Cella Crema da Barba - red tub

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Cella Crema da Barba - red tub

Post by brothers »

Used it this morning. I love the fragrance. I say that because just a few years back it made me physically gag. I have no explanation, just the fact. It's called bitter almond fragrance, not to be confused with the other Cella in the 1000g block, called Crema Sapone Extra Extra Purissima, which has a sweeter almond scent than the red tub soap, more similar to many other Italian almond soft soaps. Anyway, Cella has been made in Italy since 1899, 116 years. Contains tallow. It's got it all. Cushion, slickness, nice post-shave face feel. Only costs around $10 for 150g of shaving soap. For the next 3 weeks or so, I'm going to be using both versions of Cella.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Gene

Re: Cella Crema da Barba - red tub

Post by Gene »

Well, I love red tub Cella. One of my all-time favorites, and always high in the rotation, no doubt.

My current tub has a much better scent than the first one did - I always think of the soft drink Dr. Pepper when I smell it...but that's just me.

And, it lasts forever - this tube is well over two years old (I had it when we moved from Georgia to Texas) - and it's still going strong.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yeah, I would have to say I'm a Cella fan, both of the cream and it's scent.
Regards,
Squire
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Well, since I don't use creams, I would have to assert that this is a soft soap and NOT A CREAM! [-X
And if you don't agree with me, I can't hear you! 8)

Anyway, I have used both the red tub and the kilo brick, and I haven't noticed any difference between them, but I haven't actually had the two side by side for comparison. Regardless, I like the scent and I think it is great soap.

- Murray
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

CMur12 wrote:Well, since I don't use creams, I would have to assert that this is a soft soap and NOT A CREAM! [-X
And if you don't agree with me, I can't hear you! 8)

Cream - soap, I can live with both as long as you don't call is "croap".
I associate that word with something that comes out of the front end of my dog when she wolves down her food to quick; or with rather ungracefully passing from phsyical life - and shaving makes me feel very much alive.

But then again, sometimes I feel I might qualify for RGOF (Resident Old Grumpy Fart).

In my vocabulary, Cella is a semi-hard soap and I like Cella very much, even though I prefer the various Valobra hard and semi-hard soaps by a small margin.
Currently I'm using other soaps, but I used the red tub mainly when travelling and the 1kg brick for filling my apothecary shaving mug at home.

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Question: Does it actually smell like bitter almonds or Dr. Pepper? I can't take almond scents because I was a chemist in my working years and the odor of cyanide still haunts me---just like bitter almonds. On the other hand I really haven't tried to smell the scent of Dr. Pepper but I have always liked the flavor. Prefer the sugar kind not the diet. Oh, yes, some bottlers have ruined that too by putting in too little flavor syrup.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Gene

Post by Gene »

Pete - I guess you would have to be the judge of that. I ca't say what a bitter almond scent is - but to me Cella is different than any almond scent I have ever used -(Coates, C&E).

I do like Dr. Pepper,though, and somebody once speculated that was more of a cherry?
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
brothers

Post by brothers »

This morning I used it with the Plisson. Got great results.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hm. I always thought Dr Pepper tasted like carbonated prune juice. :x

- Murray
BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

I like Dr. Pepper and I like Cella. I think my favorite thing about Cella is the tallow. Maybe it's just power of suggestion, but I find that soaps with tallow just shave better, and leave my skin feeling better too. Many of the "croaps" (I know some people hate that word - sorry) that come as pucks, like Stirling or Mystic Waters, are the consistency of clay, and that is wonderful for using small containers (i.e. whilst traveling) and produce absolutely marvelous lather. Those 4oz plastic disposable containers sold in grocery stores are perfect for this -- actually any shape container will work for the "clay" soaps.

I am a face latherer, and these small containers allow me to really load my brush with soap before building the lather right on my beard. The only complaints I've read online regarding Cella shaving soap involve the small size of the famous (infamous?) red plastic tub. As a face latherer, using a small to medium size brush, this is a non-issue with me -- I load the hell out of the soap with my brush, and then move brush to face where the lather happens.

I have to say that I'm mystified by the numerous online reports of problems getting shaving soaps to lather. I've yet to encounter any problems getting my soaps to lather. Even in hard water situations (i.e. southern California) my soaps lather abundantly. After all, there are only two ingredients to make lather; soap and water. Blend them in a reasonably sensible fashion, and you will achieve a reasonably good lather. (Too dry? add water. Too wet? more product. Too difficult? buy aerosol.)

Cella always delivers for me -- just hope they don't succumb to the same temptation others have, and re-formulate. There's usually a stated reason (import/export regulations and the like) but I hope it isn't simple greed.

What, naive.....me?
Never.
Last edited by BiffBuff on Wed May 06, 2015 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
disengage
brothers

Post by brothers »

After almost 20 days of alternating between the two Cellas (Sapone - block, and da Barba - red tub), it became apparent that the soap in the red tub lost its appeal, meaning I'm tired of it. Yesterday I even entertained the thought that I was going to be glad when the red tub ran out. Then I remembered I'm still the boss and I don't have to use a particular little sticky blob of soap if I don't want to. But the Sapone blossomed into a keeper and it makes me smile. I'm going to finish out my 24 days of Cella using the Sapone exclusively before it's time to move on.
Gary

gsgo

Post by gsgo »

What are your perceptions as to the differences between the Sapone and Crema (Red Tub)?
Good shaving,

Gary
brothers

Post by brothers »

It's just a feeling I have, actually, because they're both great performing soaps. They work. They smell different to my nose. When I got the red tub a few months ago, the smell was abundantly pleasant to me. I hadn't smelled Cella in 4 or 5 years and my brain's smelling mechanism just loved it after all that time. Now, not so much. It's ok, and it is what it is. The Sapone is a better form of ok. The red tub makes me wonder why I have to use it. The Sapone makes me smile. That's all I need to know. I've got my Cella and it smells great. :D
Gary

Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

Hello Gents,
I too like most users love using Cella as it produces a wonderful lather and a great shave! In the past I have only used the little red tubs and they last me quite awhile since I use other soaps in a rotation. I was considering buying the brick to always have refill possibilities but now after reading they might be somehow different im really interested. My question is this: if stored properly in a Ziploc bag or two, how long would the kilo stay fresh and last as it would take me years to use it up, maybe lifetime. do you guys prefer to store it away in a dark and dry place or do you refridgerate or freeze it. I would like to hear your take from the gents who have stored this kilo for a long time.
thanks
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

As would I, that big ole block was just too much of a commitment for me. Can slices be frozen?
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Mine will be stored alongside everything else in the cool dark closet. I see no reason to do otherwise. Cella is no different but it's really cheap in bulk.
Gary

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I wouldn't freeze it, as I would fear altering the molecular structure of the soap. (I'm not a chemist, however, so this is purely intuitive speculation.) I bought the kilo and refrigerated the unused portion, keeping it well sealed to prevent dessication in the refrigerator.

It takes me a long time to go through an individual serving of Cella and I have never had any of it go bad on me. Nevertheless, it is a soft soap and it has no preservatives in it, so I would be reluctant to store a kilo brick at room temperature for the years it would take me to use it all up.

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes, it doesn't sound like a good idea, idle speculation. Some years back the lid on my Cella came loose and the contents mildewed in our hot, humid climate. No biggie, just decided to exercise caution with it in the future.
Regards,
Squire