Krampert's Finest Acadian Spice Bay Rum shaving soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Krampert's Finest Acadian Spice Bay Rum shaving soap

Post by brothers »

I think I should buy myself a cake of this new soap for when the Martin de Candre runs out in about 5 weeks. If I like it after the first couple of trial runs, I might even shove it into the same wooden bowl that currently houses the MdC so I can use the whole cake from start to finish. That might be another fun project.
Edit - purchase complete.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
beartrap

Re: Krampert's Finest Acadian Spice Bay Rum shaving soap

Post by beartrap »

You should! I've been using it for a about a week now and love it. It's not a cake though, it's soft and very millable, about the same size as MdC, so you can stick it in that bowl :)
Steve
celar36

Post by celar36 »

How do you find using that soap?
Jack
beartrap

Post by beartrap »

If you like the scent of KFBR, you will love this. Soap is a top performer with one of the greatest scents!
Steve
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Jack, some things would bad form for me to write much about in depth. But maybe this video will help. Other than sending the soap I had nothing to do with the video, despite the way that it begins, and was informed of it this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6EYqyJ ... r_embedded

James does mention it early on; approximately 3 minutes and then again 15minutes in.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

Different strokes, for sure. He spent a full minute and 54 (1:54) seconds working the brush on the soap. I'll spend 15 or 16 (:15) seconds on that part of the show. :shock:
I am stoked to be getting my own giant tub of this soap, for sure. I'm liking what I see so far.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Yeah, I definitely caught that; that brush loading was nuts. But that area of the country has extremely hard water. Even so, I doubt he needed that much soap. I have soft water and load for much less time; maybe 10- 15 seconds total and I have more than enough on my brush. I also don't put water in the tub to soften the soap, or whatever that's intended to do. I also hydrate my soap more than he did.

I just moisten the brush if it's natural fiber, then remove as much of the free water as possible. Then load and add water as required to get my soap paste. Naturally, synthetic brushes are used differently (no pre wetting for me).
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
JayDee

Post by JayDee »

Brian, I'm dying for you to come out with a nice strongly-mentholated soap. With your know-how and talent I'm sure you'd be able to do it! :idea:
brothers

Post by brothers »

JayDee wrote:Brian, I'm dying for you to come out with a nice strongly-mentholated soap. With your know-how and talent I'm sure you'd be able to do it! :idea:
That's got to be next, no doubt about it! (Please!)
Gary

flintlock

Post by flintlock »

Thanks for the heads up Gary, Awesome to hear about this Soap. Congrat's on this Brian. I'm going to your site now. :lol:

Anthony
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

JayDee wrote:Brian, I'm dying for you to come out with a nice strongly-mentholated soap. With your know-how and talent I'm sure you'd be able to do it! :idea:
You aren't the first person to request it. I have a question after a statement. I explored a mentholated soap maybe 2 years ago. It's certainly not hard to make and have it smell good. The problem I had with it it that a mentholated soap "steals" the cold from the after shave if it too is mentholated. One can only trick the nerves into being so cold and then any more menthol is wasted. The nerves sort of OD on it. Understanding that, would you still want the mentholated soap or would that be a deal breaker?
Brian

brothers

Post by brothers »

When I follow a mentholated soap (Proraso) with Krampert's Frostbite, it's never intended to achieve "colder", it's always to maintain the cooling sensation a little while longer. You can make it and it'll sell. Try not to overthink stuff! :D
Gary

JayDee

Post by JayDee »

ShadowsDad wrote:
You aren't the first person to request it. I have a question after a statement. I explored a mentholated soap maybe 2 years ago. It's certainly not hard to make and have it smell good. The problem I had with it it that a mentholated soap "steals" the cold from the after shave if it too is mentholated. One can only trick the nerves into being so cold and then any more menthol is wasted. The nerves sort of OD on it. Understanding that, would you still want the mentholated soap or would that be a deal breaker?
Brian, yupp - I'd still want it! :)
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Yours aren't the first requests I've had for it; they began soon after I released Frostbite AS, but with the release of the ASBR shave soap the requests have increased. I've just discussed it with other folks and there is a demand for it. OK, the short story is that I'll develop it. Expect it to very closely mimic the Frostbite. It will be made by Seifenglatt.

In my testing of menthol soap maybe 2 years ago I found that a hot rinse between passes was just insane after the menthol. The blast of cold followed by the hot, and both sensations being felt simultaneously was just nuts!

Expect it soon. If I think I need to test it expect that to lengthen the time to release.
Brian

brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm one who never rinses between passes. I just relather and move on.
Gary

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

It'll still work, you just won't get the extreme contrast in feelings.
Brian

JayDee

Post by JayDee »

ShadowsDad wrote:It'll still work, you just won't get the extreme contrast in feelings.
Brian, I have confidence in you - anything you make will turn out awesome! :)
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Brian, I went to west coast and also the italian to buy some of your soap, but neither carries it.......are you the only one selling at this time? btw, went to bullgoose too.....i thought he would have the inside track HAHAHAHA

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

It arrived yesterday and I used it this morning. Fifteen (15) second loading with some scalding hot water from the tap directly on the soap, and the dry brush. Transferred the proto - lather to the bowl to build the lather, adding a few dashes of hot tap water and the finished product was excellent. Two characteristics that impress me the most are a very mild cooling sensation during and after the shave, and a slickness that clearly exceeds my soon-to-be - exhausted Martin de Candre fougere soap. Fragrance is spot-on. In the next few days I'll prepare a full-blown review for posting.
Last edited by brothers on Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

fallingwickets wrote:Brian, I went to west coast and also the italian to buy some of your soap, but neither carries it.......are you the only one selling at this time? btw, went to bullgoose too.....i thought he would have the inside track HAHAHAHA

clive
Clive, I ordered mine from the Krampert's webstore on Christmas day and it was in my mailbox on Monday.
Last edited by brothers on Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary