Top Secret shave cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
TommyDawg

Top Secret shave cream

Post by TommyDawg »

I did a search on SMF and found hardly any references to Top Secret "Lanolizado" shave cream, from Portugal. I ordered some recently and have been using it frequently in my rotation. What a nice cream! Its made with Lanolin, so it leaves my face very soft, clean and moisturized. Lather easily into a dense smooth cream with plenty of slickness and cushion. To me, the scent is that of bath/ bar soap of years back... like a palmolive. A fresh clean scent that is not overwhelming but has a subtle staying power. Its made by Confianca, who also makes Velerio (also on my list but I haven't purchased yet). I'd be interested in other comments if you have tried this hidden gem.
Tom
kronos9

Re: Top Secret shave cream

Post by kronos9 »

Tom, I bought a tube a year or two ago and it had been sitting on the shelf after only one unremarkable shave. Encouraged by your post, I retrieved the tube and prepared for a review-worthy shave. Not good results.

The tube had hardened. After some coaxing, I managed to squeeze out what I hoped/thought was the solid plug. The plug was only followed with more semi-solidified mush. Half cream, half solid. Seemingly partially crystallized. Crunchy. Totally unusable.

Threw it out ($9.50) and lathered up with Speick. I'd suggest using Lanolizado and not storing it.
Last edited by kronos9 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed
TommyDawg

Post by TommyDawg »

Geez, Ed... That stinks. At least you cleared a spot in your shave cabinet! :)
lanolite

Post by lanolite »

I'm having a similar issue with a tube of "O Melhor" cream, another Confianca product. In fairness, it is over two years old. It's at the point where it's becoming unusable, though, kind of like D.R. Harris creams used to get.

A tube of Veleiro of about the same age is okay so far, as is a tube of what appears to be Confianca's budget brand, Via Activ (or something like that, I can't find it right now).

They all perform about the same: very well. The O Melhor and Veleiro are a little too strongly scented for me, though, which is why they've been sitting around. The El Cheapo cream is actually the one I like best.

Edit: It is "Via Men" and costs about a tenth as much as O Melhor.

http://www.theportugalonlineshop.com/he ... ream-100ml
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

TommyDawg wrote:... "Lanolizado" shave cream, from Portugal ... made with Lanolin, so it leaves my face very soft, clean and moisturized ...
Shades of Woolfat in a cream, perhaps? I'm just saying ..... \:D/
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Not a bad idea.
Regards,
Squire
TommyDawg

Post by TommyDawg »

Wendell, I thought the same thing and figured I'd get a reaction from you. This week I tried the top secret and the fat on back to back days. I'm not saying its as good overall by any means. But in the lanolin-face-softness test, it was a nice competitor!
Tom
rbaloha

Post by rbaloha »

Try refrigerating the cream when not using.
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

rbaloha wrote:Try refrigerating the cream when not using.
That might work but I'm not keen on increased maintenance. In fact, I'm moving more toward hard soaps, DRH in particular.
Ed