Unscented - Fragrance Free Items

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
slackskin

Unscented - Fragrance Free Items

Post by slackskin »

Hello gents -

I have been married for almost 47 years, and positively love her. As we age, her respiratory system is going downhill overall. She is getting progressively more sensitive to scents of all kinds (not just in shaving products), and they make it harder for her to breathe. Why would I want to cause her any discomfort? -- I wouldn't. In addition, my sniffer has never been very good, so scents don't mean much to me anyhow.

The net result is that I am looking for creams and soaps without fragrance. Are there any unscented/fragrance-free products you would recommend?

Thanks very much for your time.
CMur12

Re: Unscented - Fragrance Free Items

Post by CMur12 »

I'm very sensitive to fragrances, too, though I am usually okay with natural scents if they aren't too strong.

Valobra now makes soap in a cake that is available in unscented form. This is probably my favorite soap made by a major manufacturer.

A lot of the artisan soapmakers offer unscented products. These soaps are of very good quality and I also keep a supply of them. Our own Tim/TRBeck is going to be offering his soap for sale, and it is exceptionally good.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

In my own experience with unscented products, T&H describes Ultimate Comfort shaving cream as unscented. It's a luxurious shaving cream. I am happy to learn that Tim is evidently preparing to offer one. Definitely worthy of consideration.

Ultimately though, XPEC makes an unscented shaving cream in an enormous tub, and it literally has no discernable fragrance. Offered by Straight Razor Design and Olde Town. Newly reformulated and somewhat hard to find, XPEC is world class, to coin a phrase.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Like Murray, I have scent sensitivities as well. They have become more strong and prevalent as I have aged -- especially over the past 10 years or so. It can be so debilitating at times that I can't be in the same room with many people who wear strong fragrances --- and am especially prone to having breathing issues around any hint of vanilla, as well as tobacco, which results always in my sinuses closing up and my having a very difficult time to breathe fully. The resultant feeling is like someone has put me in an airlock and is closing off the flow of oxygen. I have consulted with an allergist who confirmed that it was a sensitivity to "pollutants" in the air, not an allergy, but that this can be very profound in many people as they age .... a thing which is normal.

Having said all this, none of the fragrances I shave with, oddly, has bothered me. That includes C&E Sienna as well as Tabac --- oddly enough.

In addition to T&H unscented, you may find MWF is an acceptable option. Yes there is a scent, but it is not your typical shaving product scent.

Best of luck figuring this out.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

Thanks to all for your guidance.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Slack I had a similar situation some years back and found she could tolerate some the milder lime or lavender stuff. Don't know if that's helpful but there it is for what its worth. By all means seek to accommodate her.
Regards,
Squire
J T

Post by J T »

TOBS Natural S C - a relatively new product from Taylor, a natural formula and no scent- very nice cream

Imperial Barber Glycerin Soap..interesting product and it gives a very nice shave with very good skincare - no scent
~ Jack
herbert7890

Post by herbert7890 »

I have the same problem with essential oils and thus, have switched my den to almost completely unscented. These are my top Unscented Shavings soaps in my den, who offer excellent performance, cushion and great lather:

Martin de Candre - Unscented (Sans Fragrance, in their website)
Mike's Natural Soaps - Unscented
Mystic Water Soap - Sensitive skin (Unscented)
Shannon's Soap - Nil (Unscented)
Catie's Bubble - Le Nude (Unscented)
Barrister & Mann - Unscented
Strop Shoppe LE with Tallow - Unscented
Soap Commander - Integrity (Unscented)
Tiki Bar Soap Unscented (Either Vegan or Tallow, made by request)
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements - Scentless
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome to SMF, herbert7890!

I must point out that I ordered the "unscented" Martin de Candre/MdC soap and was terribly disappointed to discover that it smelled just like the original to me (same horrid fragrance). Some say that it isn't as strong, but it certainly isn't unscented.

- Murray
herbert7890

Post by herbert7890 »

Thank you Cmur!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes Herbert, welcome aboard.
Regards,
Squire
Ken

Post by Ken »

The Art of Shaving has a complete line of unscented shaving products.

Ken
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Ken wrote:The Art of Shaving has a complete line of unscented shaving products.

Ken
And to be fair, it isn't all that bad either.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

AOS-bashing seems popular on the several forums. And that's too bad. I agree that their razors and blades are uber-expensive. OTOH, performance of their creams is particularly good. And the price of their cream is not that crazy considering the product quality plus no shipping cost if purchased at the local AOS store.
J T

Post by J T »

Kiss My Face makes an Unscented cream - excellent product, natural ingredients and very inexpensive. The scents of the creams is very mild.
~ Jack