Just when you think you've got it figured out ---

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Just when you think you've got it figured out ---

Post by brothers »

BAM!!! --- Knocked me right off my feet. :shock: I had this cozy little plan: narrow my soaps/creams down to a small handful. Ignore the rest. Start using them up over the next several years. Get all comfortable and smug. Yeah, right! :D One minute I'm looking forward to the next 90 days hammering along with a tub of MdC soap (a very fine soap). Suddenly I find I've been totally blindsided from out of nowhere. A couple of weeks ago I looked into a box of my son's castoff soaps and creams that he never uses and I idly picked up one of the first soaps I ever tossed out: Cella. The smell of it made me gag involuntarily. It was physically repulsive. His old tub of Cella had turned a nasty looking grungy brownish yellow. I took a whiff --- huh? Took another whiff --- mmmm! Again --- WHAT??? It smells heavenly!!! I guess my sense of scents has undergone a dramatic 180. This is not my plan, so how can it be happening! If I had a bathtub full of it, I'd jump in. Intoxicating. . . lathers like a dream. . . on par with the best in the world. . . No, forget that. . . Cella is one of the best in the world, and I'm wildly infatuated with it. My wagon full of carefully formulated plans is once again turned upside down. What can I say (shrug)? (Take a look at my post in the Acquisitions forum and check out what came in today's mail.) :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Brutus

Re: Just when you think you've got it figured out ---

Post by Brutus »

Funny that you should mention Cella.
Just bought a small red tub last night.

While I have used the 1 kg block of Cella as a low-cost alternative to Valobra before, I was never really thrilled by this particular almond scent.

The scent reminded me too much of the hand soap that we used to wash the grease and grime off our hands when we did the required one-year practical work course before enrolling in areonautical engineering in the early 70's.
As a future slide-rule acrobats, us lowly student-apprentices were the butts of many practical jokes by the old hands, and the Cella scent always brought back memories of the days when I was made to do stuff I could understand and maybe even design, but not necessarily build with my own hands.
I guess the basic idea was to keep future engineers humble...

I had tried Cella in the red tub before, but always liked the big block better.

Having to do some business with Boeing here in Seattle, I walked into my favourite Seattle supermarket and found this small tub of Cella.
I sniffed the contents, did not feel the old aversion any longer, bought it, shaved with it, and quite like it now.

If old memories die hard, I must be getting old now.... :wink:

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
brothers

Post by brothers »

Brutus, that old red tub of Cella brought back some fond memories for me too. Made me feel good, just smelling that familiar old scent.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
pausted

Post by pausted »

Gary, I have completely given up on trying to "figure it out'. Like you, I planned to use stuff up and get down to a few favorites. Then I keep buying stuff that I feel that I would like. I just can't seem to stick with the plan. I finally decided that this daily shaving requirement has become an enjoyable hobby. It is no longer a chore but instead, something to be enjoyed. So I no longer stress about the amount of shaving gear that I have. I'll enjoy the variety and not worry about the volume. :D
Best regards,

Basil
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I'm perfectly happy to par down or to build up, it's a pleasant view wherever I look.
Regards,
Squire
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I have found that Cella loses its scent over time. It smells like old Ivory hand soap after a while. LOL.
I gave up on limiting myself to a few items, the acquisitions keep adding up..............
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
brothers

Post by brothers »

Squire, that's an enlightened viewpoint. Some of us tend to overthink and analzye, but you are right. One should do what feels appropriate, enjoy the moment, and trust ourselves to do the right thing at the right time. Easy come, easy go. Never look back. It's all good. Thanks.
Gary

Flash G

Post by Flash G »

I am slowly switching myself over from soaps to creams in the hope that I'll use them up quicker and so be able to by more :)
Eric
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I like your positive attitude Eric.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Now that I've somewhat satiated my ardor with the lovely Cella red tub Crema da Barba, I can take a covert glance in the direction of the Extra Extra Purissima (1K block). Smells to my nose a little sweeter than the red tub Cella. The recipe is the same, and the fragrances of the two are very similar. At this time, I am taken by the heavenly less sweet scent of the red tub. Either way, I'm spoken for. Not faithful to the extent of the exculsion of all other soaps, you understand, just enjoying the abundance of the bounty that has come my way.
Gary

kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

I find myself moving toward hard soaps, especially Harris. But I'm finishing up my red tub of Cella and can't see not including a fresh tub in the next order. Stuff lathers like crazy, slick, and a little goes a long way. Some mornings I like the scent, other mornings just not interested. My nose changes day to day. Nice thing is that it rinses off so completely that you have your choice of aftershave.
Ed
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I've always liked Cella just never think to order any.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Now that the MdC is less than a week from disappearing down the drain, I can say that after that, for about 3 weeks or so, I'll be enjoying the NOS tallow Art of Shaving Sandalwood soap, which will be followed up with this great bowl of Cella I've been looking forward to using. It's comforting to have a plan again.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

The plan seems to be working so far. I enjoyed 24 days with the AOS, when it came time to set it aside I was still loving it and looking forward to the next shave. Today began a few days with both varieties of Cella (Crema da Barba red bowl, and Crema Sapone Extra Extra Purissima block). It's all good.
Gary