noob here...noob question

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
old_dood

noob here...noob question

Post by old_dood »

first a little about me. around Christmas I decided I really hated getting out of the shower and putting ice cold shaving cream from a can onto my face so I did a little research and found out about shaving scuttles. well, along with that I was going to need a brush and some soap in order to achieve some warm lather. I selected what I thought would be good choices, put them on my Amazon wish list, and the girls in my life came through. my first shave with a Edwin Jagger brush, and Proraso soap whipped up in Georgetown Pottery scuttle was on December 25th.

I've been lurking here a few weeks and picked up on what is considered good hard and software related to shaving. some I've tried and don't really agree with (Clinique after shave healer..or whatever) and others I like a great deal (Mitchells wool fat soap).

The Taylor of Old Bond Street soaps seem to get a lot of positive opinions. I see them on Amazon and it's specified as being a cream. Does that mean it's soft? Just wondering since the soaps I've already bought are hard and, as you know, require a moistened brush rubbed into them to pick up enough soap in order to whip it up in the scuttle.

Al
brothers

Re: noob here...noob question

Post by brothers »

Hello Al, and a hearty welcome aboard! Nice first post. Just to clarify some of the details regardng Taylor of Old Bond Street (TOBS or Taylor's for short). Taylor makes a very nice shaving cream which comes in a veritable rainbow of fragrances, either by the tube or the tub. This is not to be confused with Taylor's hard soaps, which consist of Sandalwood and Lime. They recently discontinued their Lavender soap, and possibly still offer St. James soap in stick form only, if it hasn't been discontinued also. Taylor's soaps as well as their creams yield a thick and rich lather. Taylor's creams and soaps are priced very conservatively, and are available through most internet and brick and mortar stores. Enough about Taylors. DR Harris makes a very good shaving soap in addition to several shaving creams in tub or tube. Trumpers offers creams and soaps, of course, but while their shaving creams are excellent, their soaps have fallen into hard times due to a rough start following a reformulation, and have caused some frustration among the shaving forums. Traditional classics, to be sure. It sounds like you know your own mind regarding all of this stuff. Mitchell's Woolfat soap is unique, and iconic around these parts. That and Tabac, which is a lather-making machine with a unique and polarizing fragrance. Best regards, and thanks for posting with us here at SMF.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey Al, welcome aboard, glad to see you could join us.
Regards,
Squire
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome to SMF, Al. Glad you could join us.

- Murray
old_dood

Post by old_dood »

Yes, Tabac is another I bought and like. There have been some clunkers I've tried. you really can't go by Amazon reviews. one went right in the garbage after two tries. my question, though, about the TOBS cremes. is the consistancy something like toothpaste or similar, and if so, how much is generally necessary?

thanks
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yes, it would be much like toothpaste, especially in the tube. An almond sized portion or thereabouts would be a good starting point, then you can adjust to suit your own preference.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

If you have hard water generally you'll need more, and soft water requires less, but those aren't the only factors.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
old_dood

Post by old_dood »

water hardness not bad at the hacienda. thanks for the tip. on a side note, I started using L'Occitane Bavx after shave balm a few weeks ago. like how it feels on my face and find the aroma somewhat familiar. I received some Verizon rewards points from my cellular provider and they have Baux cologne at a substantial discount. so to see If I wanted to buy some I took a trip to the mall (good excuse to smoke a cigar) to visit the local L'Occitane store and sprayed some on. it's nearly the same as Canoe, what I remember to be very popular at the time of my yoot (early '60's). I loved it, and ordered some when I got home.
brothers

Post by brothers »

The L'Occitane Bavx does have a pleasing scent. I don't have any, but my wife likes it, so that makes it ok whenever I eventually end up with some of it.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Ah, Canoe, youth, mini skirts, memories . . .
Regards,
Squire
old_dood

Post by old_dood »

Squire wrote:Ah, Canoe, youth, mini skirts, memories . . .
putting things on "layaway", the Steve Allen show, Bob Dylan...
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

The college kids have rediscovered Dylan and were shocked when I told them the guy is older than me.
Regards,
Squire