Portus Cale Black Edition Shaving Soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Portus Cale Black Edition Shaving Soap

Post by brothers »

New product from a very old Portuguese soap maker Castelbel. I'm just wondering if anyone here has tried it. I gather that Black Edition is a proprietary fragrance that the maker has chosen for the Men's range of products. One would assume it's going to be a great soap, but aside from Irisch Moos, most new shaving soaps from major commercial firms are "less than outstanding". I really hope that isn't going to be the case with this shaving soap. I want to see them succeed, thrive, and prosper.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
malocchio

Re: Portus Cale Black Edition Shaving Soap

Post by malocchio »

I've been waiting for reviews on this one as well...Ingredient list seems a little bizarre,main ingredient is "propylene glycol",third is "sucrose" ??? This doesn't look like ingredients were listed by weight,at least I hope not...
Attachments
P1060044_zps33d219ae.jpg
P1060044_zps33d219ae.jpg (62.94 KiB) Viewed 2555 times
P1060043_zpsb584961d.jpg
P1060043_zpsb584961d.jpg (95.33 KiB) Viewed 2555 times
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

I've got it, and it's actually got a nice performance, and the scent is indeed a winner IMO, but it just looks too much like a melt and pour soap to me... Plus, and as stated before, the ingredient list is strange, to say the least.
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

It looks like it is based on "detergent" (sodium laureth sulfate) rather than soap (no saponifier: no sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide).

- Murray
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Melt and pour with a detergent. Not to say it isn't a good performer - I've had detergent creams and M&P soaps that were good. But it is definitely a melt and pour base.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

TRBeck wrote:Melt and pour with a detergent. Not to say it isn't a good performer - I've had detergent creams and M&P soaps that were good. But it is definitely a melt and pour base.
It is a pretty good performer, and with a lovely scent to boot, but considering how many even better performers there currently are, and without detergents in them... I definitely won't be buying this one again.
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Think I'll pass as well.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Someone kindly pointed out that Teiste got one of these soaps almost 2 years ago and posted his thorough review on TSN. Smells great and pretty much OK in other respects. I'm going to ride this one out as well.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444