of one of his early production soaps, and now you've got me curious about the fragrance and performance of his most recent soap creations.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I am guessing these are cold-pour soaps?
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
JayDee

Post by JayDee »

jww wrote:I am guessing these are cold-pour soaps?
No, it's in puck form.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes Wendell I believe they are as the owners mention on their web site experimenting with pouring methods while developing their products.

Jay to the best of my knowledge all the artisan soap makers use what we call the cold pour method to mold their shaving soaps into pucks. Of course that's a bit misleading because heat is involved in the process and cold pour is just a way of distinguishing the product from triple milled hard soaps which are far more labor intensive and expensive to produce.
Regards,
Squire
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

First ingredient is beef tallow.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

First step is in the right direction.
Regards,
Squire
JayDee

Post by JayDee »

Squire wrote:Yes Wendell I believe they are as the owners mention on their web site experimenting with pouring methods while developing their products.

Jay to the best of my knowledge all the artisan soap makers use what we call the cold pour method to mold their shaving soaps into pucks. Of course that's a bit misleading because heat is involved in the process and cold pour is just a way of distinguishing the product from triple milled hard soaps which are far more labor intensive and expensive to produce.
Thanks for the info! :)