I had a dream/vision

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

I had a dream/vision

Post by brothers »

As someone once said, old men dream dreams, and young men have visions. Whatever it was, it woke me up and made me think. It's a basket in which there are a number of little round objects about the size of baseballs, but they were actually plain white styrofoam balls and completely without value or meaningful substance.

I wondered what these objects might represent and then it became clear this is nothing more or less than all of my stash or treasure trove of shaving creams and soaps. In perspective, I think of Solomon who had 700 wives and 300 concubines. I'm not a wise or wealthy guy like old King Solomon. I'm just a guy and I only need one good woman. Obviously I don't need any more than one good soap or cream to shave with.

I ask myself how can I justify having what I have and threatening to get more (Penhaligons Bayolea). Maybe there is no justification? Or maybe it's a wise precaution against the dreaded shavepocalypse. Maybe my current snail-slow practice of using them all up, one at a time, is a good practical approach.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Araner

Re: I had a dream/vision

Post by Araner »

I've gotten things down to one wife and one shaving soap. Having two wives was getting to be a real bear to handle.

Regards,
Mike
Ken

Post by Ken »

It is believed that Solomon had more than 1000 razors, mostly DEs.

Ken
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I would find 1 wife and 300 concubines to be about right if I could fit them in my shave cabinet. If not, the wife could go.

I like variety in my shave.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

You guys are great. :D I'm getting the Bayolea when it goes up for sale in NA as I continue the process of reducing the stock by using and selling off the stuff I find I don't use.

A bit of clear thinking indicates this variety we all prefer is just as available when one runs out and another one is selected to replace it. We aren't required to buy a lifetime supply and then hoard it. Even though it must have been my foolish strategy in the past.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I limit myself to one wife at a time. it's an absolute rule.
Regards,
Squire
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

Luxury Minimalism has always been my goal.
Mike