L'Occitane Rich Shaving Cream (new)

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Brutus

L'Occitane Rich Shaving Cream (new)

Post by Brutus »

Here's something that you don't often see mentioned in this spot: L'Occitane Cade Rich Shaving Cream

I had always thought that L'Occitane Cade shaving cream in the tube - unlike the Cade shaving soap - was one of the best hated products in the market.
In simplest terms: useless

Today, I picked up a 7 oz/200g jar of L'Occitane Cade Rich {my emphasis} Shaving Cream.
The cream is pearly white, has the rich consistency of crème fraiche, lathered very well with the right amount of lubrication and once the brush was loaded it gave me three comfortable passes.
The jar costs more than the the old cream in the tube, but as the jar is bigger the price per oz is actually cheaper.

Good performance, pleasant scent - even though I am not a regular Cade user, I quite liked it.

I don't think of this cream as an improved Cade cream, I rather think of it as an entirely new Cade product.

Even more so, as it appears that at least for the time being L'Occitane continues to offer in parallel the old, poorly performing shaving cream in the tube, so if you want to try the new cream you need to look for Cade Rich Shaving Cream in the 200 g jar and stay away from the old product in the tube.

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: L'Occitane Rich Shaving Cream (new)

Post by jww »

I have always been warned off by what I consider to be an exorbitant price even though many give it good reviews.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
John N.

Post by John N. »

The L'Occitane shave cream in a tube was reformulated over a year ago and is now a very fine product in every way.
J.
John N.
brothers

Post by brothers »

My experience with the freshly formulated cream in the tubes is good. I had no problem with it. (The Cade soap at a mere $12 is a very good value on a very good soap.)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

John N. wrote:The L'Occitane shave cream in a tube was reformulated over a year ago and is now a very fine product in every way.
J.
At the prices that L'Occitane charges and after past experience, L'Occitane would have to provide me with a generous sample first, before I part with my money.

Will check next time when passing by the store, but as I said, I am not a regular L'Occitane user.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
zeppelin55

Post by zeppelin55 »

They let me test lather in the store using the plisson synthetic brush. Quite impressed with the performance.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

John N. wrote:The L'Occitane shave cream in a tube was reformulated over a year ago and is now a very fine product in every way.
J.
Earlier this year I bought a tube and it proved to be no better than the cream I had purchased 3 years ago. Perhaps the tube I purchased this year was old stock, but it will be a cold day in hell before I try their cream again; there are just too many high quality shaving creams available at good prices to waste my time and money on L'Occitane hoping to be third time lucky.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

Bryan you're exactly right. Too many excellent products to choose from, no point in wasting time and money on questionable stuff. At least they got the shaving soap right, and at $12 it might be the cheapest product they sell.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

J.

Thanks, John.
Emboldened by my positive experience with the rich shaving cream I went and tried the reformulated shaving cream from the tube.

It has indeed morphed into very fine product and I am pleased that after all these years of pushing a truly inferior shaving cream, the woman from Occitania finally got her act together. ("L'Occitane" means the woman from Occitania.)
You still have to spend a pretty penny to take her out, but at least you can now have a good time, although I doubt very much that at the going rate L'Occitane will ever become my favourite.

You see; after getting to know the equally attractive progeny of Signor Valobra, Mr. Taylor and D.R. Harris, you'll find that you can have a great time without spending a lot of money. :wink:
(Just don't mention the name Williams again, sure you can take her out for a less than a Dollar, but where is the good time???)

B.

Bertrand Russell
brothers

Post by brothers »

One thing for sere, she'll never be mistaken for a Lush.
Gary

John N.

Post by John N. »

The reformulated cream can be identified by the product number on the end of the box it comes in. For the good stuff, that number should be 164853. The number can be found just to the right of the bar code.
J.
John N.
John N.

Post by John N. »

To keep the price in perspective, Cade cream is $28.00 for 5.2oz (147.4 grams). Tabula Rasa runs $31.50 for 90 grams, D.R. Harris is $30.00 for 150 grams, AOS is $25.00 for 5oz tub and Pens. runs $40.00 for 5oz tube.
J.
John N.