J Peterman 1903 cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
pausted

J Peterman 1903 cream

Post by pausted »

On July 22nd I posted that I wanted to use up my existing stock of soaps and creams before buying anything new. Well, eight days later AD kicked in and I bought some Peterman 1903. So much for my good intentions.

I have never used the Peterman cream but I have been interested for some time about it . In looking at earlier posts here it seems that there have been different iterations of the cream. Their website now says that it is made in the USA. Having never tried it I have no frame of reference. I hope that the scent is still nice and strong. We'll see.

FYI they are having a July sale...30% off and free shipping. I bought the cream for under $20 shipped. The sale ends Thursday so if you are interested, better hurry. Another thing...I tried to buy it online but never could get the system to give me free shipping. The discount was applied but there was no way to select free shipping. I finally called customer service and the nice lady took care of the order for me. Just a heads up.

I'm looking forward to trying the Peterman cream. Now it remains to be seen if I can resist buying anything else new. :D
Best regards,

Basil
L. Martino
Voted (fill in blank) member of SMF...

Re: J Peterman 1903 cream

Post by L. Martino »

Hiya,

This is a real nice US made cream. Very good performance with a classy scent. Been using this for years and is one of the few creams in my rotation. Heh, I already picked up a bit extra for the arsenal. It's a large 7 ounce tub and full retail ($28) still isn't outta line but at the sale price it's crazy not to order some.

There's a cologne with the same '1903' scent.
pausted

Post by pausted »

The FedEx guy came early enough this morning that I got to use the 1903 cream for my Saturday shave. Peterman says that it is a concentrated cream. It sure is! I would almost call it a croap. I didn't even try to scoop it on to the brush. Instead, I swirled the Semogue on top of the cream for no more than 10 or 12 seconds and it lathered up beautifully. I had plenty of lather for 2 passes (my regular shave) and could easily have done a third pass.

This is a strongly scented cream...almost cologne like. I smell spice, light smoke, but I don't get an easily identifiable floral scent. Hard to describe but quite strong. I think I'm gonna like it. Performance is great and that's the main thing.
Best regards,

Basil
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Well?

Chris
pausted

Post by pausted »

Chris, what else do you want me to say? :)
Best regards,

Basil
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Basil, just looking for impressions after some time of use. Is it the same as your last tub? Any difference in scent?

Chris
pausted

Post by pausted »

Chris, I had my 3rd shave this morning with the 1903 cream. I can't compare it to previous jars since this is my first time using this cream. I do like the strong scent, but again, can't compare to previous style of the product. Today I used a synthetic brush, swirled on the cream for 15 seconds and lathered in a bowl. Plenty of creamy lather for three passes although I did only two (my normal shave). This cream performs quite well. Its a keeper.
Best regards,

Basil
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Basil, thanks. Sounds like it's a good stable product.

My iteration is older and must be 7-8 years old. At the time it struck me as being the same in performance and texture as the old pre-reformualtion Taylor's creams. It was/is dense, denser than say Trumpers and close to the D.R. Harris of the time. I'm guessing it's like most creams and firms up a bit before being sold so it's probably the same as it ever was.

Good news.

Chris
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

pausted wrote:Chris, I had my 3rd shave this morning with the 1903 cream. I can't compare it to previous jars since this is my first time using this cream. I do like the strong scent, but again, can't compare to previous style of the product. Today I used a synthetic brush, swirled on the cream for 15 seconds and lathered in a bowl. Plenty of creamy lather for three passes although I did only two (my normal shave). This cream performs quite well. Its a keeper.
Yay! I was a huge fan of 1903 a few years ago until I got a tub that had very little scent. I emailed them asking if they changed the formulation and never got a reply. That was enough for me to drop them. I just might cross my fingers and give 1903 another try....
pausted

Post by pausted »

If I have my facts straight, this is a different cream than in years past. This iteration is made in the USA. By whom, I don't know. One interesting thing I have found is that this morning I again swirled on the cream for 15 seconds and then added some water and built lather in a bowl. Wow! The lather exploded and provided enough to shave a couple of people! I think that for the first three shaves I was working my way through the hard layer at the top of the pot. Now I've gotten down into softer consistency and in 15 seconds I loaded a lot more product on the brush. From now on I'll load for a shorter time and see what happens. The cream provided another good shave.
Best regards,

Basil
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

mantic wrote:
pausted wrote:Chris, I had my 3rd shave this morning with the 1903 cream. I can't compare it to previous jars since this is my first time using this cream. I do like the strong scent, but again, can't compare to previous style of the product. Today I used a synthetic brush, swirled on the cream for 15 seconds and lathered in a bowl. Plenty of creamy lather for three passes although I did only two (my normal shave). This cream performs quite well. Its a keeper.
Yay! I was a huge fan of 1903 a few years ago until I got a tub that had very little scent. I emailed them asking if they changed the formulation and never got a reply. That was enough for me to drop them. I just might cross my fingers and give 1903 another try....
Mantic,

I've followed some of your posts on this cream. My iteration came after yours with the "little scent". I am hopeful that your sub par pot was just a one-off.

Hope you get what you want.

Chris
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

EL Alamein wrote:Hope you get what you want.

Chris
Me too. I guess I can always PIF it away if I don't like it. 8)
L. Martino
Voted (fill in blank) member of SMF...

Post by L. Martino »

mantic wrote:
EL Alamein wrote:Hope you get what you want.

Chris
Me too. I guess I can always PIF it away if I don't like it. 8)
This has been in the rotation for at least five years and I'm pretty sure the scent has been fairly consistent. I think you just got a rogue tub and will enjoy what you receive.

I've talked to people there about ordering and they were real helpful and friendly.

Martin
pausted

Post by pausted »

I have been using the cream again for the past few days. This is the tub that I bought in July 2014. The scent remains strong and the performance is still excellent. After over a year in the cabinet, the consistency remains the same. Good stuff!
Best regards,

Basil