best cold water shaves

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
czbeme

best cold water shaves

Post by czbeme »

Since we're coming into summer, I like to shave with cold water.
So if you do the same what soaps or creams are your favorites?

Thanks,
Curt
CMur12

Re: best cold water shaves

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Curt, welcome to SMF!

I can't report from personal experience, but I have heard from others that Williams Mug Soap actually lathers better with cold water.

- Murray
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

:lol:

It may lather better, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's good. For years I gave Williams the benefit of the doubt, but it's just... Oh well, many words have been input about this. I won't continue.

I opened this thinking the OP wanted to know what my best cold water shave was. That would be in the military when I used a cartridge. I don't do them anymore... period. I think I'd rather look like a barbarian than to do cold water shaving again. There are other, and IMO better, ways to get a cool shave than with cold water. YMMV.

Check out menthol.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Curt I've had good results shaving with cold water but don't make a practice of it. Were I to do it intentionally I would probably choose lime scented soap/cream/aftershave.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

My preferred temperature is hot, I've found creams and soaps that do well with hot water. I haven't pursued cold water shaving due to my military days when showers and shaves, if any, were with cold water only. I know there are some guys who report good results with cold.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

I determined to give CWS a try, and used cold water exclusively for about three months. I was hoping to find that it had some advantages in shave quality. At the end of that period I came to the conclusion that, for me, the only advantage came from having no need to heat water.

I live in a house with a water heater, so that's really not much of an advantage. Cold water feels nice in hot weather, and I'm glad to know that if I'm without hot water, I can shave just fine. Most of us have been faced with a situation where hot water simply wasn't an option -- always good to have plan B.

As far as soaps go, I've found that they all seem to perform about the same for me - hot or cold. I read a post somewhere that hinted at cold water for folks having difficulty lathering MWF, but Mitchell's has always lathered great for me hot or cold.
disengage
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I don't think water temperature has any influence on lather quality so I just follow my mood.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I have cold water shaved only a few times myself. I like it with water as hot as I can handle. ymmv.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
czbeme

Post by czbeme »

Mostly last year I used CO Bigelow eucalyptus and loved it.
I just like the cold shaves in the summer since I don't use AC unless the temp breaks 100F,
and even then I just drop the temp 10 degrees and it feels cold.
So getting up in the morning that's 75-85 deg and using cold tap feels great,
and I shower as cold as I can stand it burrrrrrrrr!

Thanks,
Curt