Proraso Pre Shave

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
sgtrecon212

Proraso Pre Shave

Post by sgtrecon212 »

I have to admit complete ignorance.. Am I using this stuff right? I'm in the shower, I wash my face, then I rub this in for a bit, rinse it off. Then get out, lather up and shave.

Am I doing this right?
Steve
______
Go Cubbies
Flash G

Re: Proraso Pre Shave

Post by Flash G »

I use the oatmeal Pre Shave. I wet my face, rub it in and then leave it on my face and lather over. Works very well for me as I get a closer shave, especially along and below the jawline.
I also use Trumper's Skin Food the same way and for the same reason and that works well too. I've also noticed som aftershave balms give a similar effect used as a pre shave (Musgo Real balm and Harris milk)

The way my beard grows along my jawline makes it lie very close to the skin and difficult to get a close shave without a lot of touch-ups and using Trumper's Skin Food of Proraso Pre Shave eliminates this. I don't get the same effect if I rub in shaving cream.

I don't use shaving oils.
Eric
Nick Freeh

Re: Proraso Pre Shave

Post by Nick Freeh »

sgtrecon212 wrote:I have to admit complete ignorance.. Am I using this stuff right? I'm in the shower, I wash my face, then I rub this in for a bit, rinse it off. Then get out, lather up and shave.

Am I doing this right?
I would suggest leaving the pre-shave on your face for a couple of minutes (I use the time to get my razor, soap, etc. out) so that it can be absorbed. Then, apply the lather and shave as usual. By the way, only a little dab of pre-shave is needed and I always wet my face well with warm water before applying. I've experimented with using a pre-shave/not using a pre-shave and I notice that on the days that I use it my face remains smooth noticeably longer. I take this to mean that I receive closer shaves when using a pre-shave. I like the Proraso--I'm not a huge fan of the scent, but that soon goes away during the shaving process.

Vance