WAR Shaving Cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Ouchmychin

WAR Shaving Cream

Post by Ouchmychin »

I just bought a tube of WAR shaving cream on ebay. I believe it is made in Poland. If I recall correctly someone posted a description of WAR here previously. Anyone tried it? Or will I have to wait and try it myself?
Ouchmychin (Pete)
malocchio

Re: WAR Shaving Cream

Post by malocchio »

WARS ???...Very good Polish cream,in fact,Poland has a nice selection of aftershaves and creams.http://www.rossnet.pl/Produkt/Wars-Krem ... 5,1716,663
brothers

Post by brothers »

Pete it's an excellent shaving cream. The fragrance is bold and masculine. Makes a good thick lather.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I got it with free shipping for $4.95. Now I hope it gets here soon. From somewhere in New York I believe. Thank goodness I don't have to wait for it to come from Poland.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

It's good stuff Pete, certainly the equal of the usual Creighton products. I would call the scent a European cologne style that is a bit strong for some but I don't find it off putting in the least.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

yup, +1 more, what everyone else wrote.

If you see Bond, I thought it was a hair better, but just a hair.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

For some reason, I've had a craving for Wars lately, so I used it again yesterday, and it's right up there with the best. I'm going to use it for a few days to come, in a 3 cream rotation - Castle Forbes Lime, Nancy Boy Blossomwood, and Wars. Quite a variety, and all of which are great performers.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thirteen great shaves from this tube so far and it appears there are at least that many still ahead before it's all gone. This is a slick cream and that's what I want, in addition to a firm lather.
Gary

Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Today I ran out of Coates Lavender cream and decided to try the Wars. What a contrast. Immediately noticed the scent, which to me, is like incense, cheap incense. So different from the Coates. Then the lather. It is the densest cream I have ever tried. When a dollop landed in the wash basin, it refused to rinse down the drain. Held together and was almost water repellent. Different from the Coates which, to me, has a fattier, creamier feel but rinses down the drain easily. Had a good shave. Will just have to get used to the scent.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Pete, to my nose, the impact of the scent does diminish after using it a few days. It smells the same, but the newness of a particular scent grows familiar to the nose and it becomes mildly pleasant after just a few days. This is not a physical thing, but a psychological perception. Kind of like ALL the rest of our shaving products. :D As for the thickness of the lather in your case, I suggest you may have needed to add water. I've learned from using it each and every day for the past 3 weeks (today will be day 22 in a row) that I have to add water to get to increase the volume of lather. The lather easily dissolves and goes down the drain just as we all expect. I'm glad to hear you've used it, and I hope you'll come to enjoy your little tube of Wars. My tube will be all used up in about 2 more days.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Not everybody gets past the scent Pete but a value cream does present with lower expectations.
Regards,
Squire
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I have been using my Wars cream in a different way to modify the scent. I just squeeze a couple of inches on top of a soap with a scent I like and rub the brush on both for about 30-40 seconds. I have been getting a fantastic, protective lather and a more sublime scent. Now I have to go to the bathroom to check which soap. It was Cold River Soapworks Classic Savon #1.
Ouchmychin (Pete)