Email from D.R. Harris re: new sandalwood soap and cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
a-cut-above

Email from D.R. Harris re: new sandalwood soap and cream

Post by a-cut-above »

Actually, they announced a new "sandalwood line" that includes shave soap and cream, bath soap, and AS milk. Does anyone know any more about this? The obvious question, is the soap tallow based?
http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=061 ... aceca6a68d
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
Steve

Re: Email from D.R. Harris re: new sandalwood soap and cream

Post by Steve »

I don't see it for sale anywhere. I am very interested in this product. If you find it for sale in the USA, let us know.

Steve
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

Was going to make the comment that getting it from Harris, excluding VAT, would be 17.92 GBP plus shipping, with the view that the pound was down against the dollar right now. But discovered that shipping to the U.S. would be 20 GBP! So I guess buying direct wouldn't be terribly cost effective.
John
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

I emailed Charles from QEDUSA. He plans to stock it but no time until it arrives mentioned.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

The fact he will eventuality stock it is encouraging.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

In due time it'll be everywhere.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I can also buy them here without paying shipping.
Regards,
Squire
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Harris in sandalwood...once my holy grail notion of a shave soap. In fact, I may even buy a commercial soap when this is available, something I've not done in nearly two years. I primarily use homemade, but I still find Palmolive, Harris, and the old tallowate AOS different to my own efforts and quite delightful. Haven't used any of the three in over a year, but I still like the notion of having commercial options available, even if I never need them.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
IanM

Post by IanM »

Hi Everybody.

I know, I know, I've not posted here for a VERY long time, but I spend most of my shaving forum time at The Shaving Room over here in the UK.

Saw this thread and thought I'd post.

After replying to an email from DR Harris, I was lucky enough to receive a sample of their Sandalwood shaving soap. I've used it 4 times and very nice it is too.

It's a complex scent, and my nose has trouble picking out sandalwood, but it's a warm, spicy scent and not at all stuffy or powdery, which I think is down to the eucalyptus and camphor. Post shave is good too. After 3 of the shaves with it I didn't apply any aftershave products, just rinsed and away!

Ian
Those who design "Fool Proof" systems often underestimate the ability of fools.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Thanks for the note Ian, and do drop by more often.
Regards,
Squire
tester

Post by tester »

Didn't Harris make Green Pond Sandalwood shave cream? That was AMAZING stuff!!! I think it was discontinued about 4 years ago.

If its the same shave cream, count me in! =D>
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

tester wrote:Didn't Harris make Green Pond Sandalwood shave cream? That was AMAZING stuff!!! I think it was discontinued about 4 years ago.

They did as far as I know since I did get a couple of tubs way back.
One of the better Sandalwood scents in my opinion, and excellent lather as well.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes, Harris was the source for Green Pond.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

It's starting to look like DRH has another winner. .
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

I am somewhat surprised that the Sandalwood option is all that new. It seems to me that I have been seeing it as both hard soap and cream on Connaught's site for some time. I once used the "Green Pond" Sandalwood cream and wonder what the difference would be in it and the D.R. Harris branded cream?

http://www.connaughtshaving.com/harrissc.html

Ciao,
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Green pond went out of business about 2 or 3 years ago, and Paul just added the new DRH Sandalwood line about 2 weeks ago. Paul sent me a PM when he had it in stock and that's when I placed my order. :D It's good stuff for us traditional classic guys!
Gary

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Evening gents. I discovered this new D R Harris's scent in their ( temporary they say ) London digs this past month. Not having checked in here in awhile I was not aware that there was any such thing until I spied it on their counter. I only sniffed the cologne but be aware, this is NOT like their prior Sandalwood A/S scent. It is soft and rather mild I thought; not nearly as much punch as say their Marlborough Cologne. Therefore I would assume that the shave cream does not have the same kind of offactory punch as the old Greenpond shave cream did. As a side note; the visit to their shop confirmed my sense that they seem to be lowering the scent volume in some of their shave products. The Almond hard soap that I checked out there was like the last on that I got from a US vendor, which is to say that it had almost no scent. The Lavender did, which I bought, but it is clearly not AS fragrant as they used to be.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Gordon that may actually work better for me. Even though I find the older version delightful it is potent stuff so more subdued sound attractive.
Regards,
Squire
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

Nitrox wrote:
tester wrote:Didn't Harris make Green Pond Sandalwood shave cream? That was AMAZING stuff!!! I think it was discontinued about 4 years ago.

They did as far as I know since I did get a couple of tubs way back.
One of the better Sandalwood scents in my opinion, and excellent lather as well.
Here is a photo of the bottom of a Green Pond Sandalwood Shave Cream tub. It was made by D.R. Harris:
Attachments
Green PondD.R. Harris tub.jpg
Green PondD.R. Harris tub.jpg (35.41 KiB) Viewed 4585 times
Dave